RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 08:10 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Hesitation

My RX is 99 with 114K+ miles on it. The temp gauge was just approaching "normal" and I was at dead stop.

This morning, I was made a left turn on to a busy Hwy. Fortunately, there was adequate margin (approaching car) but this is what took place.

I almost floored the gas pedal.
Stearing was turned to the right (may be halfway ... not all the way for sure).
I hear squeel of tire(s).
My RX started to crawwwl making the turn on to the Hwy.
I kept the acc . pedal pushed down but the RX would not gain speed (either in wrong gear or no energy).
Although it seemed like eternity but slowly the RX gained speed (never felt the kick down).
Lucky that I had ample margin (or the car on the hwy slowed down ... no sharp breaking or blowing of horn or even the proverbial birdie).

I have had similar thing happen on my GS and that is due to adaptive learning. One has to reset the ecu once in a while.

Any thoughts?

Salim

oops wrong forum .. belongs in Rx300 ... Mods can you please move it there.
Old 12-15-06, 11:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I have had this same issue, and I have had the sneaking suspicion it is something in the ECU to protect the tranny. I will be at a toll plaza, pay the toll and then press the gas to go straight and slow acceleraiton. On slow turns sometimes where the wheel has not fully come around, hit the gas and slow acceleraiton or even a pause, I go no where and then suddenly away I go.

I will try to replicate this tomorrow when I go over to my uncle's place.

What one has to do to see this is turn the wheel one way about half way to the left or the right, or the other and then hit the gas and see how long it take your RX300 to respond (accelerate even after the steering wheel is completely straight).

I have may even have a more pronounced effect given the altitude and low oxygen content.

Maybe I could do a video of this if I can replicate it.
Old 12-17-06, 07:10 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
My RX is 99 with 114K+ miles on it. The temp gauge was just approaching "normal" and I was at dead stop.

This morning, I was made a left turn on to a busy Hwy. Fortunately, there was adequate margin (approaching car) but this is what took place.

I almost floored the gas pedal.
Stearing was turned to the right (may be halfway ... not all the way for sure).
I have had similar instants where accellerating quickly from a sharp turn (and I felt the accellerator hessitate) and I was told it is something built into ecu to prevent roll over. Makes sense.

Don't know how true it is... At first I thought it was trani problems, until I was told, "don't worry about it, thats how they are intentially designed to react."

Salim, my only concern would be that it appears at some point you were on a straight stretch of road, and the vehicle was still lethargic in performance... That is certainly not normal. I would be taking the inexpensive approach, ie: clean the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner (non residue type) and reset the ecu...
Old 12-17-06, 09:34 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fern
I have had similar instants where accellerating quickly from a sharp turn (and I felt the accellerator hessitate) and I was told it is something built into ecu to prevent roll over. Makes sense.

Don't know how true it is... At first I thought it was trani problems, until I was told, "don't worry about it, thats how they are intentially designed to react."

Salim, my only concern would be that it appears at some point you were on a straight stretch of road, and the vehicle was still lethargic in performance... That is certainly not normal. I would be taking the inexpensive approach, ie: clean the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner (non residue type) and reset the ecu...
I take some pretty tight high speed turns sometimes, and will have to see if I can replicate it that way, too. Tires schreech often.
Old 12-17-06, 11:30 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I have had trac lightup on me in a straight line, due to lack of traction. But it always seem to be in the right gear and within moments the RX would comply.

The situation uniquenses was that I was trying to do a fast start wot (from stand still) with the steering turned left.

I will try to recreate the scenario by going straight as well as with steering turned left.

This was the only time that it seems I had lost all the ponies and engine never got into high rpms. As a GS owner, I have had similar feeling that always gets fixed by ecu reset.

Does RX have adaptive learning? If so it woudl require clearing ecu memory.

Salim
Old 12-17-06, 11:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by salimshah
I have had trac lightup on me in a straight line, due to lack of traction. But it always seem to be in the right gear and within moments the RX would comply.

The situation uniquenses was that I was trying to do a fast start wot (from stand still) with the steering turned left.

I will try to recreate the scenario by going straight as well as with steering turned left.

This was the only time that it seems I had lost all the ponies and engine never got into high rpms. As a GS owner, I have had similar feeling that always gets fixed by ecu reset.

Does RX have adaptive learning? If so it woudl require clearing ecu memory.

Salim
It does have adaptive learning. I have done a few tests where I clear the memory before going to the track and not, and always when I clear it does so much better after I kill the data from my daily slow commute.
Old 05-17-13, 01:05 PM
Larry62
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys....My 2000 RX300 has been problem free till just recently. What happens is after a good warm up,there is an occasional slight hesitation when starting from a complete stop.
i cleaned the maf sensor but no cure. Any ideas floating around out there.

Thanks Larrry
Old 05-17-13, 02:23 PM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had the same experience in my wifes' ES330 (3MZ-FE engine) on multiple occasions but never on my 99 RX. Lexus wanted an arm & a leg ( and perhaps a first born child) to reprogram the transmission when we complained about it but we passed because they wouldn't guarantee it would fix the problem.
Old 05-17-13, 04:15 PM
powerslide
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read my thread above yours. 2001 engine miss from a dead stop. Solution for me that may help you.