RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Possible O2 Sensor cheaper fix. Oxygen Sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 06:17 PM
asadchinoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible O2 Sensor cheaper fix. Oxygen Sensor.

So, my check engine light came on in my 2000 RX300 the other day. I check the codes and search the CL forums and find out the problem is the O2 sensor (upstream, near the firewall). I get online to find a replacement O2 sensor and find some Denso O2 sensors ($160) that will work, but being the busy and impatient person that I am. I wanted my O2 sensors today. I call the Lexus dealership and they wanted $280 for an O2 sensor. I thought for a minute and decided to see if a Toyota Sienna O2 sensor would work, since it is the same engine. I called the Toyota dealership and it was only $140. So I bought it. During the installation I realized that the plug is slightly different. The plugs were the same shape but the Toyota one had an extra tab on the plug that wouldn’t allow it to fit in. So to fix the problem I just cut the plug off and soldered the Lexus plug on the wires. They are the same colors, I just matched the colors and soldered. So far it has worked and no check engine light, it has been 4 days. You could modify the Toyota plug to fit, but I found it to be easier to just replace it with the Lexus plug. Hope this helps some of you.

Thanks,
Asad
Old 09-20-06, 06:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't doubt you can mix Toyota and Lexus parts from different vehicles. Last December, I had to use a Camry ignition coil as a temporary fix on my RX. The coil worked ok, but I could tell there was an ever slight performance difference when I got my new RX coil.

In the modification I basically had to sand it down a little to get it to fit, but it hooked up just fine.

Sienna and RX engines are similar, both 1MZFE on our equivalent years.

However, this is a good find since if I ever need an O2 sensor in a pinch, I can go over to Toyota (no Lexus in Mexico) and my uncle and I can get it to work.

Last edited by Lexmex; 09-20-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-20-06, 06:38 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

HUGE! Give us a long term update I plan to do the same if my 02 sensors ever go out.

My 2000 RX300 has 75k miles on it, home many before your o2 went out?
Old 09-20-06, 09:36 PM
hksimpson
Driver School Candidate

That is a good tip and others seem to be divided on the use of ones that are not exactly the same as the ones that came with the car. For instance, they make universal ones that are designed to use your old connecter and those sell for under $50 and there are people using them without issue.

I was and am a cheap bastard, but was able to get an OEM part (came in the Toyota/Lexus box and everything) for about $130 on Ebay.

When the next one goes out I will probably try something different if I can't find one that cheap again.

BTW, my rear one went our at 48K. It is a 1999 so age may be part of the issue.
Old 09-21-06, 05:57 AM
alsalih
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Asad, that's really good information to have. Do you know what the Toyota part number is for that sensor you bought? If you look online you can actually get the front Sienna sensor which lists for $125 for only $86!! I just want to make sure that this is infact the same sensor.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...14&catalogid=2
Old 09-21-06, 08:05 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The part # for the one you NEED is 89467-48011. B1 S1 & B2 S2 are the same part #. Even though they may look the same and might even hook up the same doesnt meen they are the same sensor. O2 sensors are designed to work in defferent heat ranges depending on where they are located in the exhaust system. So just because it screws in and can be rigged to hook up doesnt meen it will work work right. Even if the CE light turns off it doesnt mean its working right, just within a certain range so the light doesnt turn on. Im not trying to sell you on anything. I need two O2s for my GS and I dont want to spend the money either. But Im not going to put a piece of crap in it. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out, as I am interested as well.
Old 09-21-06, 01:02 PM
alsalih
Rookie

KiPod, I tend to agree with your point. However what I find interesting is that the part number you provided cross over to the exact same part and same connector used on the Highlander V6. You can get this A/F ratio sensor through Toyota for only $140 without cutting and splicing!
Old 09-21-06, 01:16 PM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Bingo. Thats why I put up a part #. Go get a highlander O2 not a Sienna O2. Some parts cross over. If they do cross over, go get it for less over at Toyota. If they dont cross over they are different parts. And yes, even though they are the same part with the same part # Lexus does have higher cost than Toyota.
Old 09-21-06, 01:22 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KiPod
Bingo. Thats why I put up a part #. Go get a highlander O2 not a Sienna O2. Some parts cross over. If they do cross over, go get it for less over at Toyota. If they dont cross over they are different parts. And yes, even though they are the same part with the same part # Lexus does have higher cost than Toyota.
True, Highlander is closer. I saw one on the road yesterday (not sold here...but had diplomatic plates) and I remember that sometimes my father goes to the Toyota dealer and gets the pads there and they must be the ones for the Highlander...they work just fine.

Most anything else such as 1MZFE Camry or Sienna would work in a pinch like I mentioned before, but the O2 sensor is a perfect example of something that does crossover just fine.
Old 09-21-06, 01:37 PM
dhg2496
Driver School Candidate

I've also checked into this and my local toyota dealer acutally cross referenced the parts and the highlander uses the exact same part numbers. So for future reference you can ask them to look up the same part for the highlander (at least any drivetrain part). Around here the difference was only $20-$30 cheaper for the O2 sensor at Toyota, but still worth going there instead of lexus, but ebay will almost always be cheaper if you can wait.
Old 09-21-06, 01:46 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Exactly right, drivetrain should be the same.

I wish that Lexus services prices were the same as those of Toyota, say RX300 versus Highlander on the same service item.
Old 09-22-06, 07:22 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

When I have a shop in a bind or out of my delivery area I just give them a part # and have them call Toyota to see if it will cross over. Just call up Lexus and see if you can get a part #. If not PM me.
Old 09-22-06, 02:59 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I recently had trani work done the tech accidentally broke the front flex pipe and had to replace the sensor also.

The work order says "sensor, position" ( I presume it means throttle position sensor)

Regardless the Toyota part number is 89452-33030 and the cost was $92.00 CAD

Everything seams to be working fine.

Don't know if this is the sensor your refering to but the price sure seams different.

Maybe someone can confirm the exact part via a pic of the 89452-33030 part number
Old 09-22-06, 03:45 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Before I sold my '88 Supra I put in a new Bosch one from PepBoys that was made for that year/model. Worked just fine, direct replacement. About $50. Easy to replace - wrench off/on & one direct plug-in connector. No way I'm paying Lexus for O2 sensor, especially in an RX, which is not really a beast of performance.
Old 09-22-06, 04:30 PM
alsalih
Rookie

Fern, part number 89452-33030 is the throttle position sensor, completely different part.
engin_ear, there is a reason for the high price of the this sensor, unlike what your 88 Supra had. The RX actually has air/fuel ratio sensors up front (position 1/bank 1 and position 1/bank 2) which although it might look like an Oxygen sensor, if you look closely you'll realize that it's not. The aft sensors on the RX are standard oxygen sensors and are only $50/each. Therefore, if you have to replace the front air/fuel ratio sensors it does appear that buying one from Toyota for the Highlander will be a direct replacement and it will easier on your wallet, although still not cheap.

Quick Reply: Possible O2 Sensor cheaper fix. Oxygen Sensor.