RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

intro - shopping for a 300

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 07:11 AM
euclid42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intro - shopping for a 300

Hi, just an intro.

My wife and I are going to be getting rid of our 2000 VW Passat AWD to be replaced by a 300 soon. We have both enjoyed the info from your forum so far, and I'm looking forward to becoming regulars. I'm a mod over on ih8mud.com which is the LandCruiser forum so I know how helpful the community can be.

Since my LandCruiser has 250K miles on it, we are familiar with how well built the 300 is, we like the looks of it, and we also really want an AWD vehicle. The extra space is needed for our 1 year old.

We will be looking for a 99 - 01. We aren't that worried about miles.

Our color choices are:
woodland pearl
indigo ink pearl
black onyx
twilight blue pearl
millennium silver metalic
graphite gray pearl

We would prefer the gray interior.

We aren’t in a hurry at all, so we will be able to wait till we find the perfect car. Well kept maintenance with records to proove it is also a requirement.

I haven't run across a thread or site with a maintance schedule. Any links? Timing belt at 90k, right?

Any leads you would like to forward would be appreciated - euclid42@gmail.com
Old 09-10-06, 08:26 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Primarily, in the 99-01 3.0 liter Toyota/Lexus engines, if the oil was not changed regularly it had a tendency to sludge. Insure you have good maintenance records with your purchase. Removing the valve cover or oil pan is needed to inspect the internals for the jelly like substance.

Secondly, with an all wheel drive, the transmission fluid needs servicing every thirty thousand miles. This should also be documented with owner using the Toyota type IV transmission fluid. The ATF fluid color should be cherry red in color, without a tint of brown.

The chassis should be inspected for tears or cuts in the four axle drive shaft CV joint boots, two CVs per axle. The steering rack end boots also need inspection for damage or drying of the boot material.

Every thirty thousand miles, all the vehicle fluids should be exchanged. This includes in the AWD, the transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, transfer case gear oil, rear differential gear oil and coolant/antifreeze. These services also needed to be documented by receipts with date and mileage.

Timing belt and spark plugs are at 120K miles on the RX.

Last edited by Tammy; 09-10-06 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-10-06, 02:30 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by euclid42
I haven't run across a thread or site with a maintance schedule. Any links?
There used to be a nice maintenance schedule on the ClubLexus web site, but I sure can't find it now, since the web pages were remodeled. Anybody?
Old 09-11-06, 07:58 PM
Andrax
Driver School Candidate

The local dealer and independant shop here told me to expect to do the timing belt at 90k...

That will be a fun combined service.
Old 09-12-06, 08:48 AM
euclid42
Driver School Candidate

Good info so far. From other places I'm finding I should be cautious when it comes to a whineing transmission, and watch for the exaust leak that is typical.
Old 09-12-06, 02:50 PM
miltonlin
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi euclid42

I'd upload the manual here, but the pdf is just a little too large .

The owner's maintenance manual is ambiguous at times. I called Lexus once asking them for clarification and they told me that my dealer is the best place to get an accurate assessment of the vehicle and what it needs (so much help that was). Sure that makes sense.

The manual is misleading if you don't know the history/possible troublespots of the vehicle or similar vehicles:

1. 5K oil/filter service interval (dusty, towing, short trips <5mi) or 7.5K service interval. The 1mzfe engine can sludge under the right conditions, so that should rule out the 7.5K oil change interval. Unless you know what's going on in there (oil analysis), I wouldn't take it farther than 5K. If the owner used synthetic, that would be a plus.

2. I think the recommendation to inspect brake linings, pads, body bolts at 5/7.5K intervals is excessive and would feel fine at 30K.

3. The inspections for the fluids simply should be to changed to replace the fluids. The tranny is very hard working. If doing a drain/fill, I would do that every 15K. If doing flush, every 30k. Lexus dealerships near me don't have a flush machine, even though "flush transmission" appears under what they did on the bill. How's that for misleading

4. No mention of cleaning/servicing the throttle body. I would do that every 30K. If your IAC valve gets clogged up, you might be stuck somewhere and have to have it towed, and then looking at several hundreds in repair.

That manual says the timing belt for my 2000RX says should be changed at 90K. But timing belt can als be changed out earlier if it is old, even if you have not reached the mileage interval.

Good luck shopping for an RX.
I love the first generation RX's.