RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

YOYO folks... New RX 300 owner in da cluuubbb!!...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 01:02 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YOYO folks... New RX 300 owner in da cluuubbb!!...

Hi folks, I just bought a '02 RX300 for my wife & we are now a 2 lexi family team haha

I of course will not leave this car untouched as my wife admonished me to...but she will get used to & over it soon enough.....

I have some basic plans for this car:

Brakes - drilled / slotted rotors/pads/ ss lines & ATE blue fluid flush/ bleed, in the next week
wheels tires - Just installed 18x8.5 / 35et chrome ADR wheels/ Michelin tires 255/55/18
Intake - if i can find a good one or i will fabricate something, prolly try the mod TunedRX300 did.
Side markers .. clear fronts & rears w Piaa led bulbs going in soon. on the way now..
Headlights if possible, upgrading to 'hotter' HID bulbs.. 5k -6k..? plus chrome flasher bulbs etc... anything to kill the ugly amber bulb look
Ground kit / JDM market Voltage Stabilizer, just waiting for me to find time to install
Tint for windows
Coil springs/ eibach or ?? want a 1 inch or so drop max
Shox... upgrade to whatever i an find for the car that is better than stock .. only thing i have seen here in US is KYB Gr? kits..... somethuign slightly tighter than stock but not too agressive ... it is the wifes car after all.

Finally ( for now haha) I will repaint the entire lower cladding to match the top of the car we have the ubiquitous DWP over Silver color scheme & I see my self coming & going at leat 50 times a damn day..... Lexus must have made 50% more of these in this color than ANY other design ...

hope to post the mods as i do them & keep a thread of these going as i get to everything on the list...

any tips & idea would be great .. .i have found some great stuff here already & will be starting this upgrade path ASAP...

between my superchargd IS that never stops changing & this new RX300....we are just gonna have to split the mod funding & time invested 70/30 between them for a while.... should be fun!!

have a great weekend !!

Last edited by edgy; 07-21-05 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 01:20 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome, what kind of rotor you plan to install? I heard SS line rapture and don't want to risk it on my brake. Try the resonator and CAI intake, it is cost effective all you need is 2 hour of patience.
Old 07-21-05, 03:57 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Welcome, what kind of rotor you plan to install? I heard SS line rapture and don't want to risk it on my brake. Try the resonator and CAI intake, it is cost effective all you need is 2 hour of patience.

hehe u mean you heard ss lines RUpture...? really ? where ? that is VERY strange .. .

I have been using them on all my vehicles for the last 20 years...from Motorcycles to datsun 510 canyon racers to my old bmw 2002 racers & my old Alpina C1 etc & now on my IS300 & even on all my Mountain bikes with Hydralic Disc Brakes... hahahaha.... I have NEVER had a failure & i have never HEARD of any SS line failing ever.....? i suppose anything it s possible ... but that has to be a rare occurrance or a less than top quality product if it has happened often....

I would be MUCH more worried about an OEM rubber line swelling, fatigueing & bursting than i would about a hi quality braided Stainless steel line having ANY problems. I use Goodridge hoses almost exclusively...they are some of the best made anywhere.

IMHO SS lines are one of the BEST & least expensive mods you can do to ANY cars brakes.. the amount of "MUSH" or line expansion that brake systems generate thru Hydraulic pressure on the rubber brk lines is considerable, & you only realize how much they were expanding under pressure/use when you slap in a set of SS lines & see how much firmer & more direct & more control over braking you have. the difference can be quite remarkable.

I got a set of front & rear brembo/ bradi drilled slotted rotors for the RX, everything's ready to install but the pads & I am just awaiting those now so i can start the swap.....

i will most definitely dump the resonator & try your intake mod.... thanks for the thread on that, It will help.. Gotta Love "HDRS Motorsports".... Home Depot Racing Supply & Motorsports!!

any pointers or suggestions on exhausts... i think i want to upgrade that eventually as well....just haven't looked around for them yet to sweat it ..

heheheh.
Old 07-21-05, 04:38 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Home depot is great
I plan to change my brake fluid to ATE Super Blue when I have time. Here is a link for SS line rupture horror story. Did Goodridge wrap the braided line now-a-days to prevent cutting?

SS Brake Line

Last edited by TunedRX300; 07-21-05 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 04:59 PM
edgy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TunedRX300
Home depot is great
I plan to change my brake fluid to ATE Super Blue when I have time. Here is a link for SS line rupture horror story. Did Goodridge wrap the braided line now-a-days to prevent cutting?

SS Brake Line

aint finding time a *****!!!!!

the Goodridge lines i have are not wrapped etc. i dont think....like the article mentions .. .thanks for that link also it is interesting... . funny i have not heard many complaints on these elsewhere....while the NSX guys seem to have had some trouble there...they do make some valid points tho.

As a result of that article i will be slipping a length of clear Heat shrink tubing over my new lines for the RX before I install them... & when i look at the IS's lines... i will carefully examine them for wear anything i a munder my car alot & look everything over often...... etc if practical I will also pull them & heat shrink tube them & reinstal then of course rebleed

thanks for the heads up.. doesnt change my mind about their value to me.. .but i will take an extra precaution or two to help protect them even more now.....

edward
Old 07-21-05, 05:13 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

I think heat shrink is a safe insurance if you have already installed SS line. I found that link on an Acura TL forum, if you have time check into this debate on SS line.
SS Braided Line Chat
At the end of the day, go with whatever you are happy with I am too chicken since I have a little baby coming, got to play it safe.