RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Windshield wiper fluid motor install for Rx300 Instructions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 12:02 AM
ididit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarber45
Guys, first thanks for all the tutorials on this. I wanted to attempt this, so I took my car to the Auto Hobby shop at Keesler AFB this Sunday. Seemed simple enough from the pictorials and detailed instructions. Long story short, I was able to successfully replace the pump in about 30 minutes. Even followed one suggestion to attach supply tubes to air compressor to flush debris. Unfortunately, I still have no working washer. I check the fuse and it was ok. Finally asked someone to place their hand on the pump as I activated the steering column switch to see if the motor was running. They felt nothing. So it seems the motor is not the problem, but something in the power supply to the motor. A parts person at local store suggested it could be the switch in the steering column itself. Anyone else have any suggestions. I was so proud of myself after I got the part replaced. Figured I had saved the $100 labor charge my local mechanic shop was going to charge for this. Now, I'm back to "Go".
I am facing the same problem. I got a new motor and have done all the same things. still no water out.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-12-21, 06:20 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

How does $14.99 new, with two day delivery included sound?

Amazon Amazon

I've got one one the way. Let you know how it squirts : )

Regards . . .
Old 03-13-21, 10:44 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Hi,

The new pump arrived in two days as promised (via Prime). Below are a couple pics. Note in the pic looking into the larger reservoir side hole: There we can see the new pump has a semi-circular "dam" half way up the inside of the hole. I suspect that this is to prevent small particles/debris in the reservoir from entering the pump (ie. heavier pieces can't get over the dam), and keep that debris from entering the small output holes to the window squirt nozzles. Kudos to the smart thinking and useful enhancement by someone!

Here's the out-of-vehicle pics. I'll install later today and report back :

Note the "debris dam" on the new part on right:

That little hole on the old pump (on right) goes nowhere, just mold/assembly guide:

Electrical side looks almost the same. Note the old Denso has an oval shape, where the new pump is more rectangular:

You get a cool sticker and a new grommet for the tank (nice touch).

Same, same:

Box experience is good (this is new fresh packaging) and opened easily from the end and could be repackaged with no box damage:

Other info:
OEM Denso part is 149grams (no water in here either, new Mean Mug Auto is 105grams (dry as shipped).

To be continued . . .
Old 03-13-21, 11:50 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Have you checked the piping to make sure there is no break or clogged nozzles. Clogged nozzles are not uncommon after waxing and sparing use of the system.

Salim
Old 03-15-21, 02:32 PM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Have you checked the piping to make sure there is no break or clogged nozzles. Clogged nozzles are not uncommon after waxing and sparing use of the system.

Salim
Hi Salim,
Very good advice. That will help others I'm sure.
The day my pump went, it started to squirt as usual, then dribbled out, then just some bubbles (from fluid soap). I tried the rear and same deal, no squirt. So for me, I immediately thought pump/fuse/other. No noise from the pump either with ignition on and a pull on the washer handle, that usually squirts.
Old 03-15-21, 03:25 PM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Hi,
The new pump is in and woks fine so far. Here's a couple pict ure notes : )

If anyone needs a look at the OEM transmission cooler and p/n's, here a pic for the record. I read discussion on this recently, a link in this thread maybe, that a performance-oriented forum member was not happy with the washer tank in front of the cooler and was going to relocate the cooler elsewhere up front. You get a good idea why from this pic. But for normal average-driver use, I'd think this was a good, out of the way place to hang it. And there'd be nominal airflow disturbance over the cooler (because of the washer tank placed in front of it) because this is a high pressure area of the vehicle when it travels forward. Just my 2 cents on that . . .

<03/16/21 Update via Edit: This pic is out of sequence. It should come after the pump installed pic. The reason I had to deal with this hose up here is because the first time I tested the new pump, the was no water and no joy. Just noise from a spinning pump. From past experiences, I know that some pumps will cavitate if they're not primed. So . . .>
I disconnected this (downward) hose, blew air in, there was no restriction, and I heard bubbles in the tank. I could suck on it a bit and it held a vacuum <this primed the pump>, so no obvious big hole low pressure water leak. Good, so far.

Here's the new pump installed and snapped back into place (install hoses first as noted below) and into new grey silicone grommet. Note that the (front nozzels) outlet hose on the left appears to be a larger diameter hose than the right (rear nozzel) hose. So I checked the old pump and the left outlet stub was 6mm or 7mm with the barb. However, the right outlet stub was 5mm or 6mm with the barb. Interestingly, the new pump measures 5mm (or 6mm with the barb) on both outlet stubs! I bet this has something to do with the part numbers. But . . . there was enough extra hose on both sides for a trimming: I used a pair of diagonal pliers and cut both just behind the old barb bulge (no more than 1/2" or 13mm), and the outlet hoses shoved on firmly, which is good.

I used the new grey silicone tank grommet. After pushing the entire washer in place and the pump inlet stub fully pushed in, I gave it the "will it fall out" pull test, and it passed. It was in there good and tight.

Above I had a pic and comment about the oval shape of the electrical port on the pump. Here's a pic of the plug/connector. I figure it was either designed oval-like, or took on that shape from 20 years of attachment to the pump. That plug/connector attached and clicked into place on the new pump no problem.

That's all I know for now. If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions, please chime in : )

Regards . . .

Last edited by Brcobrem; 03-16-21 at 07:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
maxSteel (03-15-21)
Old 03-15-21, 08:45 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Can you please remember to give us updates over time .. 6 months, 1 yr 2 yr ..

Salim
Old 03-16-21, 07:30 AM
Brcobrem
Pit Crew

Hi Salim,

First let me mention the edit I just did on the pic that shows the vertical hose on the hood. I forgot to note the pump priming requirement (at least for my installation). Moving on . . .

I keep good records of repairs I do and posts I make on this site. How about this option: If I have any problems or hiccups with that pump or grommet, I'll post back here with the details. I probably only use the pump a couple times a week, but that means it does get used regularly. Btw, the windshield squirt front and back was good and powerful, not wimpy.

Hey, check out their website: https://www.meanmugauto.com/ . They're out of NY. They even have Toyoto nozzels! These guys appear to be for real : )

Regards . . .

Last edited by Brcobrem; 03-16-21 at 07:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
salimshah (03-16-21)