RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Afraid to purchase another Lexus product

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 07:28 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Afraid to purchase another Lexus product

After reading about all the problems with Lexus products, I don't think I will ever purchase another one. Besides the repairs are astronomically expensive and that is ridiculous. The only Lexus vehicles we have had and still have are a 1999 RX300 and a 2000 ES300. Through the years I have owned fifteen Ford cars, one Ford pickup, and one Mercury. The only problem I ever had was a check valve stuck in the auto transmission on a 1969 Ford Brougham at 20,000 miles and it was covered by factory warranty. I have owned a 1951 Chevrolet Pickup, no problems, one 1981 Malibu Chevrolet no problems, 1988 Olds Toronado no problems, one 1991 Buick Rivera, one 1992 Buick Rivera, one Buick Century, no problems on any of the Buicks; one 1990 Toyota Camry no problems; one 1996 Toyota Avalon, totaled in wreck at 6,000 miles, no problems otherwise; one 1997 Toyota Avalon traded at 74,000 miles for the 2003 ES300 Lexus.
I had to change out the rack and pinion steering unit on the 1997 Toyota Avalon at 71,000 miles because of excessive leaking. Toyota dealer wanted $972.00. Independent auto repair shop installed the identical unit for $585.00. He purchased it from the Toyota dealer. This was the only vehicle I have ever owned that ever had a power steering unit to leak power steering fluid. The 1999 RX300 has had to have the front struts replaced, covered by warranty. However, at 55,000 miles the air conditioner stopped cooling and had to have a new expansion valve, new drier, and new compressor. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had air conditioner problems and all the aforementioned vehicles were driven high mileage. Lexus dealer service manager quoted me $1,982.00 to repair the air conditioner as it was 5,000 miles over warranty. He then told me I could probably get it repaired at a cheaper price at a Toyota dealer, which I did and it cost $1,528.00 to replace the same parts.

My wife and I chose to pay a premium price to purchase the 1999 RX300 because Toyota/Lexus vehicles are supposed to be superior in quality than "other" vehicles such as listed previously were. Then when the air conditioner went out on the RX and had to 'fork over' $1,528.00 to have it repaired we have about decided to forget about even considering another Lexus vehicle for sure.

So far, we haven't had any problems with the 2003 ES300 except for the hesitating transmission. It has a little over 21,000 miles on it and I am going to call for an appointment for reprograming the ECM computer for smoothing the shifting. The closest Lexus dealer for service is a little over an hour's drive from us. The Lexus dealer that offer's better service is located a little over two hours drive from us. But that was also a consideration when before purchasing the Lexus vehicles.

Both of us have always enjoyed driving the RX and the good ride and also likewise the ES.

We are just kind of paranoid about 'laying out' that much money again for vehicles that don't seem to be quite as reliable as they are 'hyped' to be.

GCrim21
Old 08-24-04, 07:31 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default correction on Lexus ES

Above post should have read ....... 1999 RX300 and 2003 ES300

GCrim21
Old 08-24-04, 10:52 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In some ways I agree with you. While Toyota and Lexus generally are very reliable, the repair bill can be shocking should something goes wrong. Ford vehicles are PoS (first hand experience,) but repairs usually cost half of Toyota's. That said, I'd still go for a vehicle that's reliable - Toyota.

I've had Ford, Dodge, and GM products. After tons of problems, I finally gave up my flag waving and bought my first import (RX300.) For the first time of my life, it feels GOOD owning a vehicle. I no longer have to constantly go to the dealership service and imitate various mechanical noise if you know what I mean.
Old 08-24-04, 10:56 PM
Cobra V
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota\Lexus quality is superior, and has been for the past couple of years- i'm sure you saw JD Power and Associates reports. however, that does not make them perfect. while you may be having problems with your Lexus\Toyota, many will not; and those many probably will or have had problems with their other brand car.
Old 08-25-04, 06:16 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've owned the following vehicles;

1 Pontiac
1 Oldsmobile
6 Buicks
5 Chevs
1 Mercury
1 Chrysler
1 Honda
5 Toyotas
1 Lexus

In my experience with these vehicles the Toyotas and the Lexus were the best designed, best built, and afforded me the most enjoyable and trouble free owner experience. As a group, they held up longer and their resale value was significantly higher than the others. Any issues I did have with the Toyotas were corrected on the first visit in contrast to the GM , Ford, and Chrysler vehicles, which usually required multiple visits. True, a lot of this could be attributed to the dealerships but I would argue the manufacturer sets the customer service standard for the dealers.

Based on my experience I would not hesitate to recommend or buy a Toyota or Lexus vehicle.
Old 08-25-04, 11:14 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

well my dad was a traveling salesman for many years so our family has owned many cars.

1979 toyota corolla liftback 400k+ miles. radiator developed a hole, nothing else ever went wrong

1990 hyundai elantra 180k miles. radiator cracked, thermostat got stuck, nothing else ever went wrong

1994 hyundai sonata 220k miles. Nothing ever went wrong

1996 for taurus 140k miles. engine block cracked, nothing else ever went wrong

1988 oldsmobile cutlas cierra v6. 60k miles. thousands in repairs, finally diagnosed as undiagnosable overheating problem by the dealer and several other mechanics.

1992 lexus sc400 105k miles, power steering pump, A/C condenser, window regulator (this car gets tracked and raced)

1999 rx300 90k miles. tailight bulb

all major service completed as stated in manual. oil changed every 3k miles, radiator, tranny, air filter, fuel filter, brake bleed, injector cleaning service, power steering fluid services done every 30k miles.

failures in all the foreign vehicles were not fatal to the vehicle and were repairable and back on the road (some older cars we didn't want to bother with the repair).

The 2 american vehicles when failed were catastrophic in nature.

You can't compare some of the older cars with the newer cars, there are a ton of emissions requirements that got exponentially harder to meet and electronics galore.

Even though my SC400 is the car that I probably spent most amount of money on in repairs (aside from the cutlass) I would still buy another lexus. the fit and finish, drivability, and styling are second to none. My RX300 has 90k miles and it drives like it just got out of the showroom. All the other non lexus vehicles I've owned simply did not have the comfort in ride quality as the lexus does.

On the ford, olds, and hyundai we just accepted the poor handling, noisy interior, terrible equipment, uncomfortible seats, poor fuel mileage, having to get a tune up every 2 years to pass inspection........ just like we accept how windows just craps out for no reason and we just accept it...... just like how it crapped out when i typed this the first time and it didn't post and had to type it all over again.
Old 08-25-04, 07:45 PM
RAP
Driver

If you find that perfect car let us all know. It's not any better with another brand. I gave up on GM because the service was so bad I felt ahead of the game if I got my car back without something else broken on it. Go read the forums of the other brands, you'll see they all have their problems.
Old 08-25-04, 11:33 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM had service??? Geez, as a former GM owner, I had no idea.
Old 08-25-04, 11:37 PM
LexFather

Default Re: Afraid to purchase another Lexus product

Originally posted by gcrim21
After reading about all the problems with Lexus products, I don't think I will ever purchase another one. Besides the repairs are astronomically expensive and that is ridiculous. The only Lexus vehicles we have had and still have are a 1999 RX300 and a 2000 ES300. Through the years I have owned fifteen Ford cars, one Ford pickup, and one Mercury. The only problem I ever had was a check valve stuck in the auto transmission on a 1969 Ford Brougham at 20,000 miles and it was covered by factory warranty. I have owned a 1951 Chevrolet Pickup, no problems, one 1981 Malibu Chevrolet no problems, 1988 Olds Toronado no problems, one 1991 Buick Rivera, one 1992 Buick Rivera, one Buick Century, no problems on any of the Buicks; one 1990 Toyota Camry no problems; one 1996 Toyota Avalon, totaled in wreck at 6,000 miles, no problems otherwise; one 1997 Toyota Avalon traded at 74,000 miles for the 2003 ES300 Lexus.
I had to change out the rack and pinion steering unit on the 1997 Toyota Avalon at 71,000 miles because of excessive leaking. Toyota dealer wanted $972.00. Independent auto repair shop installed the identical unit for $585.00. He purchased it from the Toyota dealer. This was the only vehicle I have ever owned that ever had a power steering unit to leak power steering fluid. The 1999 RX300 has had to have the front struts replaced, covered by warranty. However, at 55,000 miles the air conditioner stopped cooling and had to have a new expansion valve, new drier, and new compressor. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that had air conditioner problems and all the aforementioned vehicles were driven high mileage. Lexus dealer service manager quoted me $1,982.00 to repair the air conditioner as it was 5,000 miles over warranty. He then told me I could probably get it repaired at a cheaper price at a Toyota dealer, which I did and it cost $1,528.00 to replace the same parts.

My wife and I chose to pay a premium price to purchase the 1999 RX300 because Toyota/Lexus vehicles are supposed to be superior in quality than "other" vehicles such as listed previously were. Then when the air conditioner went out on the RX and had to 'fork over' $1,528.00 to have it repaired we have about decided to forget about even considering another Lexus vehicle for sure.

So far, we haven't had any problems with the 2003 ES300 except for the hesitating transmission. It has a little over 21,000 miles on it and I am going to call for an appointment for reprograming the ECM computer for smoothing the shifting. The closest Lexus dealer for service is a little over an hour's drive from us. The Lexus dealer that offer's better service is located a little over two hours drive from us. But that was also a consideration when before purchasing the Lexus vehicles.

Both of us have always enjoyed driving the RX and the good ride and also likewise the ES.

We are just kind of paranoid about 'laying out' that much money again for vehicles that don't seem to be quite as reliable as they are 'hyped' to be.

GCrim21
Sorry to hear about your problems. Lexus is not perfect. WHen you see all the accolades Lexus has won for quality since it's inception, people can think the cars are perfect. Not so. They are just as close as possible. And there will be a worse off Lexus here and there. Just much less than the competition. Lexus truly does pride itself in quality so I would give them another chance.
Old 08-26-04, 08:52 AM
Skinny
Driver

From my experience, Lexus makes the best cars.

I have a 95 ES300 with 130K miles and outside of normal maintenance it has had really nothing go wrong. I remember under warranty one piece of side cladding was replaced and a steering wheel grommet was replaced and outside of warranty one O2 sensor was replaced at 115K, starter at 120K, head gaskets, power antenna, and CV joints replaced at 122K. Oh and one tailight assembly was replaced because of vandalism. I consider that a excellent car!!

Also have a 2000 LS400 with 55K miles, which has had a grand total of 1 warranty repair-noisy tilt/telescopic steering wheel mechanism.
Old 08-26-04, 09:25 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Repairs& Service

So far I have been delighted with the treatment we have received when we have taken our '04 RX330 in for warrenty work. Treat us like a good friend would and does all the things we needed done and then some.

I do change my own oil & filter as I just have to do something myself and I use sysnthetic oil so it isn't too often I have to do that.

Last edited by xfirechief; 08-26-04 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-26-04, 01:11 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My general impression is that Lexus quality is sliding. My 98 LS400 has far fewer problems than my girl friend's 02 LS430. Seems to me some of the other newer models also have more problems (GX470). The most trouble-free car i ever owned was a 93 Camry. However, there is no comparison between the Toyota service and Lexus service...I always dreaded going to a Toyota dealer for service.

I bought a brand new 86 Buick Centuty and it was THE WORST CAR i ever owned. I never went back to GM after that. Lexus quality is not as good as it used to be, but still better than most others IMHO. I will seriously consider buying the extended warranty if I get a Lexus again next time.

Last edited by BrickHead; 08-26-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-26-04, 03:33 PM
RAP
Driver

Originally posted by BrickHead
My general impression is that Lexus quality is sliding. My 98 LS400 has far fewer problems than my girl friend's 02 LS430. Seems to me some of the other newer models also have more problems (GX470). The most trouble-free car i ever owned was a 93 Camry. However, there is no comparison between the Toyota service and Lexus service...I always dreaded going to a Toyota dealer for service.

I bought a brand new 86 Buick Centuty and it was THE WORST CAR i ever owned. I never went back to GM after that. Lexus quality is not as good as it used to be, but still better than most others IMHO. I will seriously consider buying the extended warranty if I get a Lexus again next time.
It may be true the quality is not what it used to be but I don't think we can gage this on one or two cars.

GM service is the pits but to be fair, I don't think we can gage that on a 1986 Buick.

When you really stand back and look at what we put cars through, it's amazing that any of them last as long and cost so little.
Old 08-26-04, 06:26 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default extended warranties

We shouldn't have to purchase extended warranties for Lexus vehicles. Lexus already charges a premium price for their vehicles and we pay for what should automatically be an 'extended warranty'.
My beef when I posted this string was about having to 'shell out' over $1,500.00 to have the airconditioner repaired when I had NOT EVER had air conditioner problems with all the other brands of vehicles I had owned since 1953. We expected Lexus to have a superior air conditioner in them and not something like you might find in a YUGO. And the power steering problem we had with my wife's 1997 Toyota Avalon and having to replace the whold rack and pinion steering unit just because of a leak.
This kind of thing stinks!

I suppose we have just been fortunate and lucky enough not to have had problems with Ford & GM products like I have heard others complaining about.

I use Mobil 1 motor oil and Mobil M1-102 oil filters in both Lexus vehicles.

I have used Mobil 1 motor oil almost since it was put on the market.

GCrim21
Old 08-26-04, 06:38 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Default continued......

I forgot to tell about the number of times, so many I have lost count, taking the 1999 RX300 in to the dealer because of rattles. The 1997 Toyota Avalon was just as bad. Both these Toyota/Lexus brands were designed to win the GOLD medal for the number of rattles. Of all the Fords and GM vehicles we owned through the years, NONE of them came close to having rattles like the Avalon and the RX.

GCrim21

Quick Reply: Afraid to purchase another Lexus product