RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-21, 02:12 PM
Ab175
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

I know there is a thread about this over on the IS F forum, however, I am curious, are there any RC F owners running these tires? I have seen many good reviews for this tire and I am impressed by the value that this tire offers. I was quoted 890$ for all 4 tires installed with road hazard protection which is roughly 500-600$ cheaper than the Michelin MPSS or MP4S alternative. The reviews seem to be plentiful and have many good things to say about them. I am finding the value proposition kind of tempting. Let me know what y'all think. Also, I have attached a review from an IS F owner.

Old 04-29-21, 03:04 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Michelin is the gold standard. I have had bad experiences with other brands like Continental, Bridgestone, Kumho etc. while Michelin have always been consistent. Uneven wear, harshness, cupping, noise etc. to name a few. Michelin tires are so well balanced that my PS4S mounted wheels don't even have corner weights on them. I cannot say enough good things about the PS4S tires. They indeed cost more, but the experience with their tires is unparalleled.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-29-21 at 07:41 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
1wacko (04-30-21), Ab175 (04-29-21), kukudm (04-30-21), MCB1970 (04-30-21)
Old 04-30-21, 03:54 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I have driven the original MPSS, also the PS4S XL and I am running a pair of Continental Extreme Contacts XL now. I would say the PS4S was the best but the Extreme Contacts are almost identical in performance. Depending on how you drive and how much you drive the cheaper tires may make sense. The reason I went with the the Extreme Contacts is there was a shortage during covid on RCF rear tires from Michelin and my rears were bald. I had to get new tires and Continental had tires in stock. I may go with the Conti's next time. I like the way they feel.

The following users liked this post:
kukudm (04-30-21)
Old 04-30-21, 05:57 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I have driven the original MPSS, also the PS4S XL and I am running a pair of Continental Extreme Contacts XL now. I would say the PS4S was the best but the Extreme Contacts are almost identical in performance. Depending on how you drive and how much you drive the cheaper tires may make sense. The reason I went with the the Extreme Contacts is there was a shortage during covid on RCF rear tires from Michelin and my rears were bald. I had to get new tires and Continental had tires in stock. I may go with the Conti's next time. I like the way they feel.
How's the Conti's compare with original MPSS? Performance-wise and ride quality? Can you share a little more detail on how different they feel vs MPSS?
Old 05-01-21, 03:13 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by kukudm
How's the Conti's compare with original MPSS? Performance-wise and ride quality? Can you share a little more detail on how different they feel vs MPSS?
Here's two comparison reviews from tire rack which should help:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/t...y.jsp?ttid=148

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/t...y.jsp?ttid=223
Old 05-01-21, 07:20 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I was in the opposite boat as you were bro...I ditched the original MPSS and went with the Conti's. Came time for new tires, and the Conti's were OOS, so went with the PS4S XL's. LOL.....I agree that they are both equally great tires.
Old 05-01-21, 09:50 AM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Thanks for the links. The first link is actually the old model. Second link is a comparison between Conti and PS4S. Since I’ve only had the Oem MPSS, I’m more interested to know how it compares to the Continental’s
Old 05-01-21, 10:35 AM
Ab175
Pit Crew

Did some calling around this morning, I am not too interested in the Indy 500 tires anymore, they are only 170$ cheaper than Extreme Contact Sport, or Pirelli P zero. Now I am torn between Extreme Contact sport and Pirelli p zero. Both have shown themselves to be excellent max performance summer tires. Anyone have the Pirelli and want to comment on how they feel?
Old 05-01-21, 10:43 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ab175
Did some calling around this morning, I am not too interested in the Indy 500 tires anymore, they are only 170$ cheaper than Extreme Contact Sport, or Pirelli P zero. Now I am torn between Extreme Contact sport and Pirelli p zero. Both have shown themselves to be excellent max performance summer tires. Anyone have the Pirelli and want to comment on how they feel?
The second comparison posted above has both. Of the two, the ExtremeContact Sport seems to be the better tire with the PS4S being the overall winner in that TireRack comparison.

Tire Test Results : A Clash of the Titans in Max Performance Summer: The Sequel (tirerack.com)
cvt (05-03-21)
Old 05-01-21, 11:08 AM
Ab175
Pit Crew

Good point. I am leaning heavily towards the continental extreme contact sport. Quoted about 400$ cheaper than the Michelin. Pirellis are roughly the same cost as the continentals. I live in Houston and cannot resist driving the car year-round so it's gonna be about 10-15k miles a year, so tire wear and cost are important to me (to some degree).
Old 05-02-21, 01:50 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by kukudm

I got the XL ( Extra Load) Extreme Contacts they are better than the original NON-XL MPSS. The stiffer side walls make a difference. They car feels IMO more solid. Not like the original tires were bad but the car just feels more solid in corners. It also feels better in braking. I feel like the original MPSS hooked up a bit better when accelerating off the line.

I would say the Extreme Contact is as good as the PS4S in performance based on my driving. I think the PS4S is a little smoother feeling and a bit quieter. It just feels a little bit more refined in day to day driving. I would buy the Conti's again. It is a good tire and less expensive. I go through tires in less than 10K miles.
kukudm (05-02-21)
Old 05-03-21, 09:39 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The second comparison posted above has both. Of the two, the ExtremeContact Sport seems to be the better tire with the PS4S being the overall winner in that TireRack comparison.

Tire Test Results : A Clash of the Titans in Max Performance Summer: The Sequel (tirerack.com)
My wife has the Extreme Contact Sport on her ILX. Very similar in feel to PSS...but the PS4S are really something. Lasted me more than 20k miles on my ISF. That’s phenomenal on a staggered set up with this much grip.

having said that I wouldn’t sleep on the Extreme Contact Sports. Way better than the DW variant that it replaces and feels as good at PSS.
Old 05-03-21, 10:05 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cvt
My wife has the Extreme Contact Sport on her ILX. Very similar in feel to PSS...but the PS4S are really something. Lasted me more than 20k miles on my ISF. That’s phenomenal on a staggered set up with this much grip.

having said that I wouldn’t sleep on the Extreme Contact Sports. Way better than the DW variant that it replaces and feels as good at PSS.
I can believe that. The PS4S are wearing much better than the PSS mostly because of more even distribution of load (my guess). The dealership checked my tires out just on Friday and despite the tires being just 1 year old, I had quite a few session of spirited driving including the tail stepping out a few times with spinning wheel as well as spinning off the line especially with the SprintBooster that makes so much torque available instantaneously and the dealership said, I am still at 9/32, which is still 90%+ tread. Also, they said the tires are wearing evenly so far (while the previous PSS wore unevenly. Lots of higher inner tire wear).
Old 05-14-21, 10:28 AM
Way2low01
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I just put a set of the Indy 500 tires on my RCF (oem sizes) and I honestly have no complaints. I'm very happy with the purchase. Not saying there aren't better options, but for my spirited backroad driving they have been excellent. Just my two cents.
Old 05-14-21, 02:57 PM
Ab175
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Way2low01
I just put a set of the Indy 500 tires on my RCF (oem sizes) and I honestly have no complaints. I'm very happy with the purchase. Not saying there aren't better options, but for my spirited backroad driving they have been excellent. Just my two cents.
thanks for the reply, how do they compare to the stock Pilot Super Sports? Also, did you have them installed at firestone?

Last edited by Ab175; 05-14-21 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500