RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

2020 RCF Black Moldings

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-19, 08:57 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFGrandpa
I talked with my advisor and he said that the window does not have to be drilled. It’s held in by clips and adhesive. He did say that there’s a slight chance of the old windows cracking when being removed but did not happen in my case. It was actually a fast and easy installation. I didn’t need new weatherstrips but decided to replace them since they had to be removed for the molding swap. My Lexus dealer sublet the job to a glass shop they do business with. My labor invoice was $434.00 plus tax and included a sublet markup of 40%. So you could go directly to your local glass shop and get an even better deal than I got. I just prefer to drop it off at Lexus, they give me a loaner, and pick it up when it’s done. You can use the photos of the quarter window I have posted on this project for reference. It’s been two weeks since and I have no regrets. Lexus should have had these black moldings as standard equipment from day one.
The FSM says the weatherstrips are not reusable, so if they're going by the book, they must replace them. There is a double sided adhesive on them that is intended for single use only, that's why they say non-reusable in the manual. The quarter window is only positioned by the clips. It is held in place by adhesive, and there are pretty detailed instructions for getting the adhesive done right.
Old 06-21-19, 11:13 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I went the dark smoke wrap route myself, even did the grille surround as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2Squared:
BossMoss (06-21-19), RCFGrandpa (07-07-19)
Old 06-21-19, 11:51 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by GR4NR1C3RF
'20 left side mirror (87940-24650-XX). They're ~$500 each. They look SICK!
They closely resemble the LC mirrors.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
RCFGrandpa (07-07-19)
Old 06-21-19, 11:59 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I had my calipers installed in January of 2016 and no paint or decals have deteriorated with all the wash’s otherwise they would look crappy now instead of still looking new.
Had the calipers on my ISF painted in October 2016 - They still look new. The Brembo decals were affixed under the clear coat

Lou
Old 06-22-19, 02:13 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RYLITT
So you're paying $655 for black replacement moldings to get rid of the chrome? I wrapped mine, cost maybe $75.
Wrap is never good as a properly prepped and painted OEM piece. I wrapped mine, but over time, you see the flaws and from the very start the finish isn't nearly as clean.

You get what you pay for.
BossMoss (06-22-19)
Old 06-22-19, 10:03 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Received 336 Likes on 155 Posts
Default After 2 Months

It’s been two months since I had the 2020 RCF Black moldings installed and I’m pleased to tell everyone who is thinking of doing this that I have absolutely no regrets for doing this swap. Very happy with it. Getting rid of the chrome was one of the best upgrades I’ve had done.
The following 5 users liked this post by RCFGrandpa:
Apone (06-23-19), BossMoss (06-23-19), CAHWY128 (06-23-19), JT2MA71 (11-10-19), Mingofish (06-23-19)
Old 07-07-19, 01:52 PM
Tempest
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I finished the install on this and was out about the same as you were with parts, but labor was $90/window from a guy I know. Altogether I was out about $700 and I agree, this was so worth it to have the 2020 trim pieces. It matches the grille and gives my car a sleeker look.
BossMoss (07-09-19)
Old 07-07-19, 08:07 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default Happy For You

Originally Posted by Tempest
I finished the install on this and was out about the same as you were with parts, but labor was $90/window from a guy I know. Altogether I was out about $700 and I agree, this was so worth it to have the 2020 trim pieces. It matches the grille and gives my car a sleeker look.
Like I said earlier, around April 30th when mine was done, that it’s a great addition to your RCF and as much the car costs it’s not that expensive. I hope that more RCF owners do the swap, they will be happy in the end. Congratulations on the upgrade, post your photo soon
Old 07-07-19, 08:15 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default Roof Rail Weatherstrips

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The FSM says the weatherstrips are not reusable, so if they're going by the book, they must replace them. There is a double sided adhesive on them that is intended for single use only, that's why they say non-reusable in the manual. The quarter window is only positioned by the clips. It is held in place by adhesive, and there are pretty detailed instructions for getting the adhesive done right.
I saw that when I received my old weatherstrips in the bag the new ones were in. I didn’t know that they had to be replaced I just had new ones installed since they had to be removed. I’m glad that I did order them. The finished job looks factory fresh.
Old 07-07-19, 08:26 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

It’s been two months since I had the 2020 RCF Black moldings installed and I’m pleased to tell everyone who is thinking of doing this that I have absolutely no regrets for doing this swap. Very happy with it. Getting rid of the chrome was one of the best upgrades I’ve had done.
I ordered the fender flares. Did you install them yourself or get a body shop to do it?
Old 07-12-19, 08:53 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default Wheel Flair Installation

Originally Posted by BlueRCF10
I ordered the fender flares. Did you install them yourself or get a body shop to do it?
I had the dealership install the wheel opening flairs. Held in by a clip and double stick adhesive. I’m sure that anyone can install them. I have medical issues with my shoulders and arms so now that I’m in my mid sixties, I just had the dealership install them. Nice upgrade.

Last edited by RCFGrandpa; 07-12-19 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add words
BossMoss (08-04-19)
Old 08-06-19, 01:06 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

I’ve have a new situation. In order to install the new black roof rail moldings, the roof rail weatherstrip must also be removed. Although my 2015 has only 8,500 miles on it and has always been garaged, the weatherstrip is showing a little wear. Do I replace it now since the old one has to be resealed and re-installed since I am paying for the labor or just keep the old weatherstrip? They will set me back another $150.00 per side. I’ll have a good $1,000 plus in this project by the time I’m done.
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the roof rail weatherstrips?
Thanks
Old 08-06-19, 01:32 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default I’m So Sorry

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the roof rail weatherstrips?
Thanks
So sorry. I thought I answered you. I just took photos of the two weatherstrip labels. I’m so happy with this upgrade on my RCF. If you need anything else that I can maybe answer, feel free to reply to this thread.

RCF roof rail weatherstrip

RCF roof rail weatherstrip
Old 08-06-19, 04:13 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

So sorry. I thought I answered you. I just took photos of the two weatherstrip labels. I’m so happy with this upgrade on my RCF. If you need anything else that I can maybe answer, feel free to reply to this thread.
Thanks! The other part numbers had been posted previously. I got a parts quote for the window trim pieces at a local dealer and they are 1.5x the price you paid in Seattle. So, I think if I do this I will order from a dealer that is reasonable and have a glass shop do the install.
Old 08-07-19, 10:43 PM
RCFGrandpa
Intermediate

Default Boss Moss

Originally Posted by BossMoss
Thanks! The other part numbers had been posted previously. I got a parts quote for the window trim pieces at a local dealer and they are 1.5x the price you paid in Seattle. So, I think if I do this I will order from a dealer that is reasonable and have a glass shop do the install.
I remember Boss Moss from the cereal “Freakies”, he was my favorite! I’m sure that you will save a few dollars going through the local glass shop for the install as Lexus of Seattle did with my RCF. They just sublet it out to their glass shop they use all the time. I have been neglecting it the last couple of months(not driving it hardly at all) because I purchased a new LC 500 May 29th! I’ve got 325 miles on the odometer of the new LC which would have been RCF miles but I’ve had my RCF going on five years(9,088 miles on the odometer) so I thought I would get acquainted with the new car this summer. I don’t drive either car in the rain or any other kind of bad weather. Be sure to post photos of your RCF with it’s new window treatment. I guarantee that you will be greatly pleased with absolutely no remorse.

My Molten Pearl RCF next to my new Infrared LC 500

Quick Reply: 2020 RCF Black Moldings