RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RC F Track Edition and RC F Performance Package video at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 04:10 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Lexus RC F Track Edition and RC F Performance Package video at Laguna Seca

Scott Pruett driving the 2020 RC F Track Edition and RC F with Performance Package:

The following 3 users liked this post by gs400998:
05RollaXRS (03-27-19), JT2MA71 (03-30-19), LXSDO (03-28-19)
Old 03-27-19, 05:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Great to hear the MPS4S tires address my concern for the soft sidewalls. Also, interesting is that the traction edition has a standard LSD and not the TVD.
Old 03-27-19, 10:56 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 316 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Great to hear the MPS4S tires address my concern for the soft sidewalls. Also, interesting is that the traction edition has a standard LSD and not the TVD.
TVD would have taken the soul out of the Track edition. It's a much more visceral experience when you can take the car close to its limit and balance it literally on its toes just through your own throttle input.

With TVD the electronics decide how and when to vector the torque which robs an experienced driver the enjoyment of threading his own needle so to speak.

A mechanical Torsen diff makes for a much more engaging driver experience.
Old 03-28-19, 12:13 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
...A mechanical Torsen diff makes for a much more engaging driver experience.
Right up until the inside rear wheel lifts and it behaves like an open diff as all Torsens do...

I'm done with Torsens. I know why OEMs love them - they are difficult to wear out under warranty - but the OS Giken TCD beats the TVD and the Torsen IME. I've driven them all extensively.

I liked the video for the most part, but if I were to ever consider an RC F, it would start as a track edition, then go on a very strict diet. The car would be pretty amazing at 3500 pounds.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
GunnyFitz (03-28-19), JT2MA71 (03-29-19), redspencer (03-29-19)
Old 03-28-19, 05:15 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Your Signature/Screenname Info

OFF TOPIC HIJACK - Sorry.....

Hey Lobux - Could you please explain exactly what that Flashing Icon is under your ScreenName? Does it say "20.000.000 CL Folding Team, Senior Moderator" there? I assume those numbers mean "Posts" but does a "CL Folding Team" mean? How many of them are there here? Are you a "Plank Owner" of sorts here by chance? Always wondered exactly WHO started this whole Forum, and how Moderators are selected (Not that I'd wish to be one) ...Also, I wasn't sure what the Vehicles in your Signature Line were until I Googled them. Do they mean: GSF, Scion, and Supra? You still own all of these by the way? What I liked best is this.....

This statement below caught my eye, and is something I identify with more than you'll ever know Lobux!

"If you haven't put your knee on the track at 120 mph, don't talk to me about your skillz or experience "- This act is more addictive than any Opioid medication you can imagine! I can literally remember the very first time I touched my knee puck down while going thru the Penguin Road Racing School at the track in Loudon, NH in 1995. It was a terrifying moment, yet something I craved each and every time I hit the track in the decades that followed. From then on, I realized its true use - Has anyone watched Mark Marquez in MotoGP and the way he uses his knee to keep himself upright, and enables the smallest possible tire contact patch? Well, I've yet to drag my "Elbows" on the track as he does, but have literally slid the side of my thigh during super sharp turns! That whole statement of yours is 110% spot on buddy! Worn out Knee Pucks are a badge of honor in the motorcycle racing world. I still have one sitting on top of my Rollaway which was tossed to me from the late Nicky Hayden after he ripped it off to change out. Priceless my friends, priceless!

**Ducati 748R, Turn 1 at VIR circa 2003ish

The following users liked this post:
neff2641 (03-24-22)
Old 03-28-19, 06:26 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

TVD would have taken the soul out of the Track edition. It's a much more visceral experience when you can take the car close to its limit and balance it literally on its toes just through your own throttle input.

With TVD the electronics decide how and when to vector the torque which robs an experienced driver the enjoyment of threading his own needle so to speak.

A mechanical Torsen diff makes for a much more engaging driver experience.
I have driven my RCF pretty hard with TVD in 'track' mode you can easily power oversteer the car using the throttle and balance the oversteer using throttle inputs. The extra torque through the motors while stabbing the throttle while entering corner easily kicks out the tail. It behaves differently based on how the driver drives the car.
Old 03-28-19, 09:26 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'm done with Torsens. I know why OEMs love them - they are difficult to wear out under warranty - but the OS Giken TCD beats the TVD and the Torsen IME. I've driven them all extensively.
I agree OS Giken is the ultimate. OEM's won't use it because of the chatter and maintenance. A bit too hard core for most.

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I have driven my RCF pretty hard with TVD in 'track' mode you can easily power oversteer the car using the throttle and balance the oversteer using throttle inputs. The extra torque through the motors while stabbing the throttle while entering corner easily kicks out the tail. It behaves differently based on how the driver drives the car.
I don't doubt you but the experience is very different between a TVD and an LSD. An LSD you really need to finesse it and demands more from the driver, it's more raw.

Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by konichiwa3; 03-28-19 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-28-19, 09:41 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I don't doubt you but the experience is very different between a TVD and an LSD. An LSD you really need to finesse it and demands more from the driver, it's more raw.

Different strokes for different folks.
I think they simply have been able to dial out the understeer, which is what the TVD was supposed to neutralize. They put aggressive/stiffer sidewall MPS4S tires and tweaked the geometry of the front suspension. With no understeer, it probably is not worth the extra weight. However, in 'slalom' mode at slow speed maneuvering, I really like how the off-center steering response is amazingly fast.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-28-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-28-19, 12:46 PM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would like to get that front lip on my RC F......
Old 03-28-19, 11:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
OFF TOPIC HIJACK - Sorry.....

Hey Lobux - Could you please explain exactly what that Flashing Icon is under your ScreenName? Does it say "20.000.000 CL Folding Team, Senior Moderator"
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pho...signature.html

Lou
Old 03-30-19, 04:44 AM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,596 Likes on 699 Posts

I sure hope they designed those CC rotors to work with the same calipers previous models have
Old 03-30-19, 04:29 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Funny you say that Ron. I already went to my dealer to see if they can give me cost on the cc rotors but the parts guy can’t even find in computer. Too new still. He said he could look up if I had a vin from an actual track edition.
Anyone know how to come up with that vin?

Also, I talked with Mike Figaro a while back and he said he would call Racing brake and see if they can come up with an oem fitment rotor. No word yet. I just pinged him today to see.
Old 03-30-19, 05:21 PM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,596 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Funny you say that Ron. I already went to my dealer to see if they can give me cost on the cc rotors but the parts guy can’t even find in computer. Too new still. He said he could look up if I had a vin from an actual track edition.

Also, I talked with Mike Figaro a while back and he said he would call Racing brake and see if they can come up with an oem fitment rotor. No word yet. I just pinged him today to see.
Yup! Still too new to get information. Would be nice to be able to just upgrade the pads and rotors! Pretty sure they will be $$$ though! RB option would be nice!!
Old 03-30-19, 06:32 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mingofish

Racing Brake has had the CC rotors for RCF quite a while now. It's a $14,400 upgrade for both fronts and rear. However, that is with calipers too. I know they have fronts that will work with OEM but haven't seen rears that work with OEM.

https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-Calip...rccb-lx-01.htm

https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCB-R...S-F-p/2c27.htm

Last edited by konichiwa3; 03-30-19 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-30-19, 09:24 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

The TE looks great. Well done, Toyota.

Quick Reply: Lexus RC F Track Edition and RC F Performance Package video at Laguna Seca