RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

So it begins: My exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 06:22 AM
RCFCoop
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Outside of the box it fits in the car, combo of backseat and trunk...it it weren’t for the protective cardboard over the tips, I think the whole thing could fit it the trunk. Got some leads out for appointments this morning..wish me luck
Old 04-05-19, 07:06 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I also get a strong plastic burning smell. I researched it online and lots of threads on it. Apparently, it is the smell of gun gum which is applied between the connections to prevent the exhaust from leaking out.
Old 04-05-19, 07:28 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Thanks. I will check. I saw the spring bolts on OEM exhaust were on the rears as I took them off myself as they extended out quite far as I was trying to fit mufflers/rear pipes in the RCF trunk. I have a stock video of the underbody as well. Once I took them off, they both fit in the trunk. Probably, that is why. I will check with them and see what they say.
Hmm, now you have me curious. Maybe the flanges are different between ARK and Invidia? The ARK has a donut gasket at the header and the rest are std 2 hole flat gaskets connections.
Old 04-05-19, 07:35 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Hmm, now you have me curious. Maybe the flanges are different between ARK and Invidia? The ARK has a donut gasket at the header and the rest are std 2 hole flat gaskets connections.
Not sure. Just was pointing out that it seems to match how our stock setup is. Our stock setup has the spring bolts on the rear where the mufflers connect to the mid-pipe and the solid bolts at the front. I have it on stock underbody video I took to do the before/after. I also had to take those spring bolts out from the rear section just to fit them in the trunk. I will talk to the exhaust shop and come back on this.
Old 04-05-19, 08:15 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't have any experience with RCF exhaust. However, I know typically flex pipe is after the manifold/header/primary cat, where it connects to the secondary cat or midpipe. This is due to the slight engine movement back and forth with revs. The headers will move with the engine, so the flex pipe will allow for the movement of headers but will soak up any further movement to allow the rest of the exhaust system to remain stationary. I would imagine the spring bolts work in the same way, leading me to believe they should be used after the headers, where they bolt up to the aftermarket system.
Old 04-05-19, 08:29 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK9887
I don't have any experience with RCF exhaust. However, I know typically flex pipe is after the manifold/header/primary cat, where it connects to the secondary cat or midpipe. This is due to the slight engine movement back and forth with revs. The headers will move with the engine, so the flex pipe will allow for the movement of headers but will soak up any further movement to allow the rest of the exhaust system to remain stationary. I would imagine the spring bolts work in the same way, leading me to believe they should be used after the headers, where they bolt up to the aftermarket system.
Talked to the exhaust shop. Our stock setup has hard bolts between the headers and mid-pipe. There is a flat flange there. That is consistent with what I am seeing from OEM stock videos of the underbody I took before the installation. The spring bolts on the stock are on the rear section. The Invidia setup is essentially a copy of how our stock setup is.
Old 04-05-19, 08:40 AM
Ken34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man that sounds really good. and i know what you mean by video not doing it justice, ive uploaded videos of my exhaust on FB and the sound just doesnt fully translate. i can only imagine how awesome it sounds in person. tempting me to switch cause while i love the muscle car sound of my exhaust, it has drone between 2500-3k rpm.
Old 04-05-19, 08:48 AM
CK9887
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Talked to the exhaust shop. Our stock setup has hard bolts between the headers and mid-pipe. There is a flat flange there. That is consistent with what I am seeing from OEM stock videos of the underbody I took before the installation. The spring bolts on the stock are on the rear section. The Invidia setup is essentially a copy of how our stock setup is.
Interesting. Good to know.
Old 04-05-19, 02:31 PM
OURISF
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I shot these in 4K HDR, but youtube downgraded them to 1080p HD. The sound simply did not come through the way it was in real life. It is most likely because the mic is on the opposite side. Everyone's jaw dropped when it was revved. I could feel the vibrations in the ground standing behind it.
Dude...GREAT choice...that exhaust looks and sounds amazing...I can only imagine what it sounds like in person.

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-05-19, 03:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OURISF
Dude...GREAT choice...that exhaust looks and sounds amazing...I can only imagine what it sounds like in person.

Thanks for sharing
Yeah man. Way better than the video shows. Videos don't do justice. Maybe, eventually I will end up doing resonator delete, but I am enjoying it as it is right now.
Old 04-05-19, 03:30 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Yeah man. Way better than the video shows. Videos don't do justice. Maybe, eventually I will end up doing resonator delete, but I am enjoying it as it is right now.
Any idea on weight difference between the stock and Invidia system?
Old 04-05-19, 03:59 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK9887
Any idea on weight difference between the stock and Invidia system?
I think it is lighter than stock. We have two cats (secondary) on stock exhaust that are not on the Invidia. Secondary cat removal probably shaves off about 6 - 8 lbs. The mufflers are definitely lighter. Not sure if the titanium reduces weight or not. The stock mufflers are quite heavy as I picked them and put them in the trunk. The Invidia mufflers did not seem as heavy.
Old 04-07-19, 07:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I found the perfect solution to clean carbon off the titanium burnt blue tips without causing any damage to the blue color. It is WD-40 with some paper towel. All of the carbon comes off easily and it brings back the high gloss blue color back. Thought other people might be interested in knowing how to clean it.

Regarding impressions, the more I drive it, the more I appreciate the noise. It is not super loud, but it is more than enough to be always audible through the rev range. It has all of the qualities I was looking for. Snarly and smooth sound. The increased power/torque has exacerbated the issue that my tires have less than 40% tread left.

I love how it snarls every time throttle inputs are changed part throttle. Hard to put it into perspective, but the best I can say is like a flute like acoustic quality to it. A pipe with echoing noise of air going through it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-07-19 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (10-09-19)
Old 04-08-19, 12:26 AM
rmsimmonsj
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you like it. I’ve had the same system on mine for about 2 years. But I have the ppe equal length headers on mine. Sounds a bit different. Enjoy.
Old 04-08-19, 07:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rmsimmonsj
Glad you like it. I’ve had the same system on mine for about 2 years. But I have the ppe equal length headers on mine. Sounds a bit different. Enjoy.
Thanks. Yeah, very happy with it. Looks amazing too.

Quick Reply: So it begins: My exhaust thread