Power Stop Brake Pad Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 10:38 AM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Power Stop Brake Pad Review

Whats going on F Gang.

Just wanted to drop in with some feedback concerning those who question replacement Brake pads...
My brakes were squeeling pretty good due to brake pad sensor at 28k Miles. I sure as hell dont track my car. But i do drive it how a sports car should be driven. everyday. So I was in the market for brake pads, coming from a g37 im use to about $100-200 for pads... for $500 for some race car pads no offense to those who have them. I found these pads for like $80 ceramic, low dust.

Powerstop: Front 161440 (16-1440) and Rear: 161807 (16-1807).

I just installed the fronts as the rears dont need to be chaged yet. Install is straight forward pretty easy about 20min/side.

Driving: Barely any low mph squeeling or as you get with the oem pads.. as far as braking power and feel there is no noticeable difference for spirited driving and a couple of hard slow downs in Mexcio from 140mph-75mph. For those of you worried about swapping to aftermarket from the oem option or the high dollar Project Mu etc.. They are ceramic and I would say these are alot better than oem especially as far as dust and noise goes.
You're welcome to check these out. I would give it a Yes for a recommendation. I'll probably follow up back around once these pads are done to give some additional feedback as far as pad life etc.

F on peeps!
The following 4 users liked this post by Ratedg:
05RollaXRS (03-10-19), GunnyFitz (03-11-19), lobuxracer (03-11-19), picklebush (05-15-19)
Old 03-10-19, 01:12 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for this. I think in due for pads soon.

What's the best way to force the Pistons back? Bleeder screw?
Is it easy to reconnect the sensor?
Old 03-10-19, 01:14 PM
Sit
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratedg
Whats going on F Gang.

Just wanted to drop in with some feedback concerning those who question replacement Brake pads...
My brakes were squeeling pretty good due to brake pad sensor at 28k Miles. I sure as hell dont track my car. But i do drive it how a sports car should be driven. everyday. So I was in the market for brake pads, coming from a g37 im use to about $100-200 for pads... for $500 for some race car pads no offense to those who have them. I found these pads for like $80 ceramic, low dust.

Powerstop: Front 161440 (16-1440) and Rear: 161807 (16-1807).

I just installed the fronts as the rears dont need to be chaged yet. Install is straight forward pretty easy about 20min/side.

Driving: Barely any low mph squeeling or as you get with the oem pads.. as far as braking power and feel there is no noticeable difference for spirited driving and a couple of hard slow downs in Mexcio from 140mph-75mph. For those of you worried about swapping to aftermarket from the oem option or the high dollar Project Mu etc.. They are ceramic and I would say these are alot better than oem especially as far as dust and noise goes.
You're welcome to check these out. I would give it a Yes for a recommendation. I'll probably follow up back around once these pads are done to give some additional feedback as far as pad life etc.

F on peeps!
Good information. Did the rotors require turning?

Old 03-10-19, 01:48 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Thanks for this. I think in due for pads soon.

What's the best way to force the Pistons back? Bleeder screw?
Is it easy to reconnect the sensor?
I grapped a big plier, and towel and left the original pad in there and just clamped the pad and caliper together through the towel not to damage the paint.(my calipers are painted yellow) Once i have enough lee-way i just squeezed them in with the pad with my hands.

Originally Posted by Sit
Good information. Did the rotors require turning?
no.. rotors should be good to go for quite a while longer.. idk why everyone swaps out rotors on these cars so soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ratedg:
GunnyFitz (03-11-19), lobuxracer (03-11-19), Sit (03-10-19)
Old 03-10-19, 01:49 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

oh also i ordered the brake pad sensors from rockauto is where i found to be the cheapest and fastest. i would recommend buying 1 or 2 extra to have laying around as you have to press them into the brake pad center. They are plastic so i accidentally broke one as well
Old 03-10-19, 03:55 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,744 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the review. Very informative. I am still at only 10,000 miles so it will be a while before I swap my OEM pads. This is definitely something I will keep as an option.
Old 03-10-19, 06:36 PM
Frisco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the same brake pads. The lower dust is nice and I don't track it. I reused the sensors(all but one I broke). The old sensors came out pretty easy, but putting them in the new pads was harder. It seems as though the slot where the sensor goes is slightly smaller. I only have 19000 on mine, so the rotors were still good
Old 03-11-19, 05:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,855 Likes on 2,338 Posts

I got two sets of front pads to one rotor on the GS F, and one set of rears to one set of rotors in the rear. Odd for Lexus, but at 47k miles, all four rotors had only a fraction of a millimeter of slot left, and one of the rear sensors burned through. The other had burned through the plastic and even some of the insulation on the sensor, but didn't break the wire yet, so I reused it. FWIW, Rock Auto has some very inexpensive wear sensors for our cars. I bought the Centric brand even though they were the most expensive on Rock Auto. If you're OK with spending less, they get ridiculously cheap there. I still paid less for both rear sensors shipped to my door than I would have paid for just one from the lowest price Lexus dealer online. All they are is a wire with a sheath, a connector, two mounting grommets, and a bleeder cap. Pretty hard to get that wrong.
Old 05-13-19, 11:38 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi, anymore updates on this? I’m looking into their z23 line, per Power Stop, this should be a higher performance model than what the OP has. I care less about dust, but more on the braking performance (vs OEM pads), and price (vs OEM which is pretty hard to swallow)

@lobuxracer I’m wondering what is your experience with the Power stop pads on your GSF?
Old 05-14-19, 06:58 AM
JDX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, thank you to the OP for suggesting these pads.

I ordered the same as OP from Rock Auto for my RCF and got front and rear pad sets, as well as two sets of the Raybestos Brake Pad Wear Sensors, since my local dealer wanted $1600 for the rear pad (and presumably rotor) replacement. Everything was shipped to my door, via 2-day express shipping for $110.76 all-in, which included $35.00 just for the shipping! I had my local indy shop do the install a little over a month ago for $200. The mechanic told me I could get away with another round of pads before swapping out my rear rotors, so I just had all 4 pads installed, even though the fronts didn't need replacing. I kept the original fronts since they still have a lot of life left on them.

As far as noise, I've only heard a light squeal a couple times, when backing out of my driveway.

As far as driving, there has been no noticeable difference in terms of pedal feel or stopping power. Keep in mind, I don't track my car nor do I plan to and wouldn't recommend these to anyone that does. For spirited daily driving, these pads have had no issues whatsoever and the brake dust is significantly reduced when compared to the OEM pads. I took a road trip from the Tampa Bay area to DC last month and could not be happier with the reduced dust. Over 2k miles during the trip and my wheels had less dust on them than after 3 days of my daily light commute with the OEM pads.

Highly recommended for daily driving and to save a significant amount of $$!
The following users liked this post:
Ratedg (05-17-19)
Old 05-14-19, 01:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,855 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by kukudm
Hi, anymore updates on this? I’m looking into their z23 line, per Power Stop, this should be a higher performance model than what the OP has. I care less about dust, but more on the braking performance (vs OEM pads), and price (vs OEM which is pretty hard to swallow)

@lobuxracer I’m wondering what is your experience with the Power stop pads on your GSF?
They are still in the box. I got an opportunity to replace everything with an OEM setup taken off another GS F after only 3k miles. So the Powerstop is still in the box for now.
Old 05-15-19, 05:20 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Food For Thought

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Cool. Thanks for the review. Very informative. I am still at only 10,000 miles so it will be a while before I swap my OEM pads. This is definitely something I will keep as an option.
Rolla- Forgive my memory. Did you have your OEM pads changed out via the TSB on them? You know I'm a stickler, and absolutely despised the insane amount of dust they put off in mere minutes! I openly proudly admit that I am pleasantly surprised at both the feel, and lack of dust these new OEM pads used on the TSB...

IMHO- they enable much better feel, without that sharp bite at the slightest touch of the brake pedal. Since I put on less miles a year than you do, I'll ride these Lexus pads out until the end before dropping between $400-600 on a set of Project Mu, Carbotech, or anything else. Right meow everything goes toward the new Wheels & Tires!
Old 05-15-19, 05:57 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear the good reviews. I've been using PowerStop pads/rotors on my Tacoma with great success, glad their quality seems to extend to our big beasties.