RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Noob here with a question about "shift lag" when in standard mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 06:10 PM
srider1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob here with a question about "shift lag" when in standard mode

I just purchased a 2015 RC F a couple weeks ago and have had a blast driving this car so far. As I've told several of my buddies, I'm a car guy who's been trapped in a 4 cyl vtech for 8 yrs! I have a lot to learn about this car and I'm slowly getting there thanks to this forum. One thing I haven't been able to find anything about though is what I can only describe as a lag when in standard mode shifting between 3rd and 4th gears.

Here's the scenario.....standard mode, slowing down to make a turn and trans shifts down to 3rd. Make the turn then into the throttle and the car almost feels like it loses power completely, then catches and shifts into 4th and up through the gear box. No other issues with shifting or idling or anything. Just wondering if this is just a trait of this transmission or if there's something else going on.

I apologize if this has been discussed in other threads but I searched for keywords and didn't find anything. Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-22-18, 06:21 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

It's been pretty heavily documented on here. There's a small throttle lag where it's like the car is thinking whether or not it wants to go in 3rd gear.

I did read somewhere that an ECU reset from the dealership helps it. Other people just get the Apexi throttle controller but I personally just drive it on Sport or Sport+ since I can never get over 18-20 mpg even when I'm trying
Old 10-22-18, 06:27 PM
srider1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lammyyy. I failed to mention in the original post that the high pressure fuel pump recall was performed back in June per the Lexus service history. I'll be sure to ask for a re-flash when I take it in for my next service and maybe that will help.
Old 10-22-18, 06:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

That is why I avoid using auto mode altogether when I drive it. Simply put it in manual mode and sport+. No lag issues anywhere.
Old 10-22-18, 06:47 PM
srider1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
That is why I avoid using auto mode altogether when I drive it. Simply put it in manual mode and sport+. No lag issues anywhere.
Good point....I've been using Sport S mode for the most part but sometimes, you know those mornings when you just want to cruise to work, I keep it in normal mode. I haven't noticed any fuel economy advantage so I might as well have fun huh?

Thanks for responding to the noob!
Old 10-22-18, 07:10 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

I would drive in sport mode at the min, 90+% time I'm in that mode . For some reason, normal feels like it's fighting you to maintain speed. Once my car is warmed I switch to sport, would like to keep it at default, but switching it over isn't a big deal.
Old 10-22-18, 07:11 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by srider1
Good point....I've been using Sport S mode for the most part but sometimes, you know those mornings when you just want to cruise to work, I keep it in normal mode. I haven't noticed any fuel economy advantage so I might as well have fun huh?

Thanks for responding to the noob!
Being a driver of 6 speed manual all my driving years, manual mode really even in bumper to bumper traffic is quite fun to use. I am used to driving a 6 speed manual with only 8 lbs flywheel every day during my office commute in stop and go traffic so driving the RCF in manual mode is a breeze. You just have to upshift and downshift like you are driving a true manual.

If I am exiting a small road and coming on to a major road, I anticipate a few steps ahead just like I do driving my 6 speed where I rev-match and downshift to the lowest gear while approaching the major road. Then accelerate when I see a decent gap. Same thing while approaching a turn etc. If I am on the freeway and I have to pass someone then I will tap the downshift paddle a few times and then wait for the opportunity to pass etc.
Old 10-22-18, 08:33 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, that's how it's done!!!

Old 10-22-18, 08:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The TSB ECU reflash should help. Or just drive in manual Sports +!!!!

Originally Posted by srider1
I just purchased a 2015 RC F a couple weeks ago and have had a blast driving this car so far. As I've told several of my buddies, I'm a car guy who's been trapped in a 4 cyl vtech for 8 yrs! I have a lot to learn about this car and I'm slowly getting there thanks to this forum. One thing I haven't been able to find anything about though is what I can only describe as a lag when in standard mode shifting between 3rd and 4th gears.

Here's the scenario.....standard mode, slowing down to make a turn and trans shifts down to 3rd. Make the turn then into the throttle and the car almost feels like it loses power completely, then catches and shifts into 4th and up through the gear box. No other issues with shifting or idling or anything. Just wondering if this is just a trait of this transmission or if there's something else going on.

I apologize if this has been discussed in other threads but I searched for keywords and didn't find anything. Any help is appreciated!
Old 10-23-18, 04:31 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Agreed But....

That's fine with me, except when I'm Talking, Texting, surfing thru Pandora, petting my dog, or peeing in a Gatorade bottle all at the same time! Only then am I more or less forced to use Auto Mode.
The following users liked this post:
JT2MA71 (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 05:03 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Since we're talking about the transmission, is there a way to keep it from shifting to 2nd when in manual mode and the tires spin from a stop? I've tried expert mode trac on or off, doesn't matter if in sports or sports+, it just keeps starting in 2nd.
Old 10-23-18, 06:41 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Since we're talking about the transmission, is there a way to keep it from shifting to 2nd when in manual mode and the tires spin from a stop? I've tried expert mode trac on or off, doesn't matter if in sports or sports+, it just keeps starting in 2nd.
Have you tried the pedal dance? Or holding down the traction button for 3 sec? Personally have not done this.

Old 10-23-18, 06:50 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Have you tried the pedal dance? Or holding down the traction button for 3 sec? Personally have not done this.
https://youtu.be/Z4sr76d_61g
Haven't tried the pedal dance yet. But, yeah, it does it even in the "secret" mode.
Old 10-23-18, 08:28 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

LOL, you just have to "time" every move correctly. Especially to aim correctly into the Gatorade bottle when peeing!!!

Seriously, you should really concentrating more on just driving. I've seen too many crashes due to distractions.

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
That's fine with me, except when I'm Talking, Texting, surfing thru Pandora, petting my dog, or peeing in a Gatorade bottle all at the same time! Only then am I more or less forced to use Auto Mode.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (10-24-18)
Old 10-23-18, 08:55 AM
Limelight
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
I can't speak for the RCF because I don't own one yet, but I know for my Acura RLX Sport Hybrid that it will always start in 2nd in sport mode. This is resolved by simply paddling down to M1 when stopped, apply the brake hold feature and then hammer down on the gas - and then it will start in first gear (but now I'm rowing the gears with paddles vs auto mode). Have you tried to just use the paddles to shift down to 1st before launching?

Quick Reply: Noob here with a question about "shift lag" when in standard mode