RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-18, 02:06 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Lexus Driving School

Did my due diligence and searched around first.
Seeking anyone who's attended the Lexus Performance Driving School. I keep receiving invites from Lexus and when I spoke to them, they said all one needs to do is get themselves to any of the designated tracks - and the actual course is Free.

https://lexusperformancedrivingschool.com

Ironically, I went thru a PSD Driving School MANY years ago and their Lead Instructor - Scott Pruett was the man! Totally different way of driving of course.

My question to anyone who's been thru the School is - Do they limit you to driving just the car you own, or can you drive them ALL?

Anxious to see who's been and your take on it. It's a far trip to any track for me, so just wish to hear it's totally worth it?
The following users liked this post:
RCF4DAD (09-21-19)
Old 08-16-18, 02:13 PM
Apaul
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Seeking anyone who's attended the Lexus Performance Driving School. I keep receiving invites from Lexus and when I spoke to them, they said all one needs to do is get themselves to any of the designated tracks - and the actual course is Free.

Ironically, I went thru a PSD Driving School MANY years ago and their Lead Instructor - Scott Pruett was the man! Totally different way of driving of course.

My question to anyone who's been thru the School is - Do they limit you to driving just the car you own, or can you drive them ALL?

Anxious to see who's been and your take on it. It's a far trip to any track for me, so just wish to hear it's totally worth it?
Hey man, I did the driving school. You get to drive dufferent cars based on the test. One was braking test where you compete against another car, here drove the IS 350. Then next was either drive rcf or gsf and last course which was times used lc500 . It was fun and towards the end sent us email for 7k off a F vehicle or any Lexus (idr) and they have snacks and drinks. It was lot of fun
Old 08-16-18, 02:59 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Awesome!

Wow. What a response time Apaul. Thanks for your input. Sure wish it was longer than one day, but it didn't cost you anything right? I'm the Snack King! Lol. ..

Let's chat offline. Oh. What track did you go to btw?
Old 08-16-18, 05:03 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Had not heard of this before and it will be at the Indy 500 next month with spots still open. Hmmmm. The price here is $995.

Last edited by SoSlow; 08-16-18 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 05:30 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default What?

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Had not heard of this before and it will be at the Indy 500 next month with spots still open. Hmmmm.
You bought your RCF New right? They send me invites via email and paper at least monthly!
Old 08-16-18, 08:50 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz

Can confirm what Apaul said, attended the Lexus Performance Driving school in Dallas last year. There's a difference between the free driving school and the paid driving school The free driving school is exactly as Apaul described and lasts a few hours total. It's not really a school as there's no real instruction, more of test driving different Lexus cars (RC350, RCF, LC) with no more than a few minutes seat time total. We did a brake test (10 seconds), basic road course (25 seconds), another road course (25 seconds) with about 3-4 turns per event. It was basically a test drive and marketing event for Lexus performance. However, It was free, a lot of fun, and did receive a 7k coupon for an RCF or LC. I actually used that 7k to buy my RCF as it was 7k after all other discounts/rebates/negotiations. I ended up receiving 14k off a new 2017 RCF.

In comparison, the $995 Lexus Performance Driving School is an actual school with instruction, education, course lessons with an instructor, etc... Similar to how BMW, MB, Porsche, etc... have driving schools.

Hope that helps.
konichiwa3 (05-07-19)
Old 08-20-18, 05:54 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Have done two of the full day Lexus schools and am signed up for the one at Laguna seca next January. Totally worth the money ($995 this year) its a full day 8+ hours and you get 5-6 hours of seat time with instructors providing input.
As mentioned previously, the free classes are essentially test drives in the various models with minimal seat time.
If possible, I would highly recommend the full day course and make a mini vacation out of it. They really encourage you to explore the cars (and your) limits. Several of us from last years event are going to the next one. I can hardly wait to drop down the corkscrew in a lc500
Old 08-20-18, 06:28 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Not to be this guy, but yeah its $995 not a bad price for the skills learned, but when they came to fl like 2-3 years ago.... Barely anyone signed up and it became free or around incredibly cheap , less than $100, 3 days prior to the event lmao.
Apone (05-08-19)
Old 08-21-18, 01:47 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been to two of the free events previously and am looking forward to being at Monticello in new York for the full day in November.
Old 08-21-18, 06:44 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
Not to be this guy, but yeah its $995 not a bad price for the skills learned, but when they came to fl like 2-3 years ago.... Barely anyone signed up and it became free or around incredibly cheap , less than $100, 3 days prior to the event lmao.
Good to know. I'm interested in the one coming here, but the price tag seems steep. There are several spots still open here, maybe they will drop the price. I can see it if I didn't have an F car and wanted the experience of driving one in that environment. So, that part of the experience isn't so special. The special part would be the instructors and track time. Especially if Scott Pruitt was a certainty, but it doesn't sound that he is guaranteed to be there. Either way, I'm leaving that weekend open and may just do it at asking price.
GunnyFitz (05-08-19)
Old 05-07-19, 08:47 PM
sensai
Advanced

Received 622 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh well, what the heck. Had a great performance review at work so time for a treat. Just signed up for this month and a full day of instruction at Laguna Seca. Living about an hour away I've been going there since I was a teenager mainly for superbike and GP races. I'm a total newb to the performance car scene so this should be fun! Never been on the track and never thought I'd ever actually drive Laguna. Can't wait to hit the corkscrew!!! Excited and nervous at the same time. Whoop!

"Congratulations! You are registered to experience amazing with Lexus."
The following 2 users liked this post by sensai:
GunnyFitz (05-08-19), konichiwa3 (05-07-19)
Old 05-08-19, 01:57 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

People spend a lot more to make the car "faster". Nothing adds speed, dollar for dollar, like the driver performance mod. Otherwise known as Formal Instruction.

It's why a great driver in a slower car can beat you on a course.

Further, I did not find the RCF to be as intuitive as some other cars. So why not go and learn what else it has when you get near a limit that most people won't touch on the street. And afterward will be less afraid to. Up to you to decide if that's good or bad
The following 2 users liked this post by Apone:
Disneydave (05-08-19), konichiwa3 (05-08-19)
Old 05-26-19, 08:16 AM
sensai
Advanced

Received 622 Likes on 219 Posts

Uh hmm I’m quite aroused right about now. We have some rain this morning but Scott mentioned it’s should clear in the afternoon. I really don’t care. Rain or shine. I’ve already decided I’m coming back again...

More to come on the “experience”. It’s great so far btw.
Apone (05-26-19)
Old 05-26-19, 09:11 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

The irony of "weathertech" and the rain is killin me - can't wait to hear and see more about your time there!
Old 09-14-19, 12:49 AM
Grahamexl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
In February, the price was $995, if I'm not mistaken. If you're interested, here's
what you can learn at Lexus Performance Driving School and an interview with Scott Pruett by Mac Morrison on Automobilemag. And for those, who already have some experience with this driving school, you can add reviews here: https://drivingschoolnear.me (I've just added it to the list of driving schools in the area, it may take time though for it to appear).

I still keep receiving invites, as a matter of fact, though I completed their driving courses long ago (asked them to learn driving on my own Lexus SC 400). A lot of my friends say these are just their automatic emails.

Quick Reply: Lexus Driving School