RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Carmax RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 11:25 PM
FrankJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carmax RCF?

Found a clean RCF, 17K, car is from NY, somehow ended up in San Diego. They want 45K for the car. What do you guys think about carmax?
Old 06-17-18, 12:18 AM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FrankJ
Found a clean RCF, 17K, car is from NY, somehow ended up in San Diego. They want 45K for the car. What do you guys think about carmax?
I’ve had friends buy from Carmax and they’re happy with their purchase. Only downside is there’s no haggle so their price is their price but it is usually a fair one.

If the car was well taken care of I think 45k is a fair price - a little on the high side but still fair.
Old 06-17-18, 01:11 AM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Assuming this is a 2015......I think that’s a good price regardless of equipment.
Old 06-17-18, 10:29 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Generally speaking you get a reasonable good car that went through its rigid inspections for a "good price". If you don't have the time or tge energy to hunt for a "better deal", then CarMax is the way to go.

Here is an article explaining why CarMax is SO MUCH MIRE PROFITABLE VERSUS THE COMPETITION. In the article it states, and I quote:

"CarMax is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to pre-owned vehicle retailing. It sells more than double the used inventory than their nearest competitor and they make significantly more money doing so. The primary reason for this is simple—most people are overpaying."

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-carma...any-1826415410

Just FYI, CarMax follows the similar rules as other major used car dealers with the 30, 60, 90 days rule. Meaning on the 31 and 61 days following on the lot, it will discount the car further. On the 91 day they plan on sending it to auction so they can"exchange" for "better inventory" for quicker sales. They track their stats carefully and tgstthwhy you don't see certain cars on their lots that often bc they know it's going to be hard to sell QUICKLY. The key word is "QUICKLY".

You can try to negotiate, but usually I found it to be unsuccessful in the past at CarMax. Unless you literally return back on the 31, 61, or 91 day. But you risk that another person will buy it before you.

​​​​​​​While they can not "discount" the price before it's time, TOU CAN ASK THEM TO THROW IN FREE THIRD PARTY EXTENDED WARRANTY (NOT LEXUS WARRANTY) AND SERVICES (like oil changes. Yes, they do routine maintenance on their lots!!)......but I'm leary on letting CarMax doing routine maintenance. A friend of mine bought a two year old BMW from CarMax and got serviced there for an oil change and they used the wrong filter. It was not discovered until the next oil change much later at BMW.....the oil filter used was much taller and CarMax just forced it in and crushed the oil filter and screw it in.

I would go for it if YOU REALLY LIKE THE CAR AND THE PRICE WON'T BREAK THE PIGGY BANK. A car is only worth as much as one is willing to pay.

Originally Posted by FrankJ

Last edited by lexusrus; 06-17-18 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-17-18, 01:10 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I bought mine from CarMax. I paid 47K. It had Premium PKG and ML sound system. Black with red leather interior. It was a lease return with 17K miles. It was like new interior wise. Had a couple of paint chips and a scuff on a rim. Overall it was very clean. It has been trouble free. The Lexus dealer that I had the recall done at did an inspection and everything was fine. I changed the air filter and cabin filter when I got it. Very smooth easy deal. It was weird to not negotiate but the car was very nice, so don't really care at this point. I was driving this morning and thinking how mint it is inside. Love the car.
Old 06-17-18, 11:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, CarMax usually got quality cars and hassle free. No frame damaged cars as they do their due diligence. But you pay for the convienence which is good for most of the public looking for a fair deal. But if you are looking for a GREAT deal, you might have to look harder elsewhere.

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I bought mine from CarMax. I paid 47K. It had Premium PKG and ML sound system. Black with red leather interior. It was a lease return with 17K miles. It was like new interior wise. Had a couple of paint chips and a scuff on a rim. Overall it was very clean. It has been trouble free. The Lexus dealer that I had the recall done at did an inspection and everything was fine. I changed the air filter and cabin filter when I got it. Very smooth easy deal. It was weird to not negotiate but the car was very nice, so don't really care at this point. I was driving this morning and thinking how mint it is inside. Love the car.
Old 06-25-18, 09:45 AM
Willow
Driver School Candidate

I was looking for about three months before I got my 2015 RCF from CarMax last year. They give you five days to return (no questions asked, literally, I asked about the fine print and it was one line). During that time, I took the car to Lexus, paid about $300 or so for the 161-point inspection and they advised if the car had come to them, they would have sold it as a CPO.

20k miles, black on black, ML, $47k. Great buy, very happy.

I've taken it to Lexus for all of my services.
Old 06-25-18, 01:51 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Carmax is an awesome place to test drive cars and even purchase them!
What's even better about buying from them is the warranty programs that they offer. It is really second to none in my opinion and everything is always hassle free
Old 06-26-18, 05:30 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

not bad, carmax is like going to Walmart