LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05/174k mi for $7400 asking in IL - good price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 04:52 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 05/174k mi for $7400 asking in IL - good price?

https://springfieldil.craigslist.org...032402473.html

Looks very nice. I'm good with my 04, just curious. Looks like a deal for the asking price
Old 03-25-17, 05:19 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

With that kind of mileage, maintenance history is obviously tantamount to the purchase price. It'll need a TB soon, and at that mileage the suspension no doubt needs some attention.
But, yeah, it'll probably last a few years without doing anything to it. As far as the price, for a 2005, it's probably not overpriced. There's just not a lot of the population that will spend almost 8,000 dollars for a car with 175K on it.
Old 03-25-17, 08:10 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

No back up camera?
Old 03-25-17, 08:14 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default backup camera

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
No back up camera?
no nav so it doesn't have a backup camera
Old 03-25-17, 08:39 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

That's a really nice looking car. Not sure about the tint all around, making the appearance of a wanna be gangster or scofflaw car IMO, but the tint can always be removed. The black leather is my #2 favorite. #1 is saddle. I have black leather and it just looks very rich and never gets old to look at.

That LS is a 'premium' without the Nav, so no backup camera is correct. Maybe you contact the seller and get the VIN and ask for a free Carfax? The write up doesn't say "no accidents" etc, but it could just be oversight on the person who wrote it up. That's just the pessimist in me looking to find something wrong with it, although when shopping used cars, it's wise to look for something wrong with it. With the VIN, you could also see the maintenance history if the owner took to the dealership, or if they manually entered service history themselves. The Lexus owners maintenance site has been posted on many of the threads here lately.

Ultimately, regardless the price, a car with that milage needs to be taken for a very careful and long test drive. You never know if the tranny has issues, or exhaust has leaks or if there's any codes that were recently cleared, etc. I'd even take an OBD2 scanner with you to absolutely confirm no codes are pending, especially if you're really really interested in the car. You should be able to work that price down, regardless how nice the car is.

Good luck, and let us know what the next steps are!
Old 03-25-17, 09:26 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Prolly a well maintained geezer car would look for dealer service. Otherwise has Michelins on it so good sign they did not skimp on tires
Old 03-25-17, 10:03 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Prolly a well maintained geezer car would look for dealer service. Otherwise has Michelins on it so good sign they did not skimp on tires
I agree w/the Michelin viewpoint but couldn't disagree anymore on the geezer viewpoint based on all the windows having tint!
Old 03-25-17, 10:05 AM
2KHarrier

Perhaps a previous Limo Car or Car Service?
Old 03-25-17, 10:06 AM
gonzo6869
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems a lil high

I think that is a little high for the milage and it's options.
i recently picked up an 05 w/Nav and 125,...miles for $8,500
Old 03-25-17, 10:17 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Cosmetically, it's definitely in great shape. I would just want to know the history, how many owners, accidents, was it a livery service car, etc.

But if everything checks out, and you can negotiate the price down a bit more, it's a fair deal. If you're really a bargain hunter, the 2001-2003 models are a good deal cheaper.

Sadly, this is probably what I'm looking it if I sell mine. These cars are just not worth much anymore, I'm starting to embrace the idea of driving until the wheels fall off.
Old 03-25-17, 10:25 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
That's a really nice looking car. Not sure about the tint all around, making the appearance of a wanna be gangster or scofflaw car IMO, but the tint can always be removed. The black leather is my #2 favorite. #1 is saddle. I have black leather and it just looks very rich and never gets old to look at.

That LS is a 'premium' without the Nav, so no backup camera is correct. Maybe you contact the seller and get the VIN and ask for a free Carfax? The write up doesn't say "no accidents" etc, but it could just be oversight on the person who wrote it up. That's just the pessimist in me looking to find something wrong with it, although when shopping used cars, it's wise to look for something wrong with it. With the VIN, you could also see the maintenance history if the owner took to the dealership, or if they manually entered service history themselves. The Lexus owners maintenance site has been posted on many of the threads here lately.

Ultimately, regardless the price, a car with that milage needs to be taken for a very careful and long test drive. You never know if the tranny has issues, or exhaust has leaks or if there's any codes that were recently cleared, etc. I'd even take an OBD2 scanner with you to absolutely confirm no codes are pending, especially if you're really really interested in the car. You should be able to work that price down, regardless how nice the car is.

Good luck, and let us know what the next steps are!
I used to think tint said gangster or limo. Now? Have 35% on back windows and doors. Great way to control heat (and save subwoofer)!

The Premium model means no obsolete NAV (and display problems). Mark Levinson stereo sounds great (I have) but it's expensive to repair and impossible to upgrade. Need a back up camera? Easy to install aftermarket.
Old 03-25-17, 10:45 AM
2KHarrier

Originally Posted by gonzo6869
I think that is a little high for the milage and it's options.
i recently picked up an 05 w/Nav and 125,...miles for $8,500
It all depends on where in the country you live. Here in the rust belt, cars without rust issues carry a slight premium.
Old 03-25-17, 11:54 AM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Judging by the trees in the background I'd say that the car has been on the lot since at least last fall which makes the last sentence in the ad rather amusing:

Will not be disappointed. Hurry in because this will sell quick.

Nothing wrong with the car sitting its just I think that they should be a little more motivated to move down on the price at this point...
Old 03-25-17, 12:18 PM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car I would just negotiate a cheaper price.
Old 03-26-17, 11:28 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I got my sport with all tinted windows from a guy who retired and sold me his LS which was his retirement "bonus". Spent summers in WI winters in TX. I think Springfield is south Illinois. I got a call into these guys just curious

Quick Reply: 05/174k mi for $7400 asking in IL - good price?