Top speed Carbon Fiber Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 01:24 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
What do you guys think of this?
​I know there's no gains, but does it look like the diameter is too small for the throttle body? Would hate to slap it on and worsen performance and waste $200.

Was just looking at your Ebay selection and saw one that comes with a K&N Air Filter too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Speed-P...FaeMWI&vxp=mtr

Since they are more for looks than anything, I was drifting toward this Takeda one. Note: This one connects to the OEM Airbox unlike the other one I posted earlier.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/aFe-Takeda-...haqFb9&vxp=mtr

We all know that Chinese Companies make Knock Offs of just about everything imaginable on eBay. One cant resist the opportunity to buy something cool that literally is HALF the cost of something from Vendors that work off here. (Speaking about Carbon Fiber Accessories)

Not sure what color your RCF is LXDSO- but don't ya think you absolutely need one of these??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-64-Kyosho...kAAOSwUIFax8EQ
The AFE is basically more cosmetic...basically, all of aftermarket kits are. I went with a titanium intake pipe and using the APEXi filter. I had purchased the whole APEXi kit which included the black silicon intake hose/pipe (which is just sitting in a box not being used) but got a sweet deal on the titanium one and just wanted to match my titan exhaust. Just go with what you want really as long as it isn't hurting performance.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-19-18)
Old 04-18-18, 03:04 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor061

I had purchased the top speed carbon pipe, I was gonna purchase the Tom’s version, but it was a little pricey for just looks, but I’m still on the fence about installing the carbon pipe, I’m just running the Apexi filter for now, I’m thinking the silicone set up of the whole Apexi intake system might have better cooling results, but I could be wrong with no dyno numbers, I daily drive my rcf and love the roar existing active intake when needed and quiet when I don’t wanna hear any noise and enjoy being in peaceful traffic in Hawaii.
Aloha! I love Hawaii!
Can you do me a favor and measure the diameter of the carbon pipe? Or maybe just use a string to measure the circumference just to see how it compares to stock? Like I mentioned I hope it's not smaller than the intended throttle body but hard to tell in the pic.
Regarding your concern about heat soak I think this is a non issue just because the velocity of the air plus the snorkel up front, the air doesn't sit stagnant long enough to change in temp that much as it passes through. I think silicone is better like HPS in that regards but man I just wanna dress the engine up a bit.
The takeda blue unfortunately doesn't match the manifold.
Old 04-18-18, 03:43 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

K&N is in the process of producing a "new" intake system which I was told will eliminate the stock air box. They used my car to test this new design. They agreed to dyno intake with my Borla to see what type of gains can be seen. Stock vs. Intake/Borla which seems to be a popular exhaust on this car.
Old 04-18-18, 03:59 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

What do you guys think of this?
​I know there's no gains, but does it look like the diameter is too small for the throttle body? Would hate to slap it on and worsen performance and waste $200.

Was just looking at your Ebay selection and saw one that comes with a K&N Air Filter too:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Speed-P...FaeMWI&vxp=mtr

Not sure what color your RCF is LXDSO- but don't ya think you absolutely need one of these??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-64-Kyosho...kAAOSwUIFax8EQ
Thanks! Been looking for a red one and stopped because they didn't have it and the larger scale ones are too much to spend on a novelty item! Picked up one for the desk.
Old 04-18-18, 07:39 PM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Thanks! Been looking for a red one and stopped because they didn't have it and the larger scale ones are too much to spend on a novelty item! Picked up one for the desk.
This is the system I bought from eBay for mine. It has a little bigger diameter elbow than stock and
really good connection on both ends. Not sure if the horsepower rating is correct, however it does have
a better sound to it now. Hope this helps.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Engine-Cold-A....c100005.m1851
Old 05-18-18, 12:55 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Anyone Have Apexi?????

Originally Posted by Ne1tHeRe
The AFE is basically more cosmetic...basically, all of aftermarket kits are. IUsing the APEXi filter. I had purchased the whole APEXi kit which included the black silicon intake hose/pipe (which is just sitting in a box not being used) but got a sweet deal on the titanium one and just wanted to match my titan exhaust. Just go with what you want really as long as it isn't hurting performance.
QUESTION HERE: Does ANYONE have this setup?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401507161854?rmvSB=true

Ebay Seller is telling me that they "Connect" to the Stock Airbox.

Do those "Hooks" on top of Carbon Guard actually connect to our OEM Airfilter Box?
Old 05-18-18, 07:53 PM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

QUESTION HERE: Does ANYONE have this setup?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401507161854?rmvSB=true

Ebay Seller is telling me that they "Connect" to the Stock Airbox.

Do those "Hooks" on top of Carbon Guard actually connect to our OEM Airfilter Box?
Yes they do, but its power robbing. Where are the top 2 air hoses that come stock? Gunny, don't get this you will lose performance. #1 where are the existing two top air hoses (to let the engine breath)? #2 the bigger the better. If you look a couple of messages back you will see the setup I bought. It is bigger than stock so the engine gets more air and it still connects the stock air system. #3 the most important addition on this end is an good filter, not the good looking blue hose. I know your car is blue but please don't do this. It is a waste of dineros. I swear I put the K&N system on and my car is amazing and that is before the exhaust. Let me know if you want more info an this.
Old 05-19-18, 05:49 AM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

#1 where are the existing two top air hoses
Old 05-19-18, 08:28 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sheyme
Yes they do, but its power robbing. Where are the top 2 air hoses that come stock? Gunny, don't get this you will lose performance. #1 where are the existing two top air hoses (to let the engine breath)? #2 the bigger the better. If you look a couple of messages back you will see the setup I bought. It is bigger than stock so the engine gets more air and it still connects the stock air system. #3 the most important addition on this end is an good filter, not the good looking blue hose. I know your car is blue but please don't do this. It is a waste of dineros. I swear I put the K&N system on and my car is amazing and that is before the exhaust. Let me know if you want more info an this.
Can't claim power gain or robbing without providing a proper before/after dyno.
Your opinion means squat without facts.
In fact, you didn't even do the due diligence to find out that the two air hoses were just rerouted.
Old 05-19-18, 09:15 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

I truly appreciate all your informative words and info. All too often we buy things (anything) due to it's Good Looks! I've used K&N since the 80s back when we washed and oiled filters, remember?
I was never a fan of their products since they rode out their name for decades, and others came fwd w newer gear. As MisterEun says, none of us will truly know what, and how something works until a dyno proves it. However, please dont get sideways on each other over something so small in life. These posts of mine are merely meant to obtain first hand info (Gouge as we call it in the Corps) so I'm thankful to all of you offering sound advice. I haven't committed to anything yet. Matter of fact, the Exhaust comes FIRST - which I'm still in a Holding Pattern on! 🇺🇸
Old 05-19-18, 10:45 AM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Can't claim power gain or robbing without providing a proper before/after dyno.
Your opinion means squat without facts.
In fact, you didn't even do the due diligence to find out that the two air hoses were just rerouted.
Yes I did have the "diligence" to see if it was rerouted. It is and quite extensively at that. It is a complete cluster. I don't like messing with what stuff that should not be messed with, but if you like it so be it.
It is not my car. It also looks like the diameter is smaller so that would equate to less airflow. As far as I am concerned that means less power. Good luck on your decision. I would definitely do the exhaust though.
Old 05-19-18, 02:18 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sheyme
Yes I did have the "diligence" to see if it was rerouted. It is and quite extensively at that. It is a complete cluster. I don't like messing with what stuff that should not be messed with, but if you like it so be it.
It is not my car. It also looks like the diameter is smaller so that would equate to less airflow. As far as I am concerned that means less power. Good luck on your decision. I would definitely do the exhaust though.
Diligence before you post not after, case in point your quote: "where are the existing two top air hoses". You're again incorrect about it being extensive since anyone who watched the installation video could see how easy to do it was. But most importantly the length of the hose hasn't changed so it makes no difference.

You don't like messing with stuff that should not be messed with? So you plan to keep your car stock (but didn't you replace with a different filter)? Who's the judge on what should and shouldn't be messed with? I'm confused on your argument here.

The elbow's circumference is negligible in difference, but I'll go ahead and accurately measure a comparison between the oem and takeda for you on Monday. You should do the same with your K&N. Hopefully it's obvious but the inner circumference is what matters not outer.

Overall, my point here is that you keep making statements based on opinion and not facts, support your arguments with actual data otherwise it's not addressing the concerns of the question and ultimately unhelpful.
Old 05-19-18, 04:47 PM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

That statement was exactly in response of where the 2 hoses are. They are no longer in the original position and if you like that that is good. I am not a fan of it. Replacing the air filter element is also more difficult, there is no way you just open the 2 clips and insert a new filter. I guarantee you will need to move all kinds of hardware just to get to it. That is a fact but that is also ok, if you are happy with your setup.This is a Forum and it is here to discuss, take apart agree and disagree and share insight on what we like and don't like. Enough said and I hope you will like your air intake.
Old 05-19-18, 04:53 PM
Ricardorc
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Lems with blitz drop in
The following users liked this post:
sheyme (05-20-18)
Old 05-20-18, 09:48 AM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ricardorc