Search this Thread

Old 04-27-18, 11:03 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by njsteve

FYI

17s are selling between $58K to $59K
Good to know. They have this one at $63k. 7k miles, Red and white. Has premium pack, ML pack, weather pack and adaptive cruise ... no performance pack. '17 still hasn't depreciated enough. For a little more you can get new.

For me, the sweet spot will be $45k for a loaded '15 with <15k miles, or '16 for $50k.
Old 04-27-18, 03:54 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Heres my review from the G37 forum i came from!!

Whats going on everyone, just thought id provide a little update so far as of week#2 ownership of the RCF..

2015 Ultra White, 12,500 miles. $46K tag.
-performance package ( Carbon fiber roof / Spoiler / Torque Vectoring Differential)
-Mark Levinson sound
-F.

-Deciding factors of the RCF i ended up going this route other than the 1. Porsche 911 carrera s (997.1/2) , S2000 CR, Infiniti Q60RS, Shelby GT350. --- I felt like the RCF would be the best daily sports car. Lexus reliability, a comfortable back seat, plenty of power and decent aftermarket support. Ended up on the higher end of the budget but I feel it was well worth it.

Factors that ruled out the competitors:
06-09 Porsche 911 Carrera S:
Maintenance if something breaks itll break the bank, also the dated creature comforts especially sound/interior is what scared me away, but the driving experience is bar none out of the group.. Classic look, 6mt, engine response and overall feel.

S2000
-Fun FUN FUN FREAKING blast to drive car.. Best transmission.. and its a street legal go cart... - Main reason to rule out - Downgrade from the G and no back seats.

Q60 Red Sport
-Probably the most competitive out of the bunch, newer car, plenty of power, twin turbo, same price range.Ruled out - "im going to mod this thing like i did the G.... Daily it.. its going to break.. especially all of the horror stories everyone is having with them with turbos etc..." They respond well to upgrades but for how long is the question. Reliability.

GT350
-Didnt bother test driving one once i saw the interior... Old switch board looking and dated. I love the way they look and supposedly perform though.

RCF is the winner!
-Initial Thoughts- Coming from a pretty modded G37 6mt. I really wanted a manual car but I there were not enough options while still stepping up the G whereas a s2k would be a step down other than the rare Club racer editiosn. The exterior of the RCF is aggressive and its a big heavy car, with some big characteristics. The styling breaks necks and i've gotten plenty of thumbs up from drivers. Carbon Fiber. And its JDM V8 power. Its fun being able to blast around slamming the gas pedal, even missing a third pedal.

The First Drive - "This is a BIG car" - you feel the weight, but the engine rolls through the RPM's fairly quick. The Faux noise you get from the tunnel noise setup that lexus provides is pretty enticing for the driver feel. But you dont hear any exhaust whats so ever. Just a llittle rumble and the car is blasted off wherever you smashed the pedal down. Even on regular/normal mode, the car rides as a Sports car should. The Seats are fairly comfortable, they hug you and look amazing. I had to test out the mark levinson sound system to the fullest. I've had alot of compliments on the G's sound system with tech / bose in there with a aux cord. People always ask if i have any aftermarket additions... Imagine that, except 1/2x louder and more crisp with enough bass to match. a MUST HAVE.

2 Week Check in
-The car is TOO DAMN QUIET. I know its a luxury sports car. But i feel like a stock G37 is louder when it shouldnt be. I did a resonator delete and it added a little bit of volume. I had some friends visit and had them in the back seat and surprisingly they fit comfortably. Had more room than the G (headroom). 2 guys about 5'7 /5'8 170/200lb Sat okay in the back seat no problems. I've been enjoying driving the car in sport mode majority of the time. Very Very Daily-able. Im not sure on the MPG as i've been punching it quite a bit just for the sheer joy of seeing the RPM's fly through and the car get a little squirmy on MPSS's. Fit's everyone comfortably. Overall I am very pleased with the car, no buyers remorse settling in. The interior **** pit is a nice kind of semi cluttered but not feeling once you get use to it i assume. I feel like its alot of car for the money, considering reliability and performance at a 45k price point. (you can find some RCF's with Mark levinson and fairly low milage 35-40kish Miles for $40-43k)

Future Plans: Eventually lower it and put my SSR SP3's on.. but first thing will be a Borla Catback.. (BTW, theres a premium on RCF aftermarket parts lol.. i guess its in the "higher end" of sports cars now) so parts will be coming slow for me lol.

I hope this helps for anyone who was looking for an RCF. I will be on here and there. See you guys later! :thewave:
Old 04-28-18, 05:55 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

I talked to the dealership this morning to make sure the car would be available today. It is, but it is in "dealing" at the Jag dealership. I could probably find it on the lot, it's behind the Lexus dealership. I talked with the sales man for a few and explained I wasn't really interested in buying that particular car, but more interested in just seeing a RC F and test driving to see if it's the car for me. He was all on board, no problem, not this weekend but next weekend I will hook up with him and get a full look at the car. He told me some story about his dealership being diamond or premium elite or some BS and that they only offer no haggle prices, all salesmen are finance agents, I would only deal with one person when buying with them. Sounded good, but $63k firm for a 17 without performance pack or moon roof and won't negotiate. Seems high to me.

I decided to go ahead and stop by the and see if I could find this car. Wasn't hard, it's the iridium red color and it was a bright sunny day. Wow, that paint is so impressive in person. I imagine the blue is similar, which is my preferred color. And the car, WOW, even more impressive in person than the pictures. My wife was with me and she was even impressed. She has never liked the Z. Just this simple walk around has peaked my interest even more.

While we were there, we also looked at the 350 F Sport and the LC500. Well, the 350 is officially off my list. No comparison at all to the RC F. The LC is wild looking but I honestly like the F better. I still haven't driven any Lexus and didn't even get to open a door on anything today, but it really spike my interest.

I need to get aggressive on selling my Z so I can pursue the right car when it comes up. Couple questions I ponder. I want the ML Audio and the TVD. How much of a difference is there in the stock stereo and the ML? Are there other options\inputs\features with the ML system? I believe I saw it comes with aluminum *****. Is the TVD a make or break option if this will be a fair weather weekend car?

Last edited by SoSlow; 04-30-18 at 03:00 AM.
Old 04-28-18, 08:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow

I decided to go ahead and stop by the and see if I could find this car. Wasn't hard, it's the iridium red color and it was a bright sunny day. Wow, that paint is so impressive in person. I imagine the blue is similar, which is my preferred color. And the car, WOW, even more impressive in person than the pictures. My wife was with me and she was even impressed. She has never liked the Z. Just this simple walk around has peaked my interest even more.
Yes, you are right. Stand close to it especially in bright colors, you really appreciate all of muscular bulges, lines and how they flow. With molten pearl. this car is an absolute attention magnet. Never thought a Lexus could command so much attention and gaze. I agree with you and prefer the RCF design over the LC500. Subjectively, LC500 looks too big in real life and I find it a bit "squarish" in design.

While we were there, we also looked at the 350 F Sport and the LC500. Well, the 350 is officially off my list. No comparison at all to the RC F. The LC is wild looking but I honestly like the F better. I still haven't driven any Lexus and didn't even get to open a door on anything today, but it really spike my interest.
Especially coming from a 370Z (I have seen the interior), once you step in, you will feel like you are stepping in the cockpit of a fighter jet. If you like snug feeling interiors with all controls, buttons, switches and screens within your arm's reach, you will like it.

I need to get aggressive on selling my Z so I can pursue the right car when it comes up. Couple questions I ponder. I want the ML Audio and the TVD. How much of a difference is there in the stock stereo and the ML? Are there other options\inputs\features with the ML system? I believe I saw it comes with aluminum *****. Is the TVD a make or break option if this will be a fair weather weekend car?
ML sounds amazing. Especially in the midranges and high ranges, it is incredible. Feels like you are sitting in a theater and watching a concert. However, I have yet to use it while I am driving since I want to listen to V8 noise. Cannot bring myself to play music off my phone through Bluetooth. Not sure if I will ever be using it regularly. Maybe, on long straight cruises, but that is about it.
Old 04-29-18, 05:54 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, you are right. Stand close to it especially in bright colors, you really appreciate all of muscular bulges, lines and how they flow. With molten pearl. this car is an absolute attention magnet. Never thought a Lexus could command so much attention and gaze. I agree with you and prefer the RCF design over the LC500. Subjectively, LC500 looks too big in real life and I find it a bit "squarish" in design.

Especially coming from a 370Z (I have seen the interior), once you step in, you will feel like you are stepping in the cockpit of a fighter jet. If you like snug feeling interiors with all controls, buttons, switches and screens within your arm's reach, you will like it.

ML sounds amazing. Especially in the midranges and high ranges, it is incredible. Feels like you are sitting in a theater and watching a concert. However, I have yet to use it while I am driving since I want to listen to V8 noise. Cannot bring myself to play music off my phone through Bluetooth. Not sure if I will ever be using it regularly. Maybe, on long straight cruises, but that is about it.

Basically true....no one in their right mind would listen to the radio music over the V8 2UR GSE engine noise.... ESPECIALLY with an aftermarket exhaust.
And the ML system SUCKS compared to a properly designed, built, installed, and tuned aftermarket system (which is what I've been doing professionally the last 12 years). Save yourself the money if you're buying the car new.....spend less on the aftermarket stuff and get better results.

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 05-18-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-09-18, 08:53 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Anyone import from Canada? Found a '17 at a Lexus dealer in Canada. About 8hrs away. I understand I would have to pay Canada tax (13%) and it would be refunded. The dealership says the only fees are the price and the tax, but I should contact a brokerage company to handle all the paperwork and fine details. Somewhat of a hassle, but $10k less than one at my local dealer with less options. Anyone been down this road? Is it simple? How could I manage to physically check out the car this way? I suppose just make the trip, put a deposit, then file the papers, transfer the money and then go back to pick it up??? or ship it.

Any differences in Canada and US models? I noticed this one has a lane departure button next to the adaptive cruise. I don't think I've seen lane departure on the US models. I believe it also have auto high beam. Salesman said you can switch from miles to kilometer easily, but thought it couldn't be changed from Celsius to Fahrenheit?

Last edited by SoSlow; 05-09-18 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 09:23 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

There are only two trim levels available. Both are loaded with all options except one comes with LSD and the 10 split spoke wheels while the other (I have), is loaded with carbon package and 20 spoke hand polished wheels.

There is a setting in the screen where you can change from metric to imperial units. I think that will handle the gauge cluster and the infotainment units (for gas mileage). There is also heated steering wheel in all RCFs here. If you were to purchase from Alberta, you only pay 5% GST on new and none on used. You are right about the lane departure alert button being on the steering wheel. Yes, also auto mode for headlights. DRL run all the time and it goes to standard or high beam automatically when it gets dark.

I would recommend either having someone check it out or you checking it out yourself since it is such a far distance away. You can pay a trucking company about $1500 to bring it to you as well.

Anyone import from Canada? Found a '17 at a Lexus dealer in Canada. About 8hrs away. I understand I would have to pay Canada tax (13%) and it would be refunded. The dealership says the only fees are the price and the tax, but I should contact a brokerage company to handle all the paperwork and fine details. Somewhat of a hassle, but $10k less than one at my local dealer with less options. Anyone been down this road? Is it simple? How could I manage to physically check out the car this way? I suppose just make the trip, put a deposit, then file the papers, transfer the money and then go back to pick it up??? or ship it.

Any differences in Canada and US models? I noticed this one has a lane departure button next to the adaptive cruise. I don't think I've seen lane departure on the US models. I believe it also have auto high beam. Salesman said you can switch from miles to kilometer easily, but thought it couldn't be changed from Celsius to Fahrenheit?
The following users liked this post:
SoSlow (05-09-18)
Old 05-18-18, 07:00 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

The dealer dropped the price on the red '17 to $59,995. It is CPO, 6700 miles, 1 owner, purchased 12/04/17 - so 5.5 yr of warranty left. Doesn't have moon roof or performance package. Salesman acts like the price is set, telling me they only offer no haggle pricing, but they have dropped it 3 times in the last month since telling me that. I wasn't planning to spend more than $55k, but I think if this comes down another $2k I will seriously consider it. I think they will have a hard time selling this car unless someone like me is specifically looking for one. Do you think I'm wrong not wanting to give more than $58k for it? Sticker was $76k.

19" Split 10-Spoke Forged Alloy Wheels $850.00
All Weather Package $280.00
Leather Trimmed Interior (Seats) $800.00
Navigation System w/Mark Levinson Audio $2,550.00
Pre-Collision System with Radar Cruise Control $500.00
Premium Package $3,240.00
Premium Paint $595.00 Premium Triple Beam LED Headlamps $1,160.00
All Weather Floor Liners $139.00
Cargo Net/Trunk Mat/Whl Locks/Rr Bumper App/Glove $339.00
Illuminated Door Sills $449.00
Total Optional Equipment $10,902.00
Vehicle Base Model $64,165.00
Delivery Processing and Handling $995.00
Total MSRP* $76,062.00
Old 05-18-18, 08:21 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Youll never really miss the sunroof imo since I have the performance package. But the ML stereo makes that deal very attractive and the cpo and warranty too. You can also add a yr or 2 to that warranty at the time of purchase if you want or even negotiate prepaid service if they cant drop the price but can add more value.
ask the service mgr to quote you the next 4 or service visit costs. Up through 50k maybe. Then see how much of that they will throw in
final thoughts.
2017 and 18s cannot be tuned by RR racing if you decide to get headers
Old 05-20-18, 02:42 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GetKinetic
2017 and 18s cannot be tuned by RR racing if you decide to get headers
Please elaborate. They dont have any tunes for these models? Swear I saw something on their site for the 17. And FWIW, once ya have a true "Moon Roof" it sucks not having one there above ya anymore. My personal opinion of course.
Old 05-26-18, 04:06 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

I was planning to go test drive the red '17 Monday. CPO, All options std wheels minus moon roof and perf pack with 8k for 59K. Dealer the opposite direction just told me they have a white on red '17 with 8k, demo car can be titled as new. Has all options with 20 spoke wheels minus perf pack for 60k.
I'm leaning toward the demo. My preferred color is blue on gray, but not fixed on it. I'm up in the air between red or white. Each car is 1.5 hrs away, opposite directions, have to choose one for Monday.
Old 05-26-18, 04:20 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

That's a whole bunch of numbers I have to read 3-4 times. Go w the Red one if they can really title as new w warranty too.

We all have our likes n dislikes. I'm 100% content w Premium Package only. Like the Moonroof personally and wouldn't sacrifice it for TVD. Not sure how this would help, but I got my 2017 for 58k brand new, in showroom. If ya haven't seen color combo its everywhere in here. Couldn't be any happier and content w this purchase. Even had the White on Red for a 24 he test drive - kept it overnight to be sure it fit in garage. Definitely not my preferred color, but as I said. We all have different tastes. Go with your gut man! (Red)

Fit in garage!
Old 05-26-18, 04:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

FOR THE ONE THEY SAY THEY CAN TITLE AS NEW......

A critical thing to know and find out for sure in writing from the Lexus dealership is the "IN SERVICE DATE". This is important bc that WILL BE THE OFFICIAL DATE THE OEM NEW LEXUS CAR WARRANTY STARTS (NOT FROM THE DATE YOU BOUGHT IT).!!! IF that Lexus DEALERSHIP HAD NOT "MARKED" IT AS SOLD with the Lexus HQ (to get some sort of ADDITIONAL incentives from Lexus HQ), then you are OK and the "in service date" will be the date you took possession/delivery. Otherwise there are TWO very different dates!!!!

I was planning to go test drive the red '17 Monday. CPO, All options std wheels minus moon roof and perf pack with 8k for 59K. Dealer the opposite direction just told me they have a white on red '17 with 8k, demo car can be titled as new. Has all options with 20 spoke wheels minus perf pack for 60k.
I'm leaning toward the demo. My preferred color is blue on gray, but not fixed on it. I'm up in the air between red or white. Each car is 1.5 hrs away, opposite directions, have to choose one for Monday.
Old 05-28-18, 12:16 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

I test drove one today. Sold on the car, just not this one. It was a 'demo' car with 8k miles on it. Too much wear and tear, not mechanically, but it looks like it lived outside and whoever drove it didn't care about keeping the interior up. It had film on the hood that was yellow and looked terrible. The search goes on. On the warranty, it would be back dated 1.5 yr. They offered free CPO to make up for it. Still, it just wasn't the right one. I didn't get an opportunity to really see what the car was really about performance wise, but enough to know the RC F will be my next car. Really like the ride quality and interior, the exhaust was weak, didn't try the infotainment or stereo. The search continues.