RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Need a bit of post-purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-18, 04:17 PM
DrewDrop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need a bit of post-purchase advice

Bought a Lexus Certified 2015 RC F this weekend that had 14k miles on it. Had Alloy wheels, leather seats, Navigation/Mark Levinson Package, Premium Package and Moonroof. CPO means another 2 years of warranty (making it out to 2021), and the next 4 scheduled service free.

Paid 49k plus tax. As a newbie, I am looking for the Lexus experts to tell me if I paid too much?

Dealer is offering 5 year extended warranty for 3k. Also offering next 2 years scheduled services free, if I paid 1400 down right now. Are these worth it?

Please advice.
Old 01-15-18, 04:45 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

2 years of maintenance is basically 4 oil changes, and perhaps 2 cabin filter replacements. so at most $600 out of pocket if you take it to the dealer for these items, if you do yourself or locally, about half that.

I paid $1,895 for my 7yr 90K warranty extension when I purchased new in 2015, so from my POV, no, not worth it.

as for paying too much, you paid about average, I've seen a few 2015s with 25k -35K miles for $44k/$45k recently in California, so while maybe not a great deal, not really a bad deal..
The following users liked this post:
DrewDrop (01-15-18)
Old 01-15-18, 06:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Just curious - if someone said you paid too much, would it change how you feel about the car or just the purchase?

I have difficulty understanding the need for external validation once I've decided to spend my money. There are lots of threads here arguing this in the IS, RC, and GS F forums, but it baffles me why would you care after you've cut the check and got the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
DrewDrop (01-15-18), finny76 (01-23-18)
Old 01-15-18, 06:51 PM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Just curious - if someone said you paid too much, would it change how you feel about the car or just the purchase?

I have difficulty understanding the need for external validation once I've decided to spend my money. There are lots of threads here arguing this in the IS, RC, and GS F forums, but it baffles me why would you care after you've cut the check and got the car.
completely agree with you. if I'm concern with the price of something I do my research before i spend a cent, when I purchase something I pay what is worth to me. could care less if anybody think I paid too much or too little.
Old 01-15-18, 08:55 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Originally Posted by luislopezt
completely agree with you. if I'm concern with the price of something I do my research before i spend a cent, when I purchase something I pay what is worth to me. could care less if anybody think I paid too much or too little.

100% agree. Makes no sense. What if we all say "you paid too much"????? What you do? Go back and beg for a cheaper price to make you feel good???
Research needs to be done ore-purchase, not post- purchase when it comes to cost.
Enjoy your new car!! No matter if you got a super duper smoking deal or if you paid $20k "too much", whatever that means, enjoy the car!!

V.
Old 01-16-18, 11:21 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with mjeds, you paid about average. There are a lot of certified cars listed well above $49k but there are also a handful listed around $45k with similar or slightly higher miles. As long as its in good condition, you should feel good about your deal.

I would skip the extended warranty and prepaid maintenance, not worth it in my opinion.
Old 01-18-18, 07:03 AM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

The two biggest lies in the consumer world is "how much" you paid for your house and "how little" you paid for your car....now with that being said I agree wholeheartedly with everyone else. Research should have been done before purchase. No need for validation afterwords. As a Finance Manager at a Toyota store, I don't see the value in prepaid maintenance, but there is tremendous value in an "extended warranty". But it has to cater to your driving habits, i.e., mileage and term. I believe $3K might be a bit high, as there is a certified wrap option that should be significantly less than that.....
Old 01-18-18, 09:09 PM
Tempest
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

In December 2017 I purchased a 2015 RC F with Mark Lev, Premium Package, Performance Package, LED headlights, and hand polished 19's... literally every single option I wanted with the exact color combo too (Obsidian with Black Leather). After some exhaustive searching, I found the car out of state, but it had only 3900 miles on it! I ended up flying out to check out the car and it was everything I wanted and then some. Turns out the previous owner barely drove the car because he had a sizable stable of cars, which explained the really low miles. I paid $51K for a car that, for lack of a better term, was perfect to me. I have absolutely zero regrets and although I think I got a sweet deal for the car, others may disagree. But that doesn't matter to me, and to echo everyone else above this reply, it shouldn't matter to you either. Truthfully, the only reason I'm sharing my story is because it's pertinent to your situation, otherwise I just would have kept it to myself.

Hopefully you're not feeling guilty because you personally think you spent too much for your budget, or you have family or friends saying that you did. That's another topic...

Point is that you shouldn't search for validation from the masses. And perfect strangers on the Internet is the last place I would look, even if I was. (Inversely, that means that you shouldn't take my advice either... so meta!)
Old 01-22-18, 08:05 PM
ToyotaJon
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with the others. As long as you are happy with your purchase and paid what you wanted to pay.
Old 01-24-18, 09:57 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I work for a dealer group with 10+ rooftops. Trust me, if you have a loan in the 2-3% range of APR - you are miles ahead of a ton of buyers I've seen deals from. The amount of times I've seen people paying $700-800/mo WITH a down payment for EVOs, STIs, 50k mile CTS-Vs, etc is high just because of their rates (I wouldn't even touch 7-8% with those loans)

I've actually seen RC350s being sold for ~12k less than my RC-F but their total pay-off if they keep their payments at a minimum would be more than mine. Again, the car will depreciate and there will be better buys than you, but IMO as long as you understand what you got yourself into financially and in regards to your loan, don't fret.

I purchased mine CPO for mid 50k so I knew I didn't have to consider F&I products so it's a straightforward purchase - while I wish I bought from the private section here with modded RCFs for high 40k, the CPO unlimited miles warranty is great. Plus I think we're all crossing fingers on this car's price stabilizing at some point, even if it doesn't happen I doubt it'll drop as hard as the other options we have with a $75k MSRP.
Old 01-24-18, 04:54 PM
msp1055
Driver School Candidate

I bought a CPO 2015 loaded this past September with 11k miles for 44 here in Maryland.
Old 01-25-18, 07:34 PM
dblambo85
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msp1055
I bought a CPO 2015 loaded this past September with 11k miles for 44 here in Maryland.
Thats a great deal!! Wish I could land that soon
Old 02-03-18, 09:10 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

a year ago I paid $53k for a 2015 cpo, 11k miles. if that helps
Old 02-03-18, 04:08 PM
LamTheSham
Pole Position

I'm in the market for an RCF also. Started shopping around and I just got quoted a little short of 50k out the door - has everything except TVD package.

I think you paid a fair price for it but it's in the past now. Just enjoy the car!
Old 02-03-18, 07:05 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LamTheSham
I'm in the market for an RCF also. Started shopping around and I just got quoted a little short of 50k out the door - has everything except TVD package.

I think you paid a fair price for it but it's in the past now. Just enjoy the car!
or pick up a brand new 2016 for 53.3 plus ttl in ny. That be my route instead buying someone else’s used sports car

Quick Reply: Need a bit of post-purchase advice