RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New Car Squeaky Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 11:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
Brembo doesn't make them, but they do sell/supply them for their calipers, and I've had this discussion with them several times over several vehicles that use OEM Brembo products.. The original pads that come with the OEM Brembo equipped vehicles don't last for *****. When I replaced them on my Chrysler 300c with Hawk branded pads I got over 70K out of the Hawk pads, before I chose to replace them, probably could have gone longer, but as stated I don't like to wear pads down to the sensors. When I replaced them on my Camaro SS the pads were at 2mm at 12K miles, but the Hawk replacements got 27K when the car was bought back under Lemon Law and they were at 7.25mm down from 9mm.

When I complained to Chrysler, they handed me off to Brembo, when I complained to Chevy, they also handed me off to Brembo, a Brembo Rep came to the dealership (as I had another issue with the Brembos on the Camaro and GM wanted Brembo to look at them) and I discussed it in person with the rep, and the Brembo rep told me the same thing.. The OEM pads they include with their OEM calipers have about a 15K life span.

When I complained to Lexus about the dust and squeal issues, I was told I could do the LSB, but was advised by the dealership SM that I should wait it out until the pads were close to 4mm, I'm simply passing that suggestion on. You call it getting something for nothing, I call it utilizing the pads within the parameters of the LSB and getting as much life out of them as possible before switching to a street pad which was the Lexus answer to correcting an issue that MANY customers complained about (hence the LSB).

If Lexus didn't want to fix the issue the LSB would never have been available, and if Lexus cared about when it was done the parameters of the LSB would not have had a set depth at which point the LSB would no longer apply, 4mm is half the life of the pad.

Also the ISF and the RCF do not use the same Calipers or Pads. The RCF caliper is larger with larger rotors,
OK Guy. My last post responding to you. This is getting really silly. I never said that the RCF used the same calipers as the ISF, I said the pad compound was similar. The TSB was issued only because some folks don't like the characteristics of performance pads. Absolutely no other reason. Some LC500 owners are complaining about the exact same thing. If you want to believe what you want to believe, that's fine with me.

Sounds like you've had many brake issues over the years, all involving Brembo, makers of, IMHO, the finest performance calipers in the business. Not saying I don't believe you, but there has to be a reason the pics I posted above show quite a bit of wear left at 23K miles and that poster lexusrus had much pad left when he replaced his tires. Also, Hawk brand pads are something I would never consider for a Brembo caliper on a performance machine. Again, go and be happy and yes, it must be all Brembos fault Problems with them on Chrysler, Chevy and now Lexus. Yep, I get it, Brembo's fault alright. And, you even had a Lemon Law vehicle. Dealer's must really love you

Lou
Old 01-03-18, 09:28 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
OK Guy. My last post responding to you. This is getting really silly. I never said that the RCF used the same calipers as the ISF, I said the pad compound was similar. The TSB was issued only because some folks don't like the characteristics of performance pads. Absolutely no other reason. Some LC500 owners are complaining about the exact same thing. If you want to believe what you want to believe, that's fine with me.

Sounds like you've had many brake issues over the years, all involving Brembo, makers of, IMHO, the finest performance calipers in the business. Not saying I don't believe you, but there has to be a reason the pics I posted above show quite a bit of wear left at 23K miles and that poster lexusrus had much pad left when he replaced his tires. Also, Hawk brand pads are something I would never consider for a Brembo caliper on a performance machine. Again, go and be happy and yes, it must be all Brembos fault Problems with them on Chrysler, Chevy and now Lexus. Yep, I get it, Brembo's fault alright. And, you even had a Lemon Law vehicle. Dealer's must really love you

Lou
lemon law had nothing to do with the brakes, and GM lemon lawed over 30% of the 2011 -2013 Camaro convertibles due to a design defect in the convertible top mechanism that would tear the cloth top during the retracting process, I had my top replaced 4 times in 3 years due to this issue, and it wasn't a small tear, these were 4" - 7" rips in the fabric where the top snagged onto the frame, and each time the dealership had my car 3 weeks or more (the first time it took 2 months) to replace the top because they had to outsource the work to a local upholstery shops as the GM dealership were ill equipped to handle the issue . The rest of the 2011-2013 owners settled a class action (those involved) resulting in a trade in credit on a their Camaros to offset the cost of the fabric tops they had to replace out of pocket.

and yes I blame the OEM pads, I can get up to 80k out of the brakes of other vehicles, and up to 50k out of aftermarket pads on the Brembo calipers, but in all cases the OEM pads that came on the car when purchased new had a very low life and squealed and dusted very badly.. I get they are high performance pads and this is "the nature of them", but I bought my vehicle for street driving and daily commuting in Los Angeles stop and go traffic, and thus require tires and brakes that work well in this scenario, I don't track my car; so the high performance stuff doesn't mean anything to me. And the Hawk pads worked just fine for my needs. lasting nearly 4 times longer than the OEM Chrysler or GM pads. When the time comes the RCF will have the LSB pads replaced with another set of the LSB pads as they suit my needs.
Old 01-03-18, 12:40 PM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Which kind of BRAKE pads/rotors did you get? I like to be prepared when the time/need arises down the road. Thanks
http://www.shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehicl...F-PKGLX-IRK-02

Got the stainless lines with G-Loc GS1 pads (Special order) front and RB XT910 rear.
Old 01-04-18, 12:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The GS F does use the same calipers, pads, and rotors as the RC F. I am rapidly approaching 20k miles and still have 50% pad left front and rear. Not sure how the 14K mile life is "expected." Sounds more like service life could be as low as 14k miles, a lot like the tires (which made it to 19.8K and still had 4.5mm tread before I put on Pilot Sport AS3+ to deal with this nasty cold snap). Seriously, anyone killing these pads in 14k is doing something wrong.

Yes, they do occasionally squeak, but they're nothing like the full race pads I have on my IS F, and unlike the Carbotech XP12s on the IS F, they are incapable of overwhelming the ABS.
Old 01-04-18, 12:20 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I'm just not confident about stainless steel brake lines as if not inspected regularly they will fail catastrophically with little warning. Pads and rotors are EXCELLENT.

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
http://www.shopfigs.com/v3/by-vehicl...F-PKGLX-IRK-02

Got the stainless lines with G-Loc GS1 pads (Special order) front and RB XT910 rear.
Old 01-04-18, 12:22 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

BTW, when I had the new all seasons tires put on and looked at my OEM brake pads at all 4 corners was last November and odo was 26xxx miles. Brake pads are still got lots of life left.

Originally Posted by flowrider

Lou
Old 01-04-18, 09:13 AM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 08sgmis350
Our brembo squeaks randomly. my other car's brembo squeaked too. it's just natural when u own high end brakes. it doesn't squeaks every time but i usually hear it when I fight traffic going bumper to bumper.
+2 on this post. The first thing I noticed on my "17" was the brake squeak. The second thing I noticed was the copious amounts of brake dust. Both are indicative of high performance brakes, especially 6-piston Brembos. My Grand Sport had 6-piston Brembos too and, surprise surprise, occasional brake squeak and copious amounts of dust. I switched to the Carbotech 1521 pads (Grand Sport) and that eliminated the squeak and brake dust while maintaining OEM bite. I understand that Carbotech makes pads for the RC F. If so might be a solid option OP if you don't mind paying their asking price.
Old 01-11-18, 07:10 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah, on the stock OEM normal pads from the factory, I was started squeaking in traffic. With the TSB done and the new pads installed, no sqeaking in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Bite isn't as good but sufficient for me...and not sure about the dust level being much lower but probably is...I just don't remember dusting level prior.