RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Abnormal sound - RCF

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 05:25 AM
ToyotaJon
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Abnormal sound - RCF

Hello all, I recently picked up a 2015 RCF and today I noticed an abnormal sound while driving (drives amazing btw). Apologies if this has already been posted on, I did a forum search but I only saw postings about the fuel pump buzz and corresponding ECU flash. I think this is different.

Basically, the sound (almost like something rattling in the dryer but really muffled) only appears once the engine is turned on and I've driven a bit with the AC on. If I turn off the AC while driving the sound goes away. Interestingly, the sound does not appear if I leave the engine off and only turn on the AC.

Appreciate any input. I plan on bringing it by the dealer but just curious to see if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 11-30-17, 05:49 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Engine on, turn the AC on cool and pop the hood. Use a light and observe the belt at the alternator and AC compresor. Watch the belt tensioner looking for abrupt movement.

You can also use a long screwdriver (safely placed on static objects) and listen for the source by placing it to your ear and moving it about. A wood dowel or stethoscope work too.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2013FSport:
JT2MA71 (11-30-17), ToyotaJon (11-30-17)
Old 11-30-17, 11:14 AM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Could be your a/c compressor or clutch. When the a/c is off, the pulley rotates freely, but when turned on, the clutch engages and the pulley drives the compressor.

The noise you described as something rattling in a dryer is probably related to the clutch being engaged with the pulley or something loose/wearing in the compressor.
Old 11-30-17, 07:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Phinatic
Could be your a/c compressor or clutch. When the a/c is off, the pulley rotates freely, but when turned on, the clutch engages and the pulley drives the compressor.

The noise you described as something rattling in a dryer is probably related to the clutch being engaged with the pulley or something loose/wearing in the compressor.
There is no clutch on the A/C. It literally never shuts off completely. It has a variable displacement compressor.
Old 12-02-17, 12:36 PM
ToyotaJon
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I couldn't duplicate the sound at the dealership but had it recorded it on my phone. Technician listened to it and stated that it's most likely the sound of coolant circulating and didn't think it was the AC compressor.

I guess we'll chalk this down to being worried over nothing
Old 12-04-17, 03:52 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Post a video perhaps?
Does the AC blow cold at 35°F?

A failed compressor sounds like marbles in a can. It will scare you to be next to it at rpm...

edit; Agreed it hardly ever shuts off, but it still has a clutch on it.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 12-04-17 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 07:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Post a video perhaps?
Does the AC blow cold at 35°F?

A failed compressor sounds like marbles in a can. It will scare you to be next to it at rpm...

edit; Agreed it hardly ever shuts off, but it still has a clutch on it.
You are mistaken, it does not have a clutch of any kind. No Lexus has for quite a long time.
Originally Posted by Techinfo(dot)Toyota(dot)com
COMPRESSOR

(a) General:
(1) The compressor is a continuously variable capacity type in which its capacity can be varied in accordance with the cooling load of the air conditioning system.
(2) The compressor consists of a pulley, shaft, lug plate, swash plate, piston, shoe, crank chamber, cylinder, solenoid valve with built-in crank chamber to suction passage (CS) valve, oil separator and variable suction side throttle.
(3) A solenoid valve is provided to enable the suction pressure to be controlled as desired.
(4) The crank chamber to suction passage (CS) valve, built into the solenoid valve, operates in accordance with the suction pressure.
(5) The oil separator is installed in the refrigerant passage to separate compressor oil from the refrigerant that is discharged. This helps to prevent the compressor oil from flowing into the air conditioning system and reducing cooling effectiveness.

(b) Solenoid Valve Operation:
(1) The crank chamber is connected to the suction passage. A solenoid valve is provided between the suction passage (low pressure) and the discharge passage (high pressure).
(2) The solenoid valve operates under duty cycle control in accordance with the signals from the air conditioning amplifier assembly.
(3) When the solenoid valve closes (solenoid coil is energized), a difference in pressure is created and the pressure in the crank chamber decreases. Then, the pressure that is applied to the right side of the piston becomes greater than the pressure that is applied to the left side of the piston. This compresses the spring and tilts the swash plate. As a result, the piston stroke increases and the discharge capacity also increases.
(4) When the solenoid valve opens (solenoid coil is not energized), the difference in pressure disappears. Then, the pressure that is applied to the left side of the piston becomes the same as the pressure that is applied to the right side of the piston. Thus, the spring elongates and eliminates the tilt of the swash plate. As a result, there is no piston stroke, and the discharge capacity is reduced.
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (12-04-17)
Old 12-08-17, 07:24 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the correction Lance(?). Do you know what years this was implemented and does it go across all models?
Old 12-10-17, 12:57 AM
Suburbazin
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Thanks for the correction Lance(?). Do you know what years this was implemented and does it go across all models?
2007/8, should be most if not all Toyota models. Way more efficient.
Old 12-10-17, 07:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

My 2006 IS350 had one of these. That's where I first heard about it, but the technology is older than that as you will discover if you dig into it. I made the same bad assumption in 2007 right here on Club Lexus.