RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RS*R coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 01:44 PM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RS*R coilovers

Ok so I have a 2016 GSF and thinking about getting the RS R coilover and I wanted to know what you guys think that have them please let me know about the pros and cons. I haven't seen anybody with a GSF with the RS R coilover thats why Im asking you guys.

Last edited by 13FSPORT; 08-07-17 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 06:13 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 174 Likes on 95 Posts

Not sure if the available options that are available to the RCF will work on the GSF, but I'd contact Figs engineering and speak to Mike before going RSR. I had a set of RSR lowering springs and they would bottom out...ended up cutting a wiring harness and put me 400$ in the hole. I went Penske coils myself, but if I had to redo it I'd likely go to Mike and get the Ohlins. The Penske's have the typical coil over sound in the rear as the Ohlins do not. There are new springs that were just released for the Penske's to eliminate some of the sound ( which I just received but haven't installed yet).
The following users liked this post:
13FSPORT (08-09-17)
Old 08-09-17, 07:00 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Not sure if the available options that are available to the RCF will work on the GSF, but I'd contact Figs engineering and speak to Mike before going RSR. I had a set of RSR lowering springs and they would bottom out...ended up cutting a wiring harness and put me 400$ in the hole. I went Penske coils myself, but if I had to redo it I'd likely go to Mike and get the Ohlins. The Penske's have the typical coil over sound in the rear as the Ohlins do not. There are new springs that were just released for the Penske's to eliminate some of the sound ( which I just received but haven't installed yet).
Well, I surely am not a fan of the rear coil "sounds" but the penskes are awesome on the track due to zero rubber parts.
If not looking for a hardcore track set up, I think I would do the Fig's set up since it has rubber top mounts to reduce/eliminate the noise.
Although both the penskes and Ohlins are a bit higher cost than RSR i think.
13FSPORT (08-10-17)
Old 08-09-17, 08:14 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 13FSPORT
Ok so I have a 2016 GSF and thinking about getting the RS R coilover and I wanted to know what you guys think that have them please let me know about the pros and cons. I haven't seen anybody with a GSF with the RS R coilover thats why Im asking you guys.
Been using them for almost 3 years, I am happy with them.
13FSPORT (08-10-17)
Old 08-10-17, 12:17 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

very happy with mine too. they are noiseless, comfortable but you don't lose the sporty stiffness if you set it right. i really wish i didn't have to reuse the OEM rear upper portion but I'm guessing thats the reason why its quiet.
13FSPORT (08-10-17)
Old 08-10-17, 06:21 AM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You get what you pay for.

Oem will be least maintenance and silent in operation.

Once you go aftermarket you add a lot of untested variables so set your expectations with these considerations in mind. Noise. Complexity. Added cost.

Also be self critical who you get advice from. 99% of internet car guys are clueless and lazy and want to be heard. Keyboard diarrhea.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-17, 07:22 AM
13FSPORT
Lead Lap

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK

Once you go aftermarket you add a lot of untested variables so set your expectations with these considerations in mind. Noise. Complexity. Added cost.

Also be self critical who you get advice from. 99% of internet car guys are clueless and lazy and want to be heard. Keyboard diarrhea.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input there are not a lot of options out there for the GSF. I understand I get what I pay for but I'm sure that the Novel or the Tom's isn't any better then the RS*R by much at all.. I didn't see Ohilns or Penske list anything for the GSF I'm sure I can used the RCF kit.
Old 08-10-17, 11:43 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Thumbs up

I can personally attest that the TOMS Coilovers is 1st rate quality built...Got Pay To Play...No way around it for a quality built ride...

Originally Posted by 13FSPORT
Thanks for your input there are not a lot of options out there for the GSF. I understand I get what I pay for but I'm sure that the Novel or the Tom's isn't any better then the RS*R by much at all.. I didn't see Ohilns or Penske list anything for the GSF I'm sure I can used the RCF kit.
WHAT HE SAID, Below:

Originally Posted by ROK

Good luck.

Last edited by 16GSF00336; 08-10-17 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 10:55 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

i've had my RSR on for a year and 10k miles. Still holding up fine. I thought the 36 way adjustability was overkill, but you really can fine tune your setup. Fronts are easy to do, rears requires removing trunk trim. Adjusted about 4 times until I came up with current settings; 31 front, 22 rear. This is a little more stiffer than stock. Remember, rear springs are stiffer, even in stock form. No noise yet either. I've used RSR before for springs for my G35 and the quality was good. I am patiently waiting to see if Blistein will make a coilover for the F.
The following 2 users liked this post by Deanrcf:
13FSPORT (08-12-17), Carbon Exchange (08-14-17)