RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anybody else disable the PCS?

Old 05-04-17, 02:15 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Anybody else disable the PCS?

So does anybody else hate this feature? I finally decided to disable this thing because it seems to actually cause more harm than good, at least in my case.

I'll give you an example of what happened to me: an idiot cut me off on the highway. I was only doing about 50mph and the guy decided he didn't want to get off on the off-ramp and just switched back into the highway lane barely doing any speed and extremely close in front of me. I'm always aware of my surroundings and saw I had plenty of space to switch to my left lane since the closest car that was coming was far back enough for me to accelerate and go around the idiot that cut me off instead of hitting the hell out of the brakes and hope I didn't crash into the moron who at this point was probably doing maybe 15-20mph if that much and the car behind me not crashing into me... well, what happened? I came close enough to the guy cutting me off that the PCS went off thinking a crash was imminent and as I switched to my left lane, the car applied the brakes on its own and my gas pedal was completely unresponsive which would have caused the car coming behind me to crash into me now if I wouldn't have had as much space as I did because I was basically left with a dead car for a few seconds. I find this system "incompatible" with me because I like to think that I'm the one driving and in control, I'm the one responsible for the car, I'm the one paying attention on the road and if I try to avoid an accident and the car tries to avoid it by doing its thing at the same time, we would clash because I see the car's system as "trying to make the accident less harmful" whereas I'm going to try to avoid it completely.

I don't mind the audible alert when you are getting close to another vehicle but I completely hate the automatic braking... what's worse is that when I disable it, you get that stupid "PCS" light on all the time now and the other way to disable it is by driving on "expert mode" all the time which I don't want to either... so anyways, am I the only one that don't like this thing?
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 02:24 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Nope.
I'm in the same boat.
The same exact situation happened to me and freaked me the hell out.
As soon as I got home I turned it off immediately.

I'm a better driver than any computer out there (for now) and know when/how to apply my own brakes.
The only time I would consider turning it back on is for a 400+ mile road trip maybe at night.
I'm okay with seeing the PCS light if I get to have 100% control of my brakes.
BossMoss (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 02:44 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

don't like vehicle automation systems, my RCF doesn't have PCS and frankly I would never buy a vehicle that did have it..
Old 05-04-17, 06:58 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Saved me a few times. Big fan of it and my adaptive cruise.
Old 05-04-17, 09:36 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
So does anybody else hate this feature? I finally decided to disable this thing because it seems to actually cause more harm than good, at least in my case.

I'll give you an example of what happened to me: an idiot cut me off on the highway. I was only doing about 50mph and the guy decided he didn't want to get off on the off-ramp and just switched back into the highway lane barely doing any speed and extremely close in front of me. I'm always aware of my surroundings and saw I had plenty of space to switch to my left lane since the closest car that was coming was far back enough for me to accelerate and go around the idiot that cut me off instead of hitting the hell out of the brakes and hope I didn't crash into the moron who at this point was probably doing maybe 15-20mph if that much and the car behind me not crashing into me... well, what happened? I came close enough to the guy cutting me off that the PCS went off thinking a crash was imminent and as I switched to my left lane, the car applied the brakes on its own and my gas pedal was completely unresponsive which would have caused the car coming behind me to crash into me now if I wouldn't have had as much space as I did because I was basically left with a dead car for a few seconds. I find this system "incompatible" with me because I like to think that I'm the one driving and in control, I'm the one responsible for the car, I'm the one paying attention on the road and if I try to avoid an accident and the car tries to avoid it by doing its thing at the same time, we would clash because I see the car's system as "trying to make the accident less harmful" whereas I'm going to try to avoid it completely.

I don't mind the audible alert when you are getting close to another vehicle but I completely hate the automatic braking... what's worse is that when I disable it, you get that stupid "PCS" light on all the time now and the other way to disable it is by driving on "expert mode" all the time which I don't want to either... so anyways, am I the only one that don't like this thing?

I was in nearly the same situation, and I completely agree. The PCS nearly caused me to crash, when I was just fine without it. I hate the PCS!
Old 05-05-17, 06:59 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Is it any easy on off of the pcs? Does the manual.outline how to do it?
Old 05-05-17, 09:36 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
Is it any easy on off of the pcs? Does the manual.outline how to do it?
Oh it's extremely easy. There's an on/off button right under the steering wheel column. If you peak under it, you should see 2 buttons and one of them is the PCS (it's labeled). Click it and you should see on the dash board a PCS light come on and that's how you know it has been disable. Click it again to turn it back on, that simple. It's in the manual too if you want to look it up.
Old 05-05-17, 04:00 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't have PCS on my RCF.

But I have PCS on my 2013 LX570. But back in 2013 on the LX570 it was only "partial" PCS. Meaning the PCS only engages when I engage the RADAR cruise control. Also as soon as I hit the brakes while the RADAR cruise control/PCS is engaged, the whole PCS thing disengages. If while the RADAR cruise control/PCS is engaged and I rapidly come up to anything, the PCS will brake and depending on speed it may brake hard. Then when my LX570 comes to something like 20 mph, the PCS will start beeping and the PCS will then disengages. Meaning the PCS WILL NOT bring my LX570 to a complete stop. So if I don't engage the RADAR cruise control, the PCS NEVER engages.

I think the above way is better versus what the FULL PCS setup as in the newer RCF?

Originally Posted by Slash300zx

Old 05-05-17, 10:28 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I didn't know the RC could have PCS.

I'm not a big fan of all these automated systems.
Old 05-06-17, 08:10 AM
scottiej
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are talking about the radar cruise control. You can disable that. When you turn on the cruise control, push the cruise control stalk forward and hold it there. You'll see the graphic change on the dash and you will be in regular cruise control mode. Unfortunately, I've never found a way to have the cruise control system default to 'normal', it always starts with the radar activated. Hope this helps.
Kramer (05-08-17)
Old 05-06-17, 09:36 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottiej
I think you are talking about the radar cruise control. You can disable that. When you turn on the cruise control, push the cruise control stalk forward and hold it there. You'll see the graphic change on the dash and you will be in regular cruise control mode. Unfortunately, I've never found a way to have the cruise control system default to 'normal', it always starts with the radar activated. Hope this helps.
The radar cruise control I like... for long trips it's great. Now I have to check because I don't know if disabling the PCS will also disable the radar cruise control? Anybody know?
Old 05-06-17, 12:13 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

When engaging the cruise with a quick press of the stalk button
you will get the Radar Cruise. If you press the button longer
you will get "dumb" cruise with the old speedo w/arrow icon.
You can not go directly from Radar to non-radar, you must go
to "Off" and then press long to engage the regular version.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
BossMoss (05-06-17), Kramer (05-08-17)
Old 05-07-17, 11:45 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

But on the newer RCF with FULL PCS.......I think the FULL PCS is engaged UNTIL the button at the bottom of the steering wheel is deactivated. I don't have PCS on my RCF, but I have the "partial PCS" on my 2013 LX570. ON MY LX570 there are no buttons on the bottom of the steering wheel like the newer Lexus with "FULL PCS". So the PCS on my LX570 only engages when the RADAR CRUISE CONTROL engages. Otherwise the PCS takes a back seat and is sleeping on the job!!!

Originally Posted by mcomer
When engaging the cruise with a quick press of the stalk button
you will get the Radar Cruise. If you press the button longer
you will get "dumb" cruise with the old speedo w/arrow icon.
You can not go directly from Radar to non-radar, you must go
to "Off" and then press long to engage the regular version.
Kramer (05-08-17)
Old 05-08-17, 02:29 PM
Kramer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

I hate it too, I have also been in numerous situations where it has done more harm than good for me....I hate something else controlling my braking.....drives me up the wall!