RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Wheel lock key

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 11:34 AM
SRTISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wheel lock key

So some jackhat lost the key to the wheel locks. Does anyone know if this is something that Can be ordered online or am I going to have to get creative and remove and replace them?
Old 03-31-17, 11:38 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

go to the dealer, they should have the key # on file and be able to replace it for you, if it was purchased from Lexus with the vehicle new and is not aftermarket, then the key is coded to your VIN.

you will need to provide proof of ownership.

if you have to remove them, take my advice and do it this way, take the vehicle to a GOOD wheel shop, they will be able to weld a nut to it and remove it without damaging your wheels. I had to do that several years ago when I lost an aftermarket one.
Old 03-31-17, 03:15 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Check your manual folder to see if you have the info packet with the wheel lock info in it. You can order another key from the manufacturer, or like stated earlier...take it to the dealer.
Old 03-31-17, 04:15 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I ordered one for one for one of my Lexus vehicles. I had my tires replaced at an independent tire shop sometime ago and they forget to return the key back to me.

Order online was easy. Just needed the "key" numbers found on a "card" with the key info. This is among all the stuff sandwiched in between your owners manuals. Then just pay online and about two weeks later, it arrived.

Another option is that some Lexus dealerships (large ones) has a complete set of master keys (about 20, I believe) that can open ANY Lexus vehicles wheel locks.

Last resort, some shops can break it off and you will need a new one. Takes about 30 minutes and costs about$45.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by dchar
Check your manual folder to see if you have the info packet with the wheel lock info in it. You can order another key from the manufacturer, or like stated earlier...take it to the dealer.

Last edited by lexusrus; 03-31-17 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 05:01 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dumb question - What is the wheel lock key?
I bought my 15 RC F 2nd hand, so don't know if this is something I should have?
Have had aftermarket wheels put on since, would they have needed this wheel lock key?
Old 03-31-17, 05:04 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider21
Dumb question - What is the wheel lock key?
I bought my 15 RC F 2nd hand, so don't know if this is something I should have?
Have had aftermarket wheels put on since, would they have needed this wheel lock key?
wheel locks are an option, you may or may not have them.. check the wheels,. if you have a mismatched lug nut, check the storage tray under your trunk floor (where the air compressor is stored) and see if it is in there, there is a special snap in storage spot for it.
The following users liked this post:
Spider21 (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 05:10 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
wheel locks are an option, you may or may not have them.. check the wheels,. if you have a mismatched lug nut, check the storage tray under your trunk floor (where the air compressor is stored) and see if it is in there, there is a special snap in storage spot for it.
Ok, thanks.
I just noticed the pic showing the special nut in the OP, didn't see it before for some reason ?
My stock wheels didn't have wheel locks, just normal nuts.
Will still take a look in the special snap storage spot in the trunk though, in case anything is hiding in there.
Didn't know about this, thanks.
Old 03-31-17, 05:39 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

just take those locks off and buy a new set.
Old 04-01-17, 03:58 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Depending on the cost of breaking all 4 off (cost around $45 per wheel, depending on the shop) by the tire shop and order 4 new ones with the key. VERSUS (cost) and wait for two weeks for the newly ordered "key" to open all 4 locks (that us the originals came from the factory).

So if you can wait for two weeks and IF you have the "card" with the "numbers for the key" in order to order the new "KEY". I believe this option is cheaper versus paying the shop to break off all 4 locks and order a completely new set with a different new key.

If you don't have the "KEY CARD", then you can still check with the dealer and see if the dealer can retrieve the"key numbers" from factory database?

Good luck....

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
just take those locks off and buy a new set.
Old 04-01-17, 02:22 PM
SmurFPwr
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

look in your owners manual there should be a plastic bag with a card that has the wheel key info to order an extra
Old 04-01-17, 04:46 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

The Lexus dealer has a "master" lock key that can take yours off.
May be have them put regular lugs on for now?

Just order another lock key. It's like $25. Easy.
You can do it online if you have the original info (in the owners manual there's a card with the lock serial number).
Should be directions on that card on how to reorder.

No need to break it off or weld to it.
Old 04-01-17, 06:12 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, this is the best option. But depending on how far the OP is from the Lexus dealership? Also some of the "smaller" Lexus dealership​s don't have it since it costs around few hundred dollars. (I know it may seem a small drop in the bucket, but for a low volume dealer, it maybe cost effective to charge each occasional customer a fee to break the lock?)

As I stated above, if the OP does not have the "key card information" to order online, just go to the Lexus dealership and ask them if they can pull up the information for you to order online. But you will have to wait for two weeks.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Mingofish
The Lexus dealer has a "master" lock key that can take yours off.
May be have them put regular lugs on for now?

Just order another lock key. It's like $25. Easy.
You can do it online if you have the original info (in the owners manual there's a card with the lock serial number).
Should be directions on that card on how to reorder.

No need to break it off or weld to it.
Old 04-01-17, 10:14 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Depending on the cost of breaking all 4 off (cost around $45 per wheel, depending on the shop) by the tire shop and order 4 new ones with the key. VERSUS (cost) and wait for two weeks for the newly ordered "key" to open all 4 locks (that us the originals came from the factory).

So if you can wait for two weeks and IF you have the "card" with the "numbers for the key" in order to order the new "KEY". I believe this option is cheaper versus paying the shop to break off all 4 locks and order a completely new set with a different new key.

If you don't have the "KEY CARD", then you can still check with the dealer and see if the dealer can retrieve the"key numbers" from factory database?

Good luck....

​​​​​​
my discount tire breaks them off for free. its pretty easy. manager use to let me use his tool and do it myself. takes about 30 secs per wheel.