RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Front rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 05:21 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front rubbing

Does any of you who runs lower offsets (25mm-30MM) rub in the front on lowered springs? Any solutions on how to get rid of the rubbing on this tab on the fender liner besides running higher offsets and raising the suspension? Any help on solutions with pictures would greatly be appreciated..
Old 01-21-17, 05:45 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

if its rubbing only on that bolt, replace it with a push clip.

if its the actual fender liner, more work will need to be done.
Old 01-22-17, 01:56 PM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

If the RCF isn't fitted w/ custom offsets 33+ up front and nothing wider than 255s on 9s, I'd wager big money that they all rub so you're not alone. 9.9 out of 10 RCFs run wheels/tires that don't fit. Many go cheap or go ignorant without taking the time to do the proper research. I don't blame them. You see a lot of less of this in M and 911 forums because they have sold a lot more of them for a lot longer so the vendor ecosystem is much healthier.
Old 01-22-17, 02:29 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
if its rubbing only on that bolt, replace it with a push clip.

if its the actual fender liner, more work will need to be done.

I've put flush push clips on it now. It still have a slight rub but better it scraping the clip then the bolt that was on it and ruining the fender. Thanks..
Old 01-22-17, 02:42 PM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CYKBC
If the RCF isn't fitted w/ custom offsets 33+ up front and nothing wider than 255s on 9s, I'd wager big money that they all rub so you're not alone. 9.9 out of 10 RCFs run wheels/tires that don't fit. Many go cheap or go ignorant without taking the time to do the proper research. I don't blame them. You see a lot of less of this in M and 911 forums because they have sold a lot more of them for a lot longer so the vendor ecosystem is much healthier.
Im just test fitting right now. I'm just glad I didn't special order the new wheels in +25 et yet😅. I guess I'll stick with 35+ ET when I decide on the wheels I want. I'm going by what I've seen here on the forums. 20mm FR and 15mm R spacers on stock wheels. I'll try 15mm FR and see if It still rubs. I don't plan on fabricating the car to fit the offsets of the wheels. 😉

Thanks
Old 01-22-17, 02:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

well here is the thing. if you have 255 PSS tires on on oem front 19x9 tires, the wheels are a bit square. you will rub because of that. if you slap that exact tire on a 9.5 rim, it stretches the tires a bit. it definitely stretches that PSS a good amount and that will make it stop rubbing. i have pics of how much the 255/35 PSS.

basically what I'm saying is wider wheels with the same oem tires will stretch it depending how wider you go and that itself will make you clear even with the same or more aggressive offset that you tried to do with the oem wheels/tires and spacers.
Old 01-22-17, 03:17 PM
JT2MA71
Forum Moderator

Received 1,595 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
well here is the thing. if you have 255 PSS tires on on oem front 19x9 tires, the wheels are a bit square. you will rub because of that. if you slap that exact tire on a 9.5 rim, it stretches the tires a bit. it definitely stretches that PSS a good amount and that will make it stop rubbing. i have pics of how much the 255/35 PSS.

basically what I'm saying is wider wheels with the same oem tires will stretch it depending how wider you go and that itself will make you clear even with the same or more aggressive offset that you tried to do with the oem wheels/tires and spacers.
This ^
I am running stock size fronts on 9.5 with 42-45 offset, don't remember exactly. Lowered on coilovers, not really low though. No rubbing.
Old 01-23-17, 09:02 AM
8901alex
Driver

I just change my wheels to 20 and hopefully I don't rub anywhere 20x9 20x10.5 wheels and 255/30/20 and 285/30/20 good clearance I haven't drive the car yet so I'm not sure but according to the sales guy they told me I should have no rubbing any we're....
Old 01-28-17, 09:50 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got new wheels last week.
20 inch rims 9" wide with 25 offset on the front, (could have gone the safe choice of 35, but risked the extra 10 for looks).
Tyres are 255/30 on the front.

I was lightly rubbing even on small dips as I drove it home from the wheel and tyre shop and thought I'd made a mistake going for the 25 offset, even though all the feedback from those with similar set ups confirmed it would be ok and only run on deep dips at high speed.

Anyway, the culprit was that fender lining bolt shown in the OP and one removed, have not rubbed one single time with plenty of driving over speed bumps and bumpy suburban roads.

Even better is that I've only just inserted new plastic button clips where the removed fender bolt was, which pulled the fender lining up an extra 1/4 inch, providing even more essential clearance for the tyre.
The way I got this extra clearance was by bending the metal tab up a little which used to hold the original bolt.
this makes the hole in plastic fender lining and metal tab slightly offset, so I had to trim down the plastic button clip so it would go through all 3 holes to work, but now it dos and has got me the extra clearance which is great.
should definitely be no rubbing at all now unless I hit a huge dip.
Even better

Last edited by Spider21; 01-28-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-28-17, 09:52 PM
Spider21
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 8901alex
I just change my wheels to 20 and hopefully I don't rub anywhere 20x9 20x10.5 wheels and 255/30/20 and 285/30/20 good clearance I haven't drive the car yet so I'm not sure but according to the sales guy they told me I should have no rubbing any we're....
I got the exact same wheel and tyre sizes as you, fitted last week.
25 offset in front and 30 offset in rear.

Zero rubbing based on my previous post.

​​​​​​​What offsets did you get?
Old 01-29-17, 04:47 AM
kaimikazee
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for the update..😊

Originally Posted by Spider21
I got new wheels last week.
20 inch rims 9" wide with 25 offset on the front, (could have gone the safe choice of 35, but risked the extra 10 for looks).
Tyres are 255/30 on the front.

I was lightly rubbing even on small dips as I drove it home from the wheel and tyre shop and thought I'd made a mistake going for the 25 offset, even though all the feedback from those with similar set ups confirmed it would be ok and only run on deep dips at high speed.

Anyway, the culprit was that fender lining bolt shown in the OP and one removed, have not rubbed one single time with plenty of driving over speed bumps and bumpy suburban roads.

Even better is that I've only just inserted new plastic button clips where the removed fender bolt was, which pulled the fender lining up an extra 1/4 inch, providing even more essential clearance for the tyre.
The way I got this extra clearance was by bending the metal tab up a little which used to hold the original bolt.
this makes the hole in plastic fender lining and metal tab slightly offset, so I had to trim down the plastic button clip so it would go through all 3 holes to work, but now it dos and has got me the extra clearance which is great.
should definitely be no rubbing at all now unless I hit a huge dip.
Even better

Its great to hear on your wheel update. Thanks for the solution on the liner Spider21...👍
Old 03-11-19, 03:18 PM
Tazz786
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i slightly raised mine and hardened the stiffness a click in the front springs (CKS coilovers) and it seems to have done the trick. It was only rubbing when Id be going super fast and then slammed the brakes so under extreme braking conditions. But the adjustment fixed it.