RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Get Your RCF ECU Flashed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 09:17 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
Mine was flashed right away. The 2ng gear hesitation I thought I had is not the sluggish throttle response that others were complaining about. In manual shift in 2nd gear I would feel what I thought was a slight hesitation between 1500-2200 rpm. Come to find out, that in the RCF this transmission has 100% lock up from 2nd - 8th gear and what I was feeling was they torque converter locking up. It's only i manual mode and only noticeable is you slowly accelerate in 2nd from 1500rpm why gradually increasing speed. The road needs to be smooth or it will be be disguised as any small bump in the road. After I was told this by the dealership (they also confirmed this with Lexus CA) I found this website that explained it.

http://autonationdrive.com/top-10-th...15-lexus-rc-f/
NICE find, Not sure where the RCF's START @62K though, wish i'd known where it was when i got mine!
Old 09-22-16, 09:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't think they will give you any definitive yes answer on the phone. On the phone you will probably only get some BS.

But in person you can be more assertive and will not take no for answer. If the service adviser won't do it, take it one notch higher to the GM. If the service adviser is smart, he will just go ahead and DO the TSB. I mean the dealership gets paid and the customer is happy. A WIN WIN FOR ALL!!

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I'd have to go 100 miles to my dealer, i guess i'd be better off calling them first but when i tell them about this NOISE, what is it supposed to sound like. Then again, i'd be worried if i drove over there & they test drove it first & didn't hear this so-called Noise & then they'd say we don't see or hear any issues & Not do it!
Old 09-23-16, 05:05 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurFPwr
Mine was flashed right away. The 2ng gear hesitation I thought I had is not the sluggish throttle response that others were complaining about. In manual shift in 2nd gear I would feel what I thought was a slight hesitation between 1500-2200 rpm. Come to find out, that in the RCF this transmission has 100% lock up from 2nd - 8th gear and what I was feeling was they torque converter locking up. It's only i manual mode and only noticeable is you slowly accelerate in 2nd from 1500rpm why gradually increasing speed. The road needs to be smooth or it will be be disguised as any small bump in the road. After I was told this by the dealership (they also confirmed this with Lexus CA) I found this website that explained it.

http://autonationdrive.com/top-10-th...15-lexus-rc-f/
I have said since March of last year that the hesitation seemed to be transmission and that a remap of the tranny would easily solve that issue.

That said, I am not sure I understand this statement in the linked article:

"That makes the upshifts much quicker since the transmission’s throttle blipping control matches the engine speed to the gear."

Blipping on the upshifts??? Blipping and rev matching occurs on the downshift to replicate a heel toe so as not to unsettle a car in high performance driving during abrupt braking or slowing. I have never heard blipping the upshift. I suppose this is something akin to the double-clutch reference on the upshift used in the original Fast & Furious movie. Lol, yep I always blip the throttle and double clutch my upshifts to get the most speed out of my cars . . .
Old 09-23-16, 01:01 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHII
Lol, yep I always blip the throttle and double clutch my upshifts to get the most speed out of my cars . . .
​You're getting too technical for me. I'm just a simple manual shifting guy who has never had paddle-shifters before now. So does that mean I have to double tap my paddles to double clutch it while giving the throttle a love tap?
Old 09-23-16, 03:10 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Davew77
​You're getting too technical for me. I'm just a simple manual shifting guy who has never had paddle-shifters before now. So does that mean I have to double tap my paddles to double clutch it while giving the throttle a love tap?
Lol, no. I don't think that guy in that article has a clue what he is talking about, but doing what you said makes about as much sense as blipping throttle to match revs on an upshift.

Last edited by DougHII; 09-23-16 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-23-16, 04:31 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Lol, no. I don't think that guy in that article has a clue what he is talking about, but doing what you said makes about as much sense as blipping throttle to match revs on an upshift.
Ya'll are ALL Blippin' Crazy, i Don't have a CLUE what ya'll are even talkin' bout!
Old 09-23-16, 05:01 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Rev matching is important.
Old 09-23-16, 05:44 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Rev matching is important.
On the downshift, it is vital to keep car settled on the track, but nothing blips (person or fancy auto manuals) on the upshift. Lol, you blip on downshift to raise rpms up to match the rpms of the gear you down shift to.

Dude in article is implying that you blip throttle to raise rpms to match revs on upshift, but the revs drop on the upshift. . . . Also, not sure how you blip throttle/raise rpms when you are upshiftung at red line. Kinda makes everything of a technical nature dude says in article suspect.
Old 09-23-16, 06:07 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

On the downshift, it is vital to keep car settled on the track, but nothing blips (person or fancy auto manuals) on the upshift. Lol, you blip on downshift to raise rpms up to match the rpms of the gear you down shift to.

Dude in article is implying that you blip throttle to raise rpms to match revs on upshift, but the revs drop on the upshift. . . . Also, not sure how you blip throttle/raise rpms when you are upshiftung at red line. Kinda makes everything of a technical nature dude says in article suspect.
I know.

I was making a poor attempt at forum humor. I purposely downshift a lot though. I use engine braking. I only try to rev match if I'm worried about traction though. (Like you already said)
Old 09-23-16, 06:14 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

I know.

I was making a poor attempt at forum humor. I purposely downshift a lot though. I use engine braking. I only try to rev match if I'm worried about traction though. (Like you already said)
Oh man . . . I kind of thought you were . . . sorry.
Old 09-23-16, 07:28 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I purposely downshift a lot though. I use engine braking.
Brake pads and rotors are a much cheaper replace $ than they wear you are putting on your engine and transmission. Just Sayin'.

Lou
Old 09-23-16, 08:02 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL😊😀😃😄

Whatever the RCF is doing on up shift and down shift on manual mode is music to my ears!!!

Old 09-23-16, 08:29 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
Brake pads and rotors are a much cheaper replace $ than they wear you are putting on your engine and transmission. Just Sayin'.

Lou
If that is true then every time you let off of your gas you are wearing your engine then. That's all engine braking is. I'm not talking about dropping it to 2nd gear at 80 mph and watching the tach bounce off of the limiter.

In any case, the engine and transmission are surely getting more wear from the hard acceleration I do almost every time I accelerate. But I'm sure the car will last until at least 100k miles, even after I boost it. Beyond that I don't care because I'll not likely be the owner anymore.

I've been engine braking since I started driving and I've not ever had anything fail because of it. I'm not saying that it can't happen. I'm saying that I've not ever had it happen.

Edit: I forgot to add that Lexus already has engine braking programmed into the RC F. Every time I use the brakes the transmission automatically downshifts and it doesn't rev match... at least in Sport+ mode, which is all that I use.

Last edited by Davew77; 09-27-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 07:17 PM
CoolCanuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am disappointed to report back that my dealer wasn't able to reflash my ECU due to the TSB only being for US cars. Anyone in Canada found a way around this?

I was so looking forward to it. They will do it as soon as it is available.
Old 09-27-16, 08:07 PM
USBGSF16
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoolCanuck
Well I am disappointed to report back that my dealer wasn't able to reflash my ECU due to the TSB only being for US cars. Anyone in Canada found a way around this?

I was so looking forward to it. They will do it as soon as it is available.
You can get a ecu flash by rr racing, their tune has TSB including, only 400$

Quick Reply: Get Your RCF ECU Flashed!