RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Looked at a GS F...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 04:40 PM
asinow
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Looked at a GS F...

Last week while in FL, I looked at the GS F. Nice car. $87,400 MSRP. For the heck of it I asked the sales guy to appraise my '15 RCF, ML, red interior, you know the rest, a nice setup. 6k miles. I said make it worth my while and well maybe.

Result:

I'm still in mine.

Offer:

His GSF, $87,400
My RCF, $51,000

He couldn't explain why my F was only worth $51 to them and why his F was worth full retail.

Here's another comment from him. "Lexus is limiting the production of the GSF to insure high demand since the RCF sales were not what they predicted".

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience.

Last edited by asinow; 02-24-16 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-23-16, 06:45 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for sharing. No surprises...
Old 02-23-16, 06:56 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by asinow
Last week while in FL, I looked at the GS F. Nice car. $87,400 MSRP. For the heck of it I asked the sales guy to appraise my '15 RCF, ML, red interior, you know the rest, a nice setup. 6k miles. I said make it worth my while and well maybe.

Result:

I'm still in mine.

Offer:

His GSF, $87,400
My RCF, $51,000

He couldn't explain why my F was only worth $51 to them and why his F was worth full retail.

Here's another comment from him. "Lexus is liminiting the production of the GSF to insure high demand since the RCF sales were not what they predicted".

That's rough. Something tells me the GS F is going to fare even worse than the RC F. I don't think those will move at all. I would definitely go CLS, 650 Gran Coupe, S7 before GS F at that price.
Old 02-23-16, 08:49 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by asinow

Result:

I'm still in mine.

Offer:

His GSF, $87,400
My RCF, $51,000

Here's another comment from him. "Lexus is liminiting the production of the GSF to insure high demand since the RCF sales were not what they predicted".

Supply and demand, the market will dictate that. The GS-F aren't so limited as every dealership has at least a couple. If no one is buying they will have to bring the price down. It's like the ELR. they were 80K+ and sold for under 50K. The only thing dealers have going for them with the GS-F is that the 2017 are still far away, so they still have a shot at selling them at retail ...
Old 02-23-16, 09:02 PM
kdphan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wait until the summer/autumn and dealers will want to get rid of GS F for mid 70's
Old 02-23-16, 09:23 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most GS were sold with huge rebates .... Granted if those GSF are all built for the whole production year of 2016 dealers will be sitting around with inventory for the whole year like most RCFs were
Old 02-24-16, 05:29 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by da mayor
Most GS were sold with huge rebates .... Granted if those GSF are all built for the whole production year of 2016 dealers will be sitting around with inventory for the whole year like most RCFs were
Lexus' entry into this new market segment will not happen overnight and will meet some resistance. German car owner are very loyal. I hated Lexus and thought their cars were ugly granny looking cars prior to the new body styles. In fact, I never even considered looking at Lexus when my wife wanted a new small sedan to make long trip between here and Florida. We looked at and drove every brand but Lexus including Volvo as I had even mentally placed Lexus behind Volvo in late 2014 in terms of aesthetics. We were about purchase a Mercedes or another Bimmer when Ionky accidentally saw the new IS body style and was blown away by it. I loved the new F-grill.

Lexus is obviously trying to appeal to a younger generation and cars like the RCF and GSF are targeting a smaller and limited performance market that never previously considered Lexus as an option. I was willing to take the plunge as I loved the look of the RCF and needed a larger back seat than 911 turbos offered while my 4 year old is still in a child safety seat.

I think the younger and sports oriented market will eventually start considering these F type cars as an option. It won't be overnight and people are not going to run out and end their current leases mid-term or sell newer cars that are still upside down just to make the Lexus plunge.

I do think the RCF does have the potential to build a following over time. I, however, cannot see the GSF at its current price ever being remotely successful. The performance sedan market is smaller and much more fickle than the performance couoe market. These buyers will continue to opt and oay a little extra for the true high end status symbol sedans. They won't switch for a GSF with only 467 hp and the GSF is too expensive for the average GS buyer that might would consider a higher performance Lexus or Japenese sedan.

Last edited by DougHII; 02-24-16 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 08:28 AM
mrpc12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"only 467 hp" - seems so funny to say, but true.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (11-17-17)
Old 02-25-16, 04:35 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by kdphan
just wait until the summer/autumn and dealers will want to get rid of GS F for mid 70's
I wouldn't even pay that, i just don't get the love for them
Old 02-25-16, 06:16 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I wouldn't even pay that, i just don't get the love for them
I've been in love with the GS since 1998. "Something wicked this way comes". Back then...300hp and 0-60 in 5.9 secs made it the quickest production sedan in the world. Only thing faster was the AMG Hammer...before AMG was a part of Mercedes Benz.

Lexus followed the 2nd gen GS up with...the same V8 engine. Before just getting rid of it for the V6 that they've in damn near every model for the last 10 yrs. They never really capitalized on the world beating performance that made a LOT of us Lexus fans in the beginning.

The 4th gen GS has an all-world chassis put still plods along with that weak *** V6. So when rumors of a true F model came true...we got excited. Only to be doused with the reality that it's damn near the same engine from 2008.

I want to love the GSF. And...at $65k...I probably would. But not at damn near $90k. Not 100hp down from the competition. I just want Lexus to stop DABBLING in the performance market and show the hell off!!! Like they did in 1998. Like they tried to do in 2008.

The RCF and GSF are not their best examples of what they can do. And that's frustrating as hell...
Old 02-26-16, 07:56 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Wish they would have stuck a V10 in the GS-F. Would have been such a badass car.
Old 02-26-16, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
I've been in love with the GS since 1998. "Something wicked this way comes". Back then...300hp and 0-60 in 5.9 secs made it the quickest production sedan in the world. Only thing faster was the AMG Hammer...before AMG was a part of Mercedes Benz.

Lexus followed the 2nd gen GS up with...the same V8 engine. Before just getting rid of it for the V6 that they've in damn near every model for the last 10 yrs. They never really capitalized on the world beating performance that made a LOT of us Lexus fans in the beginning.

The 4th gen GS has an all-world chassis put still plods along with that weak *** V6. So when rumors of a true F model came true...we got excited. Only to be doused with the reality that it's damn near the same engine from 2008.

I want to love the GSF. And...at $65k...I probably would. But not at damn near $90k. Not 100hp down from the competition. I just want Lexus to stop DABBLING in the performance market and show the hell off!!! Like they did in 1998. Like they tried to do in 2008.

The RCF and GSF are not their best examples of what they can do. And that's frustrating as hell...
gosh you and i go way back man!
Old 02-27-16, 02:06 PM
PMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I think the GS F may end up doing better than the RC F in the long run. Having looked at both, and the competition, the GS F seems to be the more competitive one considering price and performance.

The way I look at it, the RC F is in M4 territory. Base prices are close, similar in size, both are coupes, etc. Performance wise, the M4 wins IMO. Its lighter and the torque with the turbos is amazing.

The GS F is a bit more $ than a 550 M sport, but you get slightly more HP, better sound, and a ~300lb weight advantage. Its been a while since I drove a 550, but honestly I think the GS F would win in match-ups that involve handling.

Also, between the GS F and RC F, I think the GS F has more to offer. Its more practical, way roomier, I prefer the interior, and is only slightly heavier. Obviously some will want a coupe no matter what, but for me the GS F is worth the extra $.

Basically I think the GS F is more likely to attract a BMW buyer than the RC F. I know the knee jerk reaction is to compare the GS F to a M5 or M6GC, but those cars are way more expensive and the powertrain in them is from a different planet.

I would still rather have either Lexus though, cause my 335 has been a nightmare and I will never buy another BMW.
Old 02-27-16, 03:13 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I test drove the RCF last night and was very disappointed. I sat in the GSF and loved the interior. I also loved the exterior in black, it is such a beautifully made car. For about 70k it would be worth it. But the RCF .... Just didn't do anything for me
Old 02-27-16, 03:13 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PMan

Basically I think the GS F is more likely to attract a BMW buyer than the RC F. I know the knee jerk reaction is to compare the GS F to a M5 or M6GC, but those cars are way more expensive and the powertrain in them is from a different planet.
I don't completely agree. These type cars are not selling in general and Toyota made too much.. I was offered 90k for a 2014 new m6GC, and they have 3 on the lot. So these type buyers are not buying currently. Between the GSF the 2014 m6 for around the same price, it's m6 all day for me

Last edited by ssmoked; 02-27-16 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Looked at a GS F...