RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 07:28 AM
Gregster1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, all done! No time for a road test yet
Old 04-13-16, 07:42 PM
fm2011
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I understand correctly, only plug and play the connector, apply current to the unit and position the button in the switch blanks area? No need to program or reprogram the unit when installed?
Old 04-13-16, 07:52 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by IMCHIA
I'm really consider getting this. Are people happy with this mod?
I was skeptical from what some of the other guys were saying, but it makes a BIG Difference I Love it & like someone else said i keep mine on the Red Mode 95% & if i want to cruise i put it in the Purple Mode the other 5%. If you're not careful & paying attention when you leave a red lite (supposing you have it in Sport+ & the Nannies off) it will get sideways on you quick
Old 04-13-16, 10:42 PM
Gregster1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fm2011
So if I understand correctly, only plug and play the connector, apply current to the unit and position the button in the switch blanks area? No need to program or reprogram the unit when installed?
Yep, disconnect wiring to the accelerator pedal, tee in the vehicle specific harness between the removed connector and the pedal and the A'pexi unit then connect and mount the switch. You then initialize the unit to show closed vs. fully depressed throttle position - 5 seconds work.
Old 05-28-16, 06:19 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster1
Yep, disconnect wiring to the accelerator pedal, tee in the vehicle specific harness between the removed connector and the pedal and the A'pexi unit then connect and mount the switch. You then initialize the unit to show closed vs. fully depressed throttle position - 5 seconds work.
I just ordered mine. Hoping I can install it myself. Is this something your average know how person can do? Any advice ?
Old 05-28-16, 11:14 PM
Gregster1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yooniverse
I just ordered mine. Hoping I can install it myself. Is this something your average know how person can do? Any advice ?
It's an absolute breeze. Hardest bit is getting to the connector on the throttle pedal as access is tight. I used a flat tip screwdriver to help pop it off. It's just deciding where to put the switch after that, if you want to use one of the blanks you'll need to use a dremmel to make a hole and channel for the cable and stick the switch to the blank.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-16, 01:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I was skeptical from what some of the other guys were saying, but it makes a BIG Difference I Love it & like someone else said i keep mine on the Red Mode 95% & if i want to cruise i put it in the Purple Mode the other 5%. If you're not careful & paying attention when you leave a red lite (supposing you have it in Sport+ & the Nannies off) it will get sideways on you quick
Does the Apexi controller override the RCF's Drive mode selections in terms of throttle response or compliment it?

For example, say I have the Apexi in Red (Hi-throttle mode) and set the F's dial to "Sport S+", will the throttle response be at the highest possible response, then switching to Normal will be a little softer, then softer again in Eco? Or does the Apexi simply override all throttle mappings and the F's dial selector simply adjusts the other electronic nannies (steering, traction, tranny)?
Old 05-29-16, 08:37 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Does the Apexi controller override the RCF's Drive mode selections in terms of throttle response or compliment it?

For example, say I have the Apexi in Red (Hi-throttle mode) and set the F's dial to "Sport S+", will the throttle response be at the highest possible response, then switching to Normal will be a little softer, then softer again in Eco? Or does the Apexi simply override all throttle mappings and the F's dial selector simply adjusts the other electronic nannies (steering, traction, tranny)?
Yes the two work independently of each other, so the Apexi system complements the Lexus drive modes. In red and Sport + you will have the most aggressive driving mode. In red and Normal for example it will be a little smoother and softer. When I want to take it easy I put it in Sport mode and purple.
Old 05-29-16, 08:56 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Would love to order this.

Does anyone have install pics they'd like to share?
Old 05-29-16, 10:18 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Thanks TruPlaya26. This is tempting since the OEM throttle input is soft even in Sport S+. But maybe not getting the Apexi accelerator is a good thing to save me from burning rubber and speeding tickets!
Old 05-29-16, 02:11 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster1
It's an absolute breeze. Hardest bit is getting to the connector on the throttle pedal as access is tight. I used a flat tip screwdriver to help pop it off. It's just deciding where to put the switch after that, if you want to use one of the blanks you'll need to use a dremmel to make a hole and channel for the cable and stick the switch to the blank.

Good luck!
Thanks Gregster for the info...
Old 05-29-16, 03:28 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt

I don't remember who did it but just use the Search feature on here & it should come up. It has Pics & the complete works. I'm telling you it made a Huge difference in the response of mine ( though it doesn't add any more HP). But, i've been sitting at a red lite & wasn't really paying attention & took off when the lite turned green & it very Easily spun the tires & got a lil' squirrely (& i wasn't even meaning to) it's VERY Sensitive. I paid $200 for Everything (controller & harness) on Amazon + FREE Shipping, check around you mite be able to get a better price but that was the Cheapest i found Anywhere at the time. GL & let us know what you think after you install it
Old 05-31-16, 11:55 AM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt

This might help:

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Apexi Throttle Controller installed

My buddy rmsimmonsj was having his Apexi exhaust system installed last week and recommended this product to me after having one on his former RC F-Sport and now current RCF.

I was hesitant at first but glad I purchased one. The install is pretty straight forward and should take you about 15 minutes to an hour depending on how big your hands are and where you mount the control switch.

Find the connector at the top of your gas pedal:

Disconnecting this connector was the hardest part due to its awkward location under the dash:

I pulled off the side panel and routed the wire through the dash. I also unclipped one of the empty spots next to the BSM button and replaced it with the Apexi control switch for a nice clean factory look:

I'm still messing around with the 7 different functions but the only mode that I like (and the reason why I purchased it) is the red Hi Throttle mode. Overall I am pretty happy with this mod. It really woke the car up in the lower gears and the throttle response is MUCH quicker.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...-thread-4.html
Old 05-31-16, 07:36 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks FR500!

Search doesn't work well on mobile, besides this thread should have been merged.
Old 06-03-16, 05:05 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

On EBay, I found the Apexi Accel controller and harness at a cheap price of ~$160 (USD) shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APEXi-Smart-...ZWxt0B&vxp=mtr

The Part # is an exact match (controller 410-A001 and harness 417-A021) for the RC F but listed for a Toyota Vitz (Yaris). These exact two part #s are also the same stated for many other Lexus/Toyota models as per Apexi USA:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/index...ota-yaris.html

Ebay seller could not confirm it would work on the RC F. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: APEXi Smart Accel Controller: Weigh-In If Installed (Merged Threads)