RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs M4

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 08:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

to be fair the RCF seats arent leather they are the nuluxe stuff, which I think is superior to real leather anyways and wouldnt bother with the $800 option. Real leather is too slippery, scratches and wrinkles easily.

hypothetically if you could get performance package on a base RCF without premium its still a similar price to the M with DCT.
Old 09-15-14, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Are they NuLuxe? I thought the RC-F seats were leather.

FWIW, the base seats on the M4 are mostly cloth.
Old 09-15-14, 08:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
On a BMW...yeah it is.

Your build M4 is far less equipped than a comparable $80k (read...FULLY loaded) RC-F. This has long been an issue comparing BMW models to Lexus models. People say they're cheaper or similarly priced to a comparable Lexus model, but when you really equip them similarly they're much more.

Just compare a base $62k RC-F to a base $63k or whatever M4...the M4 doesn't even have leather seats.
You are 100% wrong.

M4 has much more standard at 64k than RC-F at 62k.
Please visit www.bmwusa.com.

Again STANDARD Features on M4 at 64k:
- All CF Parts - Roof, Trunk, Driveshaft, Front STB
- Interior CF trim
- Navigation
- Active M Differential

All of the above are OPTIONAL on RC-F....
Old 09-15-14, 09:14 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost of ownership, I see Lexus beating BMW by a fair margin. I know its not what most of us really care about but we need to take that into account. Reliability is kinda important to me and that's why you will never see me own a BMW. At the moment BMW cant hold a candle to Lexus.

Might lease one though
Old 09-15-14, 09:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You are 100% wrong.

- Interior CF trim
- Navigation
- Active M Differential

Well then I suppose you should buy a BMW and post on their forum.
Old 09-15-14, 09:56 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
I like the RC-F but im gonna point out things where I see Lexus is not being competitive.
It looks like u dont really know much about these 2 cars in terms of pricing/options etc.
Instead of admitting u were wrong about the standard features of M4, u tell me not to post anymore?? Very nice - I have been posting on CL since 2002 and have no plans to leave but thanks for ur suggestion....

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-15-14 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 09:57 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vapid2323
Cost of ownership, I see Lexus beating BMW by a fair margin. I know its not what most of us really care about but we need to take that into account. Reliability is kinda important to me and that's why you will never see me own a BMW. At the moment BMW cant hold a candle to Lexus.

Might lease one though
Trust me: BMW is cringing with the release of the new F. Bimmers not only have TERRIBLE reliability up and down the line, but they have been bleeding market share to Lexus for some time now.

Folks forking over $80,000-$85,000 in this class expect to have a car that can be pushed without be damaged as you go for the "ultimate driving experience."

The ISF has been an awesome driving experience for me--one of the best in my life. BMW and I fought like cats and dogs to get warranty items done...unacceptable in my book.
Old 09-15-14, 10:25 AM
lantu0312
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by natnut
According to this review, RC-F > M4 > C63 AMG > RS5 :

http://youtu.be/TUn9teZTXWQ
Nice video!
Old 09-15-14, 10:27 AM
lantu0312
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Furge
The RCF beats the M4 on Reliabilty. Sadly, that's it.
Technology - M4 (carbon fiber parts, huge performance and great effeciency, HUD, and more)
Looks - I vastly prefer the M, but it's subjective
Interior - M.
Manual trans - M
Practicality - M, folding rear seats, sunshades
Performance - M

I'm a Lexus Fun. I really like the RCF but M4 has some advantages in new Technology and Performance.
Old 09-15-14, 10:28 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

You are 100% wrong.

- Interior CF trim
- Navigation
- Active M Differential

M only significantly beats the RCF price if you want a stripper model which is a really lowsy way to order any luxury car. BMW beats RCF there since you cant get the CF and TVD without the premium package. Add premium and perf and yes the RCF is more but then the BMW is way behind in options and features. Elsewhere they are close in price. If all you care about is TVD and CF parts then the M is going to be cheaper because you have to spend 10k to get it on the RCF. But you get a lot more stuff with that 10k and when you match it with an M, its a wash on the price. If I wanted a stripped car I wouldn't even consider a luxury brand, I'd get a C7 Z51 vette.

Even if we consider a hypothetical build to build as close to a base M as possible

RCF $63325
Performance $5500 (hypothetical since it cant be had without premium package)
Navi $1760
$70585

M $65150
DCT $2900
LED Headlights $1900
19" wheels $1200
$71150

Essentially the same price. Both cars have navi, TVD, CF parts, 19" wheels. Should I add $4k to the price of the M to get back up camera and comfort access? Standard on RCF. I could add $280 cold weather package and $500 intuitive parking assist to even it out with the exec package but still no where near $4k. How much is the digital gauge cluster worth?

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-15-14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 10:29 AM
lantu0312
Driver School Candidate

Nice video, thanks!
Old 09-15-14, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

^
I like the RC-F
Come on...be real. I've watched you post for years. You're a BMW guy now and thats fine, but don't try and sell us on the idea that you're a Lexus enthusiast...I haven't seen you post anything that I would barely construe as being enthusiastic about the brand. All the posts I see deride Lexus while building BMW up.

It looks like u dont really know much about these 2 cars in terms of pricing/options etc.
Actually I do. We'll see how the packages lay out when the car actually becomes available. Lexus won't offer an RC-F without nav for instance, even though its "optional". Nav is optional on the GS too...whens the last time you saw one without nav? The $54k premium car is the de facto base GS.

I have never priced a BMW that when compared spec'ed similarly to a comparable Lexus model wasn't 10% or so more expensive. I expect the M4 to be the same way.

While I can give BMW the nod for including more weight saving CF features as standard, what I question is what benefit thats going to have to the typical road going buyer. Makes a big difference on a track, in the real world on a road? I wouldn't be so sure.
Old 09-15-14, 11:29 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

^
Please SEARCH my posts in regards to RC-F.
I have posted about it since Day 1 and have always preferred it over the M4 primarily because of the V8 and also bec i think it looks better. Reliability doesnt hurt either.

But im not gonna defend Lexus for delivering a product that offers less performance and features and on top of that costs more $$$$$.

Im far from BMW fanboy and actually my new purchase reflects that...
Old 09-15-14, 12:22 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^
Please SEARCH my posts in regards to RC-F.
I have posted about it since Day 1 and have always preferred it over the M4 primarily because of the V8 and also bec i think it looks better. Reliability doesnt hurt either.

But im not gonna defend Lexus for delivering a product that offers less performance and features and on top of that costs more $$$$$.

Im far from BMW fanboy and actually my new purchase reflects that...
and so...my comment is on performance.

How the heck can you say less performance when we have ZERO numbers on a production vehicle?

All that we know is that it is faster at 170 mph than the Bimmer 4.
Old 09-15-14, 09:24 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

i dont really see the point in another BMW vs Lexus slug fest. in the end people will prefer what the prefer and like what they like. both cars are going to do what they are going to do. performance and sales wise. the same as the ISF vs M3 countless debates. both cars had their pros, both had their cons.

the RCF vs M3/4 is going to be the same way

Quick Reply: RC F vs M4