RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs M4

Old 09-10-14, 07:38 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
The engine is perfect. Much more responsive and sonorous than the boring, bland and awful sounding twin turbo 6 in the M4, which has been criticized for lack of character. When the hardcore bimmer fans call it "lawnmower", you know there is an issue with it.

RC-F makes big horsepower and revs up to 7300 rpm. The only issue that is being talked about is the 400 lbs extra weight.
EXACTLY!!! The motor is fantastic (along with most of the new features), the issue is the LARD that Lexus refused to address.

Last edited by Gymkata; 09-10-14 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-13-14, 12:30 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Even with a major tune like juice box 4, it pulled only a 12.2 seconds. The E92 M3 modifications almost do nothing and it lost by only a few tenths (yeah, it was M-DCT, but still the JB4 increases the boost by a big margin). It is a basic bolt ons against a heavily tuned car. Not very impressed at all considering the substantial increase in power from mods.

p.s. The E92 M3 sounds godly!!!

Originally Posted by Exception
Pretty much everything you've stated is absolutely false. Don't let the 425 HP fool you, it's becoming well known that this number is underrated by BMW. I just saw a dyno yesterday (sheets and video) of a bone stock M4 putting down roughly 415 whp and 415 wtq and an amazing torque curve, all while weighing less than 3500 lbs. Do the math. Given real world data (reputable mag times, drag slips, vbox), the M4 is faster in a strait line and track than all of the cars you mentioned. Yes, faster in a strait line than C63. Show me data to prove otherwise, I have plenty.
3500 lbs? The BMW marketing is working great for BMW fans. Because, it is well over 100 lbs heavier than what you claim. I know it is still lighter than RC-F, but still far from the 3300 lbs claim of BMW. Look at the MotorTrend review and Johnny Libermann said they weighed the M4 at 3604 lbs. BTW, the stock torque curve is in free fall after 6000 rpm. As M4's biggest fan Sutcliffe even said, the M4 S55 engine cannot even come close to the RC-F V8 in terms of throttle response and sound. If I wanted a turbo inline-6 BMW, I would much rather get a 335i and tune it with suspension mods and still save enough to pay for the inconvenience and cost of reliability issues such as, HPFP, overheating etc.

No, you've got it wrong. The top end on the M3/M4 is incredibly healthy and will walk on the RC-F. Show me a stock RC-F trapping at >= 120 MPH
Which BMW forums did you come from? This is a serious question out of curiosity. I am not being pedantic (Of course, it is more than obvious so please don't tell me you are not).

Where is a stock M4 trapping at more than 120 mph? Did you mean the car with a juice box 4 tune (essentially adding a lot more boost increasing power to around 470 wheel HP). It is very far from stock. Why are you comparing a stock RC-F against a heavily modified M4? Then there is the living with the limp mode, overheating and HPFP issues juice box tunes are notorious for causing to the turbo inline 6 BMW engines? Should I post all of the threads from bimmer forums?

Look at this, some stock M-DCT M3 trapped at a very low 113 mph. So much for the usual "underrating" propaganda by Bimmer forums.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...group-a-bmw-m3

And here is the S55 dyno chart. The torque curve is plummeting hard after 6000 rpm. By all accounts, it is a very unexciting engine to rev past 6000 rpm especially with that lawnmower sound. There was ZERO reason for BMW to put a 7000+ rpm redline on it when it did not need anything more than 6400 rpm redline since those tiny little turbos are long checked out and out of puff by 7000 rpm.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-13-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-13-14, 02:13 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW Fan, welcome to Lexus Fan Club. Anyway we are friends, Toyota and BMW the two greatest car manufacturer that teamed up to build the best sports car ever.

The M4 F82 is faster, and that how it should, but it does not blow away the M3 E92. If to be objective, both M4 and RC F did the same technological leap forward compared to their predecessors. And why compare these to new cars with old RS4/RS5 and old C 63 AMG? The new one is just around the corner (revealed this month) and is the biggest threat to both M4 and RC F. It comes with V8 Biturbo and AWD. No chance against that one. But does it make it the best car? No. So it is not only about numbers.
Old 09-13-14, 03:16 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Levi68
It comes with V8 Biturbo and AWD. No chance against that one. But does it make it the best car? No. So it is not only about numbers.
C63 will be very hard to beat for everyone, including M3/4. My friend has the new C class and it feels very well built in every way. And when it comes to engines, Mercedes knows that part very well, they can still make a turbo engine sing .AMG GT with the same engine configuration, it looks fast as hell to.

Old 09-13-14, 06:04 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Pretty much everything you've stated is absolutely false. Don't let the 425 HP fool you, it's becoming well known that this number is underrated by BMW. I just saw a dyno yesterday (sheets and video) of a bone stock M4 putting down roughly 415 whp and 415 wtq and an amazing torque curve, all while weighing less than 3500 lbs. Do the math. Given real world data (reputable mag times, drag slips, vbox), the M4 is faster in a strait line and track than all of the cars you mentioned. Yes, faster in a strait line than C63. Show me data to prove otherwise, I have plenty.

No, you've got it wrong. The top end on the M3/M4 is incredibly healthy and will walk on the RC-F. Show me a stock RC-F trapping at >= 120 MPH
it doesnt weigh less than 3500#, people have posted 6MT stripper builds that weigh low 3500s with full gas. BMW straight up misled people on the weight figures. BMWUSA website gives a weight of almost 3600#

Yes M will be faster but I dont care. Engine is horrid in that car, lowsy power curve thats more suited to DD with a dying torque curve from 5500-7500, to save 30# they put a li-ion battery in there which has its own huge tradeoffs, bland styling that looks like every other 3/4. C&D tested the E90 M3 and F80 M3 both 6MT and they got the SAME 0-60 time and only .2 sec faster in 1/4 mile.

if I wanted a track machine Id get a Z06 and destroy all of these cars.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-13-14 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-13-14, 12:35 PM
got556
Rookie

Like the 335's, I will be interested to see just how much power those i6 twins can put out after some proper tinkering is done. Honestly when both cars are on the same track, both production cars, same tires, same elements, it will probably be a driver's race. I give the short technical tracks to the RC-F, and the long straight, high speed sweeping curved tracks to the M4.
Old 09-13-14, 01:22 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
C63 will be very hard to beat for everyone, including M3/4. My friend has the new C class and it feels very well built in every way. And when it comes to engines, Mercedes knows that part very well, they can still make a turbo engine sing .AMG GT with the same engine configuration, it looks fast as hell to.

2015 Mercedes-AMG GT Sounds on the Nurburgring! - YouTube
Beat in what way? I am reading a lot of extremely favorable comments about the RCF from critics who really like the C63 AMG. Could it be the tide is turning in favor of USEABLE driving characteristics, i. e., , the best overall high performance driving machine. The GTRs were less than 6 months old--one was 3 months with the driver.

Lexus out my way just took in a C63 from someone who decided to go to the dark side. . They have also taken in two 2014 GTRs from buyers who said they were disgusted with the cars and Nisaan.

Until you are on the inside looking out, it is often difficult to experience what some of these buyers go through with these competing rides.
Old 09-14-14, 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Sorry, but the M4 is 13 seconds faster around the Nürburgring Nordschleife than the E92 M3. 13 seconds is an eternity.
Ever watch Top Gear? See how they groan when they hear that a car excells on the Nurburgring.

I believe they put it that the use of the word Nurburgring equals ruining the car. Most of us drive cars on the road...not on the Nurburgring.
Old 09-15-14, 12:40 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Problem with RC-F is not only it has worse performance and standard features but it is also more EXPENSIVE than M4.

Here is my ideal M4 build:

BASE MSRP
$64,200
Yas Marina Blue Metallic$550
Black Extended Merino Leather$950
Carbon Fiber Interior Trim$0
Lighting Package$1,900
19" Black Light-Alloy Wheel Double-SpokeStyle 437 M with Mixed Perf. Tires$1,200
M Double-clutch Transmission with Drivelogic$2,900
Destination & Handling:$950
Total MSRP as Built $72,650

BTW all Carbon Fiber parts (Roof, Trunk, Driveshaft, Front STB, Interior Trim) are STANDARD.
NAV is STANDARD
Active M Differential Is STANDARD.

A comparable RC-F is over $80k

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-15-14 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 01:08 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Problem with RC-F is not only it has worse performance and standard features but it is also more EXPENSIVE than M4.

BASE MSRP
$64,200
Lighting Package$1,900
19" Black Light-Alloy Wheel Double-SpokeStyle 437 M with Mixed Perf. Tires$1,200

BTW all Carbon Fiber parts (Roof, Trunk, Driveshaft, Front STB, Interior Trim) are STANDARD.
NAV is STANDARD

Are the 19" wheels on the M4 forged or cast alloy? RC-F wheels are all forged alloy, even standard wheels.Active M Differential is the equivalent of the standard Torsen LSD on the RC-F. The TVD on the RC-F is one grade higher than the Active M differential.

So it's not a like for like comparison. One may spec out an RC-F and have it cheaper than the M4 as well. The RC-F has features that are standard that are either an option or not available on the M4.
Old 09-15-14, 01:23 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
Are the 19" wheels on the M4 forged or cast alloy? RC-F wheels are all forged alloy, even standard wheels.Active M Differential is the equivalent of the standard Torsen LSD on the RC-F. The TVD on the RC-F is one grade higher than the Active M differential.

So it's not a like for like comparison. One may spec out an RC-F and have it cheaper than the M4 as well. The RC-F has features that are standard that are either an option or not available on the M4.
Both 18 and 19in Wheels are FORGED on M3/4

TVD = Active M Differential
Active M Differential means that a whole range of sensors have been built into the car that are able to identify the road conditions, calculate the optimum locking degree, and activate the lock accordingly by means of an electric motor. The central input variables are the torque, the individual rotational speeds of the wheels, the lateral acceleration and the driving speed. Then there is the steering angle and the yaw rate, plus a few additional factors.

What does RC-F have standard over the M4 except for the Auto trans?
Leather seats are not even standard......

Last edited by RNM GS3; 09-15-14 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 05:27 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

BASE MSRP
$64,200
Lighting Package$1,900

NAV is STANDARD

No blind spot monitoring, upgraded audio, rear view camera, cooled seats, CF interior trim, keyless access that the RCF gets. If you want those throw in another $4000, $1900, $865 Harmon Kardon audio for those packages and the price comes out to be similar. More like a comparable M4 is $79k. RCF with premium, performance, navi/ML, $76k. The one you configured is slightly over a stripper build but you want to compare it to a near fully loaded RCF.

lets be real here no one is going to be swayed between either car for a few thousand. If someone wants an M4 they will get it, if someone wants an RCF they will get it. Funny thing is the M couldve been even less expensive if they offered a standard LSD. Not everyone wants the TVD, but BMW makes you buy it even if you'll never take it to the track. Theres a reason the C7 vette doesnt charge you for their TVD for those people who never go to the track.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-15-14 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-15-14, 06:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
No blind spot monitoring, upgraded audio, rear view camera, cooled seats, CF interior trim, keyless access that the RCF gets. If you want those throw in another $4000, $1900, $865 Harmon Kardon audio for those packages and the price comes out to be similar. More like a comparable M4 is $79k. RCF with premium, performance, navi/ML, $76k. The one you configured is slightly over a stripper build but you want to compare it to a near fully loaded RCF.

lets be real here no one is going to be swayed between either car for a few thousand. If someone wants an M4 they will get it, if someone wants an RCF they will get it. Funny thing is the M couldve been even less expensive if they offered a standard LSD. Not everyone wants the TVD, but BMW makes you buy it even if you'll never take it to the track. Theres a reason the C7 vette doesnt charge you for their TVD for those people who never go to the track.
You guys are hilarious.

Over $8k in options is a stripper build???

CF interior trim is STANDARD

Now we gonna penalize BMW for making M Active Differential Standard - r u kidding me???

Even if you add ALL the options u listed, M4 will be 80k and still Cheaper than RCF with Carbon Performance Package!!!
Old 09-15-14, 07:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Not everyone wants a TVD or CF parts, hence why Vettes and RCFs have it in separate package. Base M couldve started maybe 60k if those were moved to an option package.

Base price 62400

Premium Package (PM)
• Heated/ventilated front seats with Driver seat memory
• Carbon fiber interior trim
• Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-traffic Alert
• Premium LED L-shaped headlamps
• Intuitive Park Assist
$4400

Performance Package (requires PM) (PE)
• Carbon fiber roof
• Carbon rear wing
• Torque Vectoring Rear Differential
$5500

All Weather Package (CK)
• Headlamp washers
• Windshield-wiper deicer
• Heated steering wheel
$280

Optional Equipment:

HDD Navigation System - $1760
Navigation with Mark Levinson - $2840
Premium LED L-shaped headlamps - $1160
Moonroof - $1100
19” Wheel split 10-spoke - $850
19” Wheel Hand-polished 20-spoke - $1500
Intuitive Park Assist- $500
Pre-Collision System w/ Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - $500
Leather seats - $800
Infrared and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 Exterior Color - $595

Base $63,325 with destination
$4400 Premium
$5500 Performance
$2840 Navi/ML
$76025

Lot of these individual options dont apply since they are included in Premium, moonroof is excluded from Performance package because of the CF roof So even if I add the remaining options: 20 spoke wheels $1500, leather $800, Red/Blue 4 stage paints $595, PCS DRCC $500, All weather package $280 the highest I can get it is $78.9k. The prices are similar between the two cars for similar features. There is no significant price different between them. You didnt correctly compare similar features with a $72k M vs near fully loaded RCF. If the RCF could be had with the performance + Nav package without getting forced into premium it would be slightly cheaper than that 72k M. But no one is going to flip between these car for a couple grand.
Old 09-15-14, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Over $8k in options is a stripper build???
On a BMW...yeah it is.

Your build M4 is far less equipped than a comparable $80k (read...FULLY loaded) RC-F. This has long been an issue comparing BMW models to Lexus models. People say they're cheaper or similarly priced to a comparable Lexus model, but when you really equip them similarly they're much more.

Just compare a base $62k RC-F to a base $63k or whatever M4...the M4 doesn't even have leather seats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RC F vs M4