RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

HSP Intake Crackle Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 06:01 PM
LexZburk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSP Intake Crackle Noise

I'm new to ClubLexus so forgive me if I'm posting out of place here but I am looking for a bit of advice/help. I recently purchased my first Lexus, a 2017 RC 350 F-Sport and am absolutely loving it. I recently installed an HPS intake (SRI) mainly because I wanted to retain the ASC option and it was the only intake I could find that would do so. Since installing everything appears to be working correctly, no check engine lights and performance seems on par with what is expected but I have noticed a soft crackling noise when decelerating from high RPMs. This is more noticeable when in one of the sport modes. I also switched out the stock air filter and installed a K&N air filter. I was wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar. I'm worried that I'm hurting the engine but I hope that isn't the case and that someone can give me peace of mind or at least help me understand what is causing this. Thanks!

Edit: Title should read HPS* not HSP

Last edited by LexZburk; 01-13-20 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 06:42 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 788 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by LexZburk
I'm new to ClubLexus so forgive me if I'm posting out of place here but I am looking for a bit of advice/help. I recently purchased my first Lexus, a 2017 RC 350 F-Sport and am absolutely loving it. I recently installed an HPS intake (SRI) mainly because I wanted to retain the ASC option and it was the only intake I could find that would do so. Since installing everything appears to be working correctly, no check engine lights and performance seems on par with what is expected but I have noticed a soft crackling noise when decelerating from high RPMs. This is more noticeable when in one of the sport modes. I also switched out the stock air filter and installed a K&N air filter. I was wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar. I'm worried that I'm hurting the engine but I hope that isn't the case and that someone can give me peace of mind or at least help me understand what is causing this. Thanks!

Is it an exhaust crackling noise?
Old 01-14-20, 07:12 PM
LexZburk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It does sound very similar to the crackle that you'd get from an exhaust but it sounds like its coming from under the hood. Like I explained in the original post, it happens on decel from high RPMs. I can try and get a sound clip tomorrow and post it in this thread if that would help. Thanks again!
Old 01-15-20, 06:42 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 788 Likes on 402 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It does sound very similar to the crackle that you'd get from an exhaust but it sounds like its coming from under the hood. Like I explained in the original post, it happens on decel from high RPMs. I can try and get a sound clip tomorrow and post it in this thread if that would help. Thanks again!
That would be very helpful.
Old 01-17-20, 11:54 PM
tnilc
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

it’s normal.

as you’re accelerating you’re sucking in more air. As you let go of the pedal the sucking stops and turns to the gurgle sound as the intake flow drastically changes