PPE Engineering Header sound and pitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-18, 01:20 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PPE Engineering Header sound and pitch

Hey guys,

I'm considering PPE Engineering header for my RC. Problem is I haven't been to find many sound clips that has left a good impression. I would like some feedback from actual members that have installed it on their RC's.

My RC currently has an ARK exhaust and I love the deep growl it has. I've been able to find one clip of an actual RC w/ the header and the pitch is a bit high. The only other video I've found is of a GS350 and while it is loud and aggressive, it definitely is lacking a deeper note.

Maybe the sound clips aren't a true representation of the sound, can anyone with these headers chime in?
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRcr (08-18-18)
Old 08-18-18, 05:10 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Maybe also try searching sounds of the IS350?
fizik (08-21-18)
Old 08-19-18, 12:10 PM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 544 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
Maybe also try searching sounds of the IS350?
If it helps, this is how the PPE headers + F-Sport Exhaust sound on an IS350 (which has the same 2GR-FSE engine):

fizik (08-21-18)
Old 08-19-18, 01:45 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Its definitely going to be a lot louder and have a higher pitch.

Rc350, GS350, IS350, all the same sound pretty much.

Contact us for information or pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-19-18, 05:29 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions and help. The videos just sort of solidified my assumptions on the pitch. It is a bit higher, I will lose the growl that I love so now it's a matter of justifying 15 or so HP gain for the pitch.
Old 08-19-18, 11:01 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Worth it

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-20-18, 06:24 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Worth it

-Josh
Definitely not....

OP, sell it/trade it in for a. RCF....your hp and sound problems will all be solved then, trust me!

V.
Old 08-20-18, 04:19 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

In terms of horsepower, it adds a noticeable amount of pull to acceleration. But for me, the PPE+ARK combo was way too loud. Around 2-3k rpm was obnoxious, causing everything inside the car to rattle. I now have PPE header, ARK up to the axle back connection, then tanabe medalion mufflers (glad I kept them after getting the ARK!). With the current setup the exhaust note is deep, with a seriously mean growl at WOT, almost perfect (I'd prefer a touch quieter as the car is my daily).
fizik (08-21-18)
Old 08-21-18, 07:14 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Definitely not....

OP, sell it/trade it in for a. RCF....your hp and sound problems will all be solved then, trust me!

V.
Very good suggestion but realistically this car is great and I already love it. I don't need 400+ HP, just mainly looking to bring out the most of what the car can offer. We all know the terrible HP restrictions coming from the factory and it's a shame they don't take the extra effort to crank out a bit more HP when they know the motor is well capable of it.

Originally Posted by rcJten
In terms of horsepower, it adds a noticeable amount of pull to acceleration. But for me, the PPE+ARK combo was way too loud. Around 2-3k rpm was obnoxious, causing everything inside the car to rattle. I now have PPE header, ARK up to the axle back connection, then tanabe medalion mufflers (glad I kept them after getting the ARK!). With the current setup the exhaust note is deep, with a seriously mean growl at WOT, almost perfect (I'd prefer a touch quieter as the car is my daily).
I'm super interested in this setup of yours. Do you happen to have any sound clips? I also felt that PPE and ARK can be a bit loud for me at this age, but if you found some magic combination to keep the growl and at an appropriate decibel level then I would be sold!
Old 08-23-18, 12:57 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fizik
Very good suggestion but realistically this car is great and I already love it. I don't need 400+ HP, just mainly looking to bring out the most of what the car can offer. We all know the terrible HP restrictions coming from the factory and it's a shame they don't take the extra effort to crank out a bit more HP when they know the motor is well capable of it.

I'm super interested in this setup of yours. Do you happen to have any sound clips? I also felt that PPE and ARK can be a bit loud for me at this age, but if you found some magic combination to keep the growl and at an appropriate decibel level then I would be sold!
I can get a sound clip at some point this week/weekend. The main issue with the ARK is it's a full straight through design, using only a series of resonators, which results in a very loud exhaust. An actual muffler with an expansion chamber will greatly reduce the decibel levels, without a noticeable reduction in performance (as long as it's a high flow muffler). As you already have the ARK, an exhaust shop should be able to easily weld in a new set of mufflers of your choosing.
Old 08-23-18, 07:31 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcJten
I can get a sound clip at some point this week/weekend. The main issue with the ARK is it's a full straight through design, using only a series of resonators, which results in a very loud exhaust. An actual muffler with an expansion chamber will greatly reduce the decibel levels, without a noticeable reduction in performance (as long as it's a high flow muffler). As you already have the ARK, an exhaust shop should be able to easily weld in a new set of mufflers of your choosing.
That would be awesome if you could, and greatly appreciated.

I've considered that as an option since I'll be having the exhaust modded with high flow cats as well. I'll call around to a few shops and see what they can recommend. Seems like a waste to cut into such an expensive exhaust though.
Old 08-24-18, 10:36 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Headphones recommended.

The following 3 users liked this post by rcJten:
fizik (08-24-18), nbovelle (04-01-24), Peekb24 (09-20-19)
Old 08-24-18, 10:42 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fizik
That would be awesome if you could, and greatly appreciated.

I've considered that as an option since I'll be having the exhaust modded with high flow cats as well. I'll call around to a few shops and see what they can recommend. Seems like a waste to cut into such an expensive exhaust though.
You could always buy the Tanabe axle back system, and keep or sell the ARK axleback. The Tanabe system still needs a small amount of modification to work, as they come with a reduction at the flange to connect to the smaller factory diameter piping. It cost me $150 to have the flanges cut off and 3.5" piped flange welded on.

Last edited by rcJten; 08-24-18 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-24-18, 10:52 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Ark full kit will make it much faster. It is really loud though. Vibrates the interior a bit.
Old 08-24-18, 11:40 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Megafast13
The Ark full kit will make it much faster. It is really loud though. Vibrates the interior a bit.
On a NA motor the difference in power between different high flow mufflers will be insignificant. Maybe a few HPs. The removal of the catalytic converters will free up more HP than anything else, followed by tubing diameter, then tubing straightness, then mufflers and resonators.

Last edited by rcJten; 08-24-18 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: PPE Engineering Header sound and pitch