Steering Wheel Feel = Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-17, 01:34 PM
angela9051
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Feel = Normal?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this whole auto speak so I wanted your opinions...especially those that own the RC350 F Sport. I just picked up mine last week and I'm so in love with it!

However, one thing that I'm unsure of is the steering feel. I had been driving a Subaru Legacy ('13 and now '16) for the past 4 years. And my dad also has a '09 Highlander. The steering on those feel very much like NOTHING. Highlander is super light and Legacy is heavier, but overall you don't feel anything.

The RC on the other hand, I thought I could feel a ''pulse''...not a wobbly or shaking feel like in those YouTube videos, but definitely not silky smooth like the other cars I mentioned above. I got nervous so I asked my dad to drive and see how he feels. He says it's fine.

So my question is: do you guys get any pulsation feel on the steering wheel at all? Or do you think the wheels are off balance a little? I know many people love the ''steering feedback'' but I didn't think this was considered that?

Thanks in Advance!
​​​​​​​angela
Old 12-26-17, 02:11 PM
RCjets
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want to test the "feedback" theory, try putting it in Sport for a while, then later Sport+. If that makes your hands feel the steering and bumps more then I would say all you are feeling is the steering and suspension feedback which is normal. If your car is used and the steering wheel pulses during braking (should physically see steering wheel moving a little) then you may have warped front rotors. If the wheels are out of balance you would feel that more at higher speeds.

Last edited by RCjets; 12-26-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 02:31 PM
angela9051
Driver School Candidate

RCjets, thanks! My car is brand new. Braking feels very normal to me. If I put it to Sport + and step on the gas, it feels very normal to me as well. It's just when I'm cruising I can feel it pulsate...but I can't see the steering wheel physically move - thank goodness. Just thought it was weird because with our other cars, even at high speed on a straight line, the steering wheels feel dead as if the cars are not even running. The RC you could feel it...

I'm not sure if I'm just still very nervous around the car and gripping onto the steering wheel too hard (I leased my last two Subarus so she's my first ownership car)??
Old 01-12-18, 09:09 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The steering on these is so incredibly sensitive in my opinion. It’s nice for sport driving but not everyday. You’re probably not used to it yet. You feel everything especially mine with firmer lowering springs. I have better steering feel and control when my 8.5” summer nitto tires are on compared to the 8” all season Bridgestone.
Old 01-12-18, 07:44 PM
angela9051
Driver School Candidate

I would actually love to increase the tire profile a little to protect the rims...but i'm not sure if that's at all possible without getting smaller wheels.

I still have my Subaru and drove it 200 miles north after leaving the new RC home for the winter season...turns out the steering wheel doesn't feel as "dead" as i previously thought. It does have that "buzzing" sensation as well. I was just very relaxed with the Subie that i never even noticed. The Highlander that my dad drives definitely has the most calm/motionless feel out of the three though.
Old 01-12-18, 08:04 PM
BHawks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angela9051
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this whole auto speak so I wanted your opinions...especially those that own the RC350 F Sport. I just picked up mine last week and I'm so in love with it!

However, one thing that I'm unsure of is the steering feel. I had been driving a Subaru Legacy ('13 and now '16) for the past 4 years. And my dad also has a '09 Highlander. The steering on those feel very much like NOTHING. Highlander is super light and Legacy is heavier, but overall you don't feel anything.

The RC on the other hand, I thought I could feel a ''pulse''...not a wobbly or shaking feel like in those YouTube videos, but definitely not silky smooth like the other cars I mentioned above. I got nervous so I asked my dad to drive and see how he feels. He says it's fine.

So my question is: do you guys get any pulsation feel on the steering wheel at all? Or do you think the wheels are off balance a little? I know many people love the ''steering feedback'' but I didn't think this was considered that?

Thanks in Advance!
​​​​​​​angela
I have a 2017 with 740 miles. I do not feel any pulsation.
Old 01-13-18, 07:23 AM
angela9051
Driver School Candidate

I would describe it more of a ''buzz'' because the steering wheel doesn't shake. I think every car has some sensation it's just some are more noticeable...that makes sense right? when the winter is over and I bring the car out of the garage, I will feel it out again!