RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Issues with IPod touch connected via USB

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-16, 03:19 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Issues with IPod touch connected via USB

Does anyone else have an IPod in their RC and have issues with it not responding half of the time? For example, I switch over to play music off of it and it works fine, I switch back to the radio and then back to the IPod and it won't play and has to be rebooted to work. I had the same issue with my 2015 IS so I am wondering if it is just my IPod having issues or if it is a problem with IPods in general. I want to look for an alternative to play my music (all of which is on ITunes) but don't want to waste money on another IPod if I am going to have the same issues.
Old 08-14-16, 06:37 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm using a 128gb ipod touch for music. So far it's been fine when switching source. What gen is your ipod. Is the ipod firmware/software updated?
Old 08-14-16, 06:52 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by happy1977
I'm using a 128gb ipod touch for music. So far it's been fine when switching source. What gen is your ipod. Is the ipod firmware/software updated?
It's a 1st generation with the most current version of the software. It has lived in my cars (in hot Florida) for years so maybe it is time to replace it.....
Old 08-14-16, 08:07 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't use iTunes, but I assume that you can download MP3 format and save it on a USB stick? If so, that's what I do.

I keep all of my music on a USB stick and play it directly off of that. Then it's always ready to go when I get into the car and it's invisible since it's inside the console. When I need to update then I take the stick and plug it into my computer to do what I need to do.

I used to play off of my phone via bluetooth. I find the USB to be better. It also doesn't take as long to start playing after starting the car as it does when you play via bluetooth.
Old 08-14-16, 08:41 PM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Davew77
I don't use iTunes, but I assume that you can download MP3 format and save it on a USB stick? If so, that's what I do.

I keep all of my music on a USB stick and play it directly off of that. Then it's always ready to go when I get into the car and it's invisible since it's inside the console. When I need to update then I take the stick and plug it into my computer to do what I need to do.

I used to play off of my phone via bluetooth. I find the USB to be better. It also doesn't take as long to start playing after starting the car as it does when you play via bluetooth.
I'll have to look into that option. My IPod is connected via USB, it is an old model that doesn't have bluetooth, but it doesn't always communicate with/respond to the car.
Old 08-15-16, 05:00 AM
w0rM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar issue with my iPod after 4 or 5 years of living in my car (in south Louisiana). I ended up just ditching it and moving to a thumb drive.

On a side note, I would never buy music from Apple. They deliver everything in the proprietary ACC format instead of MP3 and converting them to MP3 and be a real pain. Amazon music is the same price or cheaper. It's all high quality MP3 and you can still use it on your iPod.
Old 08-15-16, 09:10 AM
wednesday
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by w0rM
I had a similar issue with my iPod after 4 or 5 years of living in my car (in south Louisiana). I ended up just ditching it and moving to a thumb drive.

On a side note, I would never buy music from Apple. They deliver everything in the proprietary ACC format instead of MP3 and converting them to MP3 and be a real pain. Amazon music is the same price or cheaper. It's all high quality MP3 and you can still use it on your iPod.
Okay, good to know someone had a similar issue.

My husband has moved over to Amazon, I will once I use up the credit I have had with iTunes for forever. I really don't feel like converting the ITunes files so I may just buy one of the cheap iPod shuffles for now.
Old 01-07-18, 11:45 AM
rc350faud
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 Lexus RC350F with the Mark Levinson radio. I have tried several thumb drives plugged into the USB and only part of my library shows up and most of my library does not appear. If I plug my thumb drive into my PC or my Altima everything is fine and this is how it is on all my thumb drives. Next I tried my old ipod. It also does not work and the display on the ipod flashes to disconnect. I can not access anything. All my Lexus's usb seems to be a major issue. How can I fix them? The car was over $52,000 new and my cheap Altima has no issues!

I figured out the usb issue. No subfolders, 255 songs or less per folder. I named my folders music a-j, music l-r, etc. named by artist. Hopefully this will help some other person out. I can't believe how limiting the system is as my ipod doesn't work as well. It is without these restrictions on my older Camry! There is a list of apple products that are compatible on pg. 360 of the owners manual.

Last edited by rc350faud; 01-08-18 at 12:13 PM. Reason: problem resolved
Old 01-07-18, 07:15 PM
DKTK
Driver School Candidate

There are 2 USB ports in the console. Had trouble with mine initially but changed ports and no more problems. Seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a default of one port over the other.
Old 01-08-18, 05:30 AM
rc350faud
Driver School Candidate

Default usb ports

I tried the thumb drives and the ipod on all usb ports and they all do have same issue
Old 02-20-18, 09:08 PM
TuanDang
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am have the same problem with a thumb drive. Anyone able to get this to work?
Old 02-21-18, 03:49 AM
rc350faud
Driver School Candidate

Default Ipod 4th generation works fine

The ipod 4th generation works fine. My ipod 1st generation does not work. The car has a really limited tech application and I find it distracting when I am driving and it is not easy to browse music or even change radio stations using the mouse pad. Lexus, you really blew it on this one.