Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is L-Tuned the only CARB legal exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 02:09 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is L-Tuned the only CARB legal exhaust...

...or do I have more choices?

I love the appeal of the Tom's barrel, but I don't want to get into it if it's gonna be a hassle to get the car smogged.
Old 08-15-03, 08:40 AM
kvoman
Driver

I don't think it matters if you're replacing it from the catalytic converter back.

Getting it to pass a smog inspection has nothing to do with your exhaust. But if you touched the intake or the Cat, then it's another issue. I'm sure you have seen trucks/SUVs with dual exhausts, those are not CARB certified, I'm 100% sure because I had one.
Old 08-15-03, 09:45 AM
chaskim
Pole Position

Default CARB or not

its true what kvoman stated. NAything from the Cat back is leagal. For proof just look at the Neon SRT it has no mufflers and it comes stock from the factory like that. Plus you can talk to any exhaust shop and they'll tell you the same. But change that Air box or headers and you better have a CARB sticker or know someone who has a TEST only cnter.

Chaskim
Old 08-15-03, 09:50 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

So if I'm understanding this correctly:

1) I can change anything behind the cat and not worry about passing smog (when I say "pass", I also mean the visual inspection, not just the emissions measurement).

2) The exhaust (again, from the cat back) is not subject to visual inspection during a smog check.

Right?
Old 08-19-03, 12:03 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

I think it has a little to do with the actual technician. My old car was a 95 accord LX with moded 97 Vtec motor (intake, header, exhaust, but stock cat). If I took that thing anywhere to get smogged, the guy would basically laugh at me. I found a guy that was willing to not look at what I had done to it and just run it on his machine to show it would actually pass emissions. It did (two years in a row), smog cert issued both times, no problem.

I have a feeling that as long as you leave the cat alone, you will still have legal emissions, and will be able to get it smogged at a “friendly” place, but if you have any engine mods done there is a good chance a usual smog guy will fail you on the visual.