Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Diagnostic.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 09:15 AM
Corralesr
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic.

I went to get a diagnostic (free service) and this is the paper they gave me? Can anyone explain? Also I went to autozone to read the codes and they told me it was an egr valve, but when I went back in a week later to buy the part they said my car doesn’t come equipped with an egr valve and only a black off plate? How can this be?
Old 06-07-19, 11:36 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Try a new gas cap. Thats your best bet (cheapest way) to get rid of the top 3 codes. If that doesn't work its going to cost a lot more money
The following users liked this post:
Corralesr (06-07-19)
Old 06-07-19, 12:15 PM
Corralesr
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try changing the gas cap and we will see what that does. I just took it to Ted wiens and they came up with a whole paper of things I needed to fix. It just all doesn’t make sense. They tell me it’s the radiator, and then say it’s my buschings for my joints...one question if you may know but does 2002 come equipped with an egr valve? They said my model didn’t have one but emissions keep popping up when they run the code tester
Old 06-07-19, 05:45 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

No egr valve. Those aren't egr codes, they are EVAP codes. Don't even need to try the gas cap. It's the vent control valve that is your issue. That is a "circuit" code, meaning it isn't functioning right electrically. The other two are byproducts of it not working. All three will go away with a new vent valve or fixing the wiring of the circuit if the problem is there. The coolant code is 9/10 a thermostat or the system is low on coolant. The radiator may be leaking if they told you that. But if the system is full, that code is for the thermostat staying stuck open. Both are very cheap items, but installing is where you pay up. Know anyone that can wrench?
Corralesr (06-07-19)
Old 06-07-19, 07:07 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default wurd

the three evap codes are likely due to your driver side engine mount is broken so whenever you accelerate, it pulls the evap line off the metal line that is next to the driver side shock tower. or perhaps you have a crack in the line going to the little green cap thats used for smoke testing the evap system.
Corralesr (06-08-19)
Old 06-09-19, 07:54 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Corralesr
I will try changing the gas cap and we will see what that does. I just took it to Ted wiens and they came up with a whole paper of things I needed to fix. It just all doesn’t make sense. They tell me it’s the radiator, and then say it’s my buschings for my joints...one question if you may know but does 2002 come equipped with an egr valve? They said my model didn’t have one but emissions keep popping up when they run the code tester
Take a car to Toyota for an oil change, and you get an estimate for $5k in work. An oil-change place, you need all your other fluids flushed. The dentist, and turns out you need teeth straightening and whitening...

What did you think they would do... let you leave, and tell you everything is perfect...?! : )