Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust recommendation needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 06:03 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chinox22x
someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the fsport filter is dry vs the kn which is oil lubed. either one will give you the same performance if you don't have any bolt ons, it's just a matter of preference. i myself have a k&n with rr-racing's cf intake tube.
There is no performance advantage to the F Sport intake, it's sound only. If it's performance you want, you need to look elsewhere. In fact, because of the open nature of the intake, it's possible to lose a few hp under certain circumstances.
Old 12-17-18, 09:47 AM
darkfire
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
It depends on what you're going for. The F Sport isn't going to give you any more power, but won't hurt either. You're always safe with factory accessories, but you're definitely not going to get as much bang for your buck.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm looking for which is going to deliver (any) power gain?
Old 12-17-18, 10:33 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by darkfire
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm looking for which is going to deliver (any) power gain?
You're not going to get much if that's our only mod. The intake is one part of the entire stream, so full exhaust, and tune are necessary to bring out any real gains from an intake. I think most go with the Tekada for power.
Old 01-06-19, 08:06 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I have the same stipulations as the OP (and same car) except price/value conscious and power gains are a hopeful bonus. Been doing Youtube-scouting the past couple weeks, and from it (no real-life witness, so fwiw) my take for axle-backs from quietest to loudest is:

1. F-Sport
2. Tanabe, Tsudo
3. JoeZ, Magnaflow, Borla
4. Ark, Invidia, Agency

F-Sport - probably ideal, but way too much $$ (it's almost $2K in Canada, lol)
Tanabe, Tsudo, Magnaflow, and JoeZ with the most refined sound, probably in that order
Borla - sounds better on American muscle cars
Ark, Invidia, Agency, etc. just too loud, precludes adding a midpipe

I'm personally leaning towards the Tsudo. Quality is apparently good, and you get the entire catback for about the same price or less than the others' axle-back alone. Would like to do full cat-back as it's the midpipe that's the restriction in the system, but if it's too loud then just sell the midpipe -- easy, as they're always in demand. As we have AWD, there would be a modification needed for it to fit.

Would be great to hear from those who've auditioned or heard these to compare. Rather surprised to hear that the Tanabe seems louder than the Invidia. Come to any conclusions or make a decision yet, VisualEcho?
Old 01-10-19, 02:08 PM
darkfire
Rookie

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
I have the same stipulations as the OP (and same car) except price/value conscious and power gains are a hopeful bonus. Been doing Youtube-scouting the past couple weeks, and from it (no real-life witness, so fwiw) my take for axle-backs from quietest to loudest is:

1. F-Sport
2. Tanabe, Tsudo
3. JoeZ, Magnaflow, Borla
4. Ark, Invidia, Agency

F-Sport - probably ideal, but way too much $$ (it's almost $2K in Canada, lol)
Tanabe, Tsudo, Magnaflow, and JoeZ with the most refined sound, probably in that order
From most to least refined?

Chris
Old 01-10-19, 02:13 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

From most to least refined?

Chris
And volume, yeah, which of course is pretty subjective and only based on sound files over the web, not real life.
Old 01-10-19, 02:14 PM
darkfire
Rookie

I have an F-Sport but really wanting to swap for something that gives a little more performance. I know it won't be much, but I'll take what I can get. Thoughts in that regard?

Chris
Old 01-10-19, 02:17 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Thing is, no axle-back on its own is likely to deliver anything more than a couple HP, and even a muffler delete could result in a net loss, especially in torque. The biggest restriction on our exhausts is apparently in the mid-pipe.

Btw, if you decide to sell your F-sport, put me first in the queue for it, thanks!
Old 01-10-19, 02:21 PM
darkfire
Rookie

Yeah, I would end up going headers + midpipe + axle-back, just haven't settled on the combination yet. PPE headers is the only thing I'm solid on.

Will keep you posted if I sell my F-Sport exhaust.

Chris
Old 01-10-19, 02:30 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Yeah, I would end up going headers + midpipe + axle-back, just haven't settled on the combination yet. PPE headers is the only thing I'm solid on.

Will keep you posted if I sell my F-Sport exhaust.

Chris
Awesome, thanks! Yes, a full exhaust like that would certainly do, then intake becomes more of a factor as well. I haven't looked into the midpipes enough to advise which is "best" but would think they are all similar enough to be close in power increase. Are you also considering the RR tune? They get some pretty nice numbers when used in conjunction. I'd like to do it, but that'll be way too loud for me (and my neighbours') liking.
Old 01-10-19, 02:32 PM
darkfire
Rookie

RR is still working on a tune for the 2018 models because the engine changed to a 2GR-FKS. I'm keeping my eye on it for now, haven't decided one way or the other.

Chris
Old 01-10-19, 04:25 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Thing is, no axle-back on its own is likely to deliver anything more than a couple HP...
Agreed. But to me, less weight is a big deal. Everything on this car is so damn heavy! I literally couldn't believe the weight of the wheel/tire combo. I mean, insane! My new 19's with 175 tires is lighter!
Old 03-20-20, 07:25 PM
Jaynight
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TonyN, where did you buy your exhaust tips from?
Old 03-22-20, 01:57 PM
asrap
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remark axle-back exhaust hands down
Old 03-23-20, 11:36 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ark grip exhuast

Quick Reply: Exhaust recommendation needed.