Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone test out OV's Flex Fuel kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 02:16 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone test out OV's Flex Fuel kit?

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/...-tuner-package

I imagine this is for E85 but I'm not entirely sure if this is everything needed to run E85. Someone far more experienced than me should comment on this. That being said, has anyone used this before? Is there any benefit to it?
Old 09-11-17, 03:12 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

E85 burns cooler than gasoline so the intake temperatures are lower is what I read. I guess that kit removes the rubber fuel lines which apparently e85 will damage. I had no idea e85 was more beneficial for HP. Just assumed it was to help make gas chepaer. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 09-12-17, 11:42 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
E85 burns cooler than gasoline so the intake temperatures are lower is what I read. I guess that kit removes the rubber fuel lines which apparently e85 will damage. I had no idea e85 was more beneficial for HP. Just assumed it was to help make gas chepaer. Pretty cool stuff.
E85, if your car is tuned for it, does add more power because it has a higher octane rating than standard premium gas (correct me if I am wrong). Sort of like using race gas. I guess I'm just a tad surprised that this is all that is needed to go E85. I imagine if you get this kit, the car can still use pump gas and E85 as well assuming you change the tune for it.

As to how much E85 adds in terms of power and a tune, there is no specific answer. I might email them about it but they tend to not respond that quickly, so it could take a while.
Old 09-12-17, 05:26 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just saw the e85 kit as well. Very curious if anyone is running it.
Old 09-13-17, 08:29 AM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

From a previous Facebook chat OV said:

"with E85 you can expect a big jump in torque. top end horsepower depends on modifications"

They also said you get more gain from E85 if you have headers.
Old 09-13-17, 12:08 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by andper10
From a previous Facebook chat OV said:

"with E85 you can expect a big jump in torque. top end horsepower depends on modifications"

They also said you get more gain from E85 if you have headers.
This makes sense but is also really vague. They need to give us some numbers compared to stock, 91 octane tuned with no exhaust mods, E85 with no exhaust mods, 91 with full bolt ons, etc. Saying it just adds a lot of power isn't really reassuring. (Side note: saying 'big jump' in torque on an NA engine with no forced induction modification is a little too suspicious) Obviously if there are (reasonable) exhaust modifications, there will be more power. And this is what raises my doubt on this E85 kit. No numbers or anything. Who knows, it might add a ton of power but they haven't shown us any proof.
Old 09-23-17, 09:57 PM
Khatton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d be interested in this kit immensely for a multitude of reasons but would like to see their research first. When I had the 335 with it’s mods and ran a 50/50 E85 it was an entirely new engine. That car was amazing. FBO with tune we had guys getting 450 whp on 50/50. My reservations though point towards the fuel lines and other parts that might degrade when in contact with the high levels of ethanol since our systems aren’t made to endure that necessarily. In my experience, but with a different car, I stayed under 50/50 and didn’t have to replace fuel injectors, fuel pumps and I retained my stock lines.

Sadly since we’re running a NA-V engine e85 won’t get us that great of gains but it will help with smoother running, lower temps and a cleaner burn albeit sacrificing MPG.
Old 09-24-17, 02:40 PM
Khatton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
E85:
1. better latent heat than gas
2. lower energy content per liter
3. can be run much richer without power penalty

What I don't understand: if running E85 without any hardware changes, this presumes that the pump and fuel line have enough reserve capacity for more volume, and the injectors can be run at a higher duty cycle.
Is this true?
It looks like our fuel pumps and injectors are the same as the 4.6L V8 so I would think that the volumetric flow rate of a 3.5 V6+ethanol compensation would still fall under the VFR of the V8. But that is a hugeeeee assumption, assuming that fuel volume increases proportionally with cylinder volume or anything similar. There are ton of other factors that could apply but based just off of that simplified assumption it looks like those components wouldn’t be working too hard.