Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1998 Lexus gs300 2jz ge vvti na-t build Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 04:47 AM
cookie24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Lexus gs300 2jz ge vvti na-t build Questions

hey my name is chris. an have a few question i want to cleared out of my head.

I'm still new to the whole 2jz world. I bought a 2gen gs300 a year ago because i couldn't find a supra in my price range here in the states.the main reason i got the car was for the motor. Then an few months of me owning the car.I kind just fell in love with the thing the way it handle, the sound after I put a straight pipe header on it.changed the stock intake to a short air ram. all small changes basically,then come to find out.that the motor i had in my gs was the same as a mk4 stock supra kind of blow my mind.when my buddy's started telling me what i had. Didn't be leave it at first, so did all my reach an sure enough they were right..basically were I live theirs mainly only muscle cars or high priced luxury cars.so Im wanting to be able to keep with all my friends wi there big blocks motors in all. basically I've compensated for every mod i done to the car. im wanting to make 300hp to 500hp with out breaking the bank so heres my list of mods..

-Front mount inter cooler (ebay) (stealth style blacked out)
-Megan racing lowering springs(2.5 drop all the way around)
-2.5 inter cooler piping (that really helped hide everything)
-Te04 turbo 50mm (ebay)
-Full exahust all the way back to the 4 mufflers under the car( think they might be causing the car to run a little rough.)
-RDT blow off valve
-GTE Turbo header(1.5 tubing)
-GTE head gasket
-Apexi super afc
-Sen sen struts (all the way around)
-Strut mount bars (front and back)
-WPN air intake (dragon)
-Wide band kit
-370 injectors(ebay)(cheap brand)
-255 fuel pump
-Boost an oil pressure an voltage gauges( sucks cause I couldn't hide them)
-Stage 1 brake rotors( all the way around drilled an slotted)

Still thinking of putting in a roll cage and a standalone ecu an some other things later on down the road.but Now to my questions about these engines.
because I've done all this work an Im having a few issues.That im not under standing,about the car its self.

1. ...The second gen gs300 does it run on a karma or a hot wire in the mass flow sensor

2...Does the car need both 02 sensors to run when turbo-ed or can i wire them both together as one.an the car still run fine

3...How much hp can the stock a/t tranny hold before giving out.

4...Were is the best places to buy parts for these. cars an how many cars do the interchange with others an the makes i can change with.

5...How much boost can the gte head gasket hold.( I ran 10 psi on the stock gasket for the gs300.an pushed it.not meaning to 15 psi or at least that's what the gauge said)this was before i changed the gasket to the gte. thankfully nothing broke or busted only did it once.

6...Since i have a straight pipe all the way back to the 4 mufflers or tail pipes.should i just go head an cut them out to an put in new ones or just a put tips on it..thinking there causing my car to stall,because they were not meant to have all that excessive force.

7...How much can the stock components hold psi wise.(pistons-rings-springs-cams-valves-stock head studs-coil packs)

8...Thinking about going to a 2mm head gasket an gte pistons to lower compression. would this be a bad idea if i don't plan on running high boost levels.

9...How do you get the blow off valve to stop making flutter noises.(my car sounds like a angry turkey.must turbo cars i hear just Hiss.My car does it in spurts.

10.What are the best ways to keep temps down under the hoods of the cars.

11...Thinking of getting the diff weld or would an lsd give me the same effect without the wheel hopping

12...Whats the best air fuel mixture. im told 14.5 across the board is good but my car idles between 11.2 an 13.5 at the moment.

13..Would running a wet shot nitrous oxide kit be bad for my engine since i'm still running the factory fuel rail an regulator. an the fact that there is no return line out to the tank.

14..Is there any way you can change the radio in the car an keep the factory amp in working order.

15..How far down should i gap my spark plugs.the car seems to idle fine with the stock gs plugs but after the car is warm seems to go limp.or should i just buy a gte igniter or an after market one. or do they already have set plugs for this problem.

16..Wanting to adjust my idle to about 700 to 900 hundred to keep the turbo at least spinning is this bad.

17..Whats the best piggy back that will actually work for these engines ecu if the s-afc doesn't work out.

18..I went thru an rebuilt the head of my car an cleaned it pretty well,but wanted to know if porting an polishing the valve ports on the 2jz ge would be worth it or not.does any one have numbers or dyno done on that.

19.. Since my car is a vvt-i i don't have to retard the timing or advance it cause ecu does it right or wrong.

20..Im only going to run the car on high octane fuel..would the car still run the same as it did or am going to have to jump up to the next level.

21..How do you set the tps on these cars to match the pedal position sensor since its all electronic

22..Is it possible to maintain drifts in these cars in a/t trans

23.How many 02 sensors are on the gs300 exhaust side i know 2 are 02's but what are the others
ones under the car by the passenger door an the other is under the one is under the 02's..is it like a stock narrow band or something.

24.. does any one know who really won the battle between the 2jz's an the rb's. could never get a straight answer out of anyone.it always the skyline was the track zilla but the supra was the street zilla.

Like i said still have a lot more i want to do to the car. I know a lot of what I asked should be common sens. Im still learning about the car.Im open to suggestion an ideas if you have any advice that could help further the car build. heres a email address if you wanna drop me a line

chriscoz90@gmail.com
Old 04-30-17, 05:44 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Check thoroughly thru the build threads
all the answers are there . You just asked for :30 min worth of responses . You should do about 11 hours worth of reading and think this thru and acquire Lexus - Toyota knowjedge
Old 05-14-17, 06:54 AM
cookie24
Driver School Candidate

looking for good ideas not a guy with a little man complex.how bout something useful, like dual brake set up.or maybe only run a 35 shot of nos if your gonna keep the stock internals,so you don't blow the engine in high rpm.I don't get on here much an most of my car is done from my simple know how.Just trying to do something different. then the basic gte swap or a big single turbo. honestly its starting to get old. don't get me wrong it works in all. whens the last time you seen something.that hasn't been done yet.
Old 05-14-17, 02:26 PM
cookie24
Driver School Candidate

see guy was that HARD!!!! an thank you for your input.maybe my friend was right about you guys an i had you all wrong.you guys actually know what your talking about.an no that's why im asking for your guys ideas,i wanna know what haven't you guys done or tried or even thought about doing.
as for 16. no my turbo doesn't start spinning till 700 rpm.still looking in to why that is.thought i had a few exhaust leaks i missed,so i took it to a garage.an they couldn't find anything. an on the trans thing that sucks.is there a shift kit or something i could get to enforce the trans parts.
when i say dual brake set up. im mean dual caliper. is it even wroth the time an effort since the gs has a dual piston setup in the rear already. I've seen people use the supra calipers, searching on line haven't found anything really. 12...fuel ratio thing- my plug gap is .30 on cooper plugs since the can handle engine heat better then all the others.an i lowered my fuel to about 10.3 im told its better to run a little rich then to run it to lean since i don't boost till after 3000 rpm.
as for the nos kit thing change in heart after i seen my buddy track chevy s10 bite it. just seems a little on safe for the motor if i decide to keep this setup for a while. plan on taking the car next month to get it dyno tuned to see if there's going to be any difference in the car from were i have it now.
An just want to say thank you kitabel for giving me some input i could actually use...but i have 1 more question for you. i have a 1992 lexus sc400 just got not long ago. im pretty sure the motor is bad since i got so cheap.is the 1uz worth rebuilding or should i just let it go.an no its not the vvti version.