Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU Tuning Questions/Answers

Old 03-27-16, 10:11 AM
lexis35022
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the S/C, is it jus going to be made for the isf?? Or 250-350 as well??!!
Old 03-28-16, 12:37 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by lexis35022
With the S/C, is it jus going to be made for the isf?? Or 250-350 as well??!!
We are planning an IS supercharger as well, but I don't want to make any promises on the timeline, and then leave people hanging.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 04-04-16, 03:06 PM
KingGabe
Driver School Candidate

Default MPG's?

So like everyone else I'm excited about the extra power, but are there any gains in MPG's with this tune? If so, what has been the average (in non race car mode)?
Old 04-05-16, 04:30 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by KingGabe
So like everyone else I'm excited about the extra power, but are there any gains in MPG's with this tune? If so, what has been the average (in non race car mode)?

We do not mess with any of the low-load cruising mapping, so fuel economy, if you drive normally, is unchanged.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 04-16-16, 04:04 PM
ShotmaKer
Driver School Candidate

Don't wanna rush you guys or anything and I'm sure all of us are grateful for all the efforts you guys are putting into making our cars a better platform. But I wanna ask, do you think it is at all possible to tune the transmission on our cars? And if yes, to what extent?

I understand that this is the same A760E transmission that Lotus uses on the Evora S - somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Lotus tuned it so that they can actually select gears using the paddle shiffters, and they also do have rev matching. Not sure whether it's only a software limitation on our cars or it's a mechanical one... Any insight would be much appreciated as I'm sure most of us would love a transmission tune.
Old 04-16-16, 04:59 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShotmaKer
Don't wanna rush you guys or anything and I'm sure all of us are grateful for all the efforts you guys are putting into making our cars a better platform. But I wanna ask, do you think it is at all possible to tune the transmission on our cars? And if yes, to what extent?

I understand that this is the same A760E transmission that Lotus uses on the Evora S - somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Lotus tuned it so that they can actually select gears using the paddle shiffters, and they also do have rev matching. Not sure whether it's only a software limitation on our cars or it's a mechanical one... Any insight would be much appreciated as I'm sure most of us would love a transmission tune.
This is essentially what everyone wants to know. For a lot of us potential buyers, we are just waiting to see who can tune the transmission first (if thats even possible) to make our decision and buy the tune.

Dont get me wrong, the tune is great from what Ive heard. But without the tune working to its fullest capability when in Auto mode , its not 100% worth it to a lot of us. Its great that the redline can be increased and there is more power too, but if you have to switch to Manual mode and deal with that laggy paddle "shifter" nonsense than the results are less than optimal since we may make mistakes on the shifting and since the car takes longer to respons. Where as in Auto the car shifts notably faster and at more optimal shift points.

Hopefully this is do able. If not I still for one will purchase my tune in the future anyway after I am done with my exterior modification process. But that wont be for a while honestly... Only way I would purchase right away is if a trnasmission tune comes out or if either TTFS or RR Racing offers something unique that the other doesnt offer. Until then... I guess we just have to sit around quietly and patiently until one of them speak on the matter.

Thst being said there work is still greatly appreciated. But im just being honest and making my guess in the way I see things going.
Old 04-20-16, 09:03 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ShotmaKer
The Lotus uses a transversely mounted engine/transmission. Although I don't know what transmission it is, it is highly unlikely to be closely related to the longitudinally mounted ISX50 transmission.
Old 04-20-16, 09:13 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Correct, the Lotus transmission is unrelated to the one in the ISx50.

That said, looking into how the programming of the 3IS A960E/A760F transmission controller works might be the best bet, as they use the same type of transmission as the 2IS, but they have proper manual gear selection.

In fact, the 3IS A760F is the same part number as the 2IS A760F.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 04-20-16 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-20-16, 10:08 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

IIRK, the 6-speed automatic transmission from the Lotus Evora and Lotus Evora S is derived from the previous generation of the Toyota Camry. Lotus recalibrated the Aisin transmission to allow for manual gear selection and a shift time of 240ms.

On the upcoming Lotus Evora 400, I've seen no indication that Lotus changed the auto transmission for its Intelligent Precision Shift (IPS) model even though the shift times have been cut more than half from 240ms to 100ms.
Old 04-27-16, 06:20 AM
ShotmaKer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for those precisions guys, I stand corrected. Nonetheless, I feel like with a tad more power/torque and a proper transmission tune, the 2is would be a really fun daily driver, at least in my case.
The following users liked this post:
QuazeFaxi (12-23-16)
Old 04-28-18, 04:42 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 527 Likes on 312 Posts

Since it has been over two years that we've had several ECU tuning options available for the 2IS350 (RR-Racing, OV Tune, TTFS), I figure it would be a good time to resurrect this thread for everyone with an ECU tune to share their experience as well as posting any available dynos, datalogs, videos, etc with the ClubLexus 2IS community. This is something that the IS-F folks have been doing for some time but I haven't seen the same for the 2IS350: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ts-please.html

I've had the RR-Racing ECU tune on my IS350 for over two years and it's been one of my favorite performance mods on the car. The option to raise the rev limiter to 7200 RPMs was instrumental for me (particularly on the track) as it allows the powerband to carry forward for several hundred additional RPMs in the lower gears which translates to more acceleration. It also sounds really nice when you rev it past 7k:

Earlier this month, I had a chance to take my IS350 to the dyno to see what RWHP it was producing. This was my first opportunity to hear my car's setup (PPE Headers, F-Sport Exhaust, F-Sport Intake + Tune) at WOT while I was outside the car and I was pretty impressed with the exhaust note:

Unfortunately, potential heatsoak from insufficient cooling at the dyno shop may have impacted the dyno results as my Lexus only pushed out 282rwhp and 266 ft/lbs of torque.

Still, this dyno day was a great learning experience for me as I then began venturing to test out several OBD datalogging apps (Torque Pro and OBD Fusion) to collect information on what my car is doing when under WOT. Both apps provided essentially the same information during my tests but the OBD Fusion app has a unique feature where you can datalog your Knock Correction Learning Value (KCLV) and Knock Feedback Value (KFV) which were Toyota/Lexus data points that were previously only obtainable via Techstream. The KCLV and KFV are critical for the ECU to determine how much ignition timing advance and AFR it can safely provide for maximum performance. Here are my current datalog results from multiple 3rd gear pulls based on the combined data from both apps:

Knock Correction Feedback Value: 24

Knock Feedback Value: -3 to -4 degrees

MAF Air Flow: Peak of 240 g/s @ 7200 RPMs

AFR: Consistently at 12.08 at WOT (though this might be the lowest reading possible from the O2 sensors and it could be lower based on the lambda reading of 0.78 [equivelent to mid/high 11s])

Ignition Timing Advance: 27.5 degrees at the upper RPM range

Max RWHP: 298.7rwhp @ 7198 RPMs (Torque Pro est.)

Max Torque: 277.5 ft/lbs @ 5341 RPMs (Torque Pro est.)

Engine Coolant Temp: 179 F

Intake Air Temp: 82 F

From Torque Pro:

From OBD Fusion:

Hopefully this information is useful for those reading this and are thinking about adding an ECU tune to their list of mods. If anyone else has datalogs, videos, or dynos to share, feel free to post so this information can be referenced for future use.

Last edited by redspencer; 04-28-18 at 05:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (04-29-18)