Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

whats more mild then a Joey Z axle back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 06:21 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whats more mild then a Joey Z axle back?

i just put it on yesterday after months of research and its too much drone on the highway.

i thought the order of magnitude was stock, f sport, joey z and they only up from there?

I want to give it some more time before pulling it off after one day but im wondering what my options are.
Old 10-15-15, 09:14 AM
HanaleiISF
Pole Position

I've had the F-Sport for over a year now and still love hearing it everyday! Got a great price used on Ebay.
Old 10-15-15, 09:32 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

another thing i hadnt considered was the 8 speed box. Between 8 gears and torque converter lock ups it is CONSTANTLY changing tone. I guess i didnt realize how much hunting it actually did because it was so smooth in doing so.
Old 10-15-15, 11:09 AM
tx_is300
Pole Position

Get Tanabe axle back. It's little deeper than stock and more mellow sound if you don't like Joe Z. F Sport is bit more raspy compared to Tanabe. No drone. You can hear sample on you tube or Tanabe site. I have this bit added Tsudo mid pipe which made bug diff in more sound now which is very noticeable .
Old 10-26-15, 12:10 PM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could also look at the STILLEN

Old 10-26-15, 12:58 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

You have a cat back or axle back?
Old 10-27-15, 06:31 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by Rudiculous
You have a cat back or axle back?
just an axle back. The drone is loud enough that it negates one of the main reasons i bought the car which was to take conference calls from the road.
Old 10-27-15, 06:32 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Originally Posted by STILLEN

you should look into sending me one for a real world comparison video....

boring mid 30s businessmen could be your bread and butter market
Old 10-27-15, 10:45 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

Tanabe axle back
F sport axle back
Invidia axle back

From reading all through here, those are typically on the quieter side for axle backs
Old 10-27-15, 11:05 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

Tanabe axle back
F sport axle back
Invidia axle back

From reading all through here, those are typically on the quieter side for axle backs
i knew fsport was quieter was WAY overpriced.

videos were a bit misleading and rarely JUST an axle back. Trying to find a video of in cabin was damn near impossible

my other problem is that the wife will never let me live it down if i just spent $600 on an exhaust and had to buy another because i didnt like it.

My only chance is randomly finding someone locally who wants to swap after making the opposite decision.
Old 10-27-15, 03:14 PM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowrydr01
you should look into sending me one for a real world comparison video....

boring mid 30s businessmen could be your bread and butter market
I wish we could afford to do that.
Old 10-27-15, 03:35 PM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

Tanabe axle back
F sport axle back
Invidia axle back

you can add magnaflow to that list
Old 10-28-15, 11:38 AM
Rudiculous
Racer

videos were a bit misleading and rarely JUST an axle back. Trying to find a video of in cabin was damn near impossible

my other problem is that the wife will never let me live it down if i just spent $600 on an exhaust and had to buy another because i didnt like it.

My only chance is randomly finding someone locally who wants to swap after making the opposite decision.
I would've been but with us being across the country from the each other might not be best so good luck!
Old 11-01-15, 10:30 AM
Erkkkn808
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet it to just go back to your OEM exhaust. I just installed a cat back JoeZ exhaust on my 15' is350, no drone whatsoever. Its actually extremely quiet on the freeway at cruizing speeds, but can get really loud when you want it to. IMO the best exhaust out there, such an awesome "deep" growl. Idle sounds amazing inside the cabin as well... I just couldn't be happier.
I hear soooooo many people complain about drone! I personally feel that cabin drone is somewhat more like an "airplane feel" as if your flying an airplane and having that constant noise from the turbines. That s*#^t is just deafening. In no way does the JoeZ have any drone, cat or axle back. Its just the exhaust notes that you are hearing and those who are first time "aftermatket exhaust" drivers are very unfamiliar with the changes that an aftermarket exhaust may give. Changing your exhaust to any other exhaust....Tanabe, F sport, Stillen, etc will still give you that "drone" you are talking about. Maybe an exhaust just isnt for you. Just stick to an intake
Old 11-02-15, 05:53 AM
Snowrydr01
Driver

I usually dont respond to trolling like this but its just dumb enough to warrant it so here goes

Originally Posted by Erkkkn808
In no way does the JoeZ have any drone, cat or axle back. Its just the exhaust notes that you are hearing
this is wrong on multiple levels

first: in reasoning, saying that an exhuast doesnt have a drone and that its just the exhuast you are hearing is like saying a kick in the ***** does hurt, you are just feeling the pain after getting kicked in the *****.

If it was a higher pitch id describe it as a whirring, or a buzzing, but it is a constant audible noise at a low frequency AKA drone.

For goofs i ran a frequency analyzer this morning on the way in and on the highway was bouncing between 140-170hz when on throttle at all. Thats way to low for wind noise

second: that's not the exhaust you are hearing, that noise goes out of the tailpipe. What you are hearing in the cabin is a resonance though the exhuast system itself that then transmits itself through the bottom of the floor....especially at highway speeds.

Originally Posted by Erkkkn808
those who are first time "aftermatket exhaust" drivers are very unfamiliar with the changes that an aftermarket exhaust may give
i know the internet gives a lot of liberties with assumptions especially on an old person car like a lexus but this is again wrong. Ive had 15 years of exhuast on 3 4.0 wranglers all with different final drive ratios and varying tire sizes, an rx8 with both axle back and straight exhuast, and a single speed racing kart that is just open about 2 feet from my helmet......i know what exhaust sounds like.

What i think you were going for (poorly) was that an exhaust will always have SOME noise and everyone has a different expectation and tolerance for it. Similar to how some people will call the base radio good and audiophiles will call the ML terrible.

Now back on track i did notice the Joeyz was a heavier wall tube (heavier all around) then the stock, i am wondering it going cat back will actually reduce some of that cabin drone since the tubing wouldnt transmit the drone as easily?
The following users liked this post:
Vovchik (07-05-20)

Quick Reply: whats more mild then a Joey Z axle back?