Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OBX header

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 02:23 AM
tarekchaab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX header

While I am looking for a headers I found OBX it shows that it will fit models from 2006 to 2013 does anyone fitted it on 3is or it won't fit.

If anyone have them on his car please let us know if he faced problems with vsc & check engine.

And is there a difference between AWD & RWD?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1443172892
Old 09-25-15, 09:52 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about OBX Headers, but for PPE Engineering Headers, they are a direct swap from the previous 2nd gen. There's some differences in the o2 simulator wiring in comparison to the 2nd gen, but aside from that, is a direct swap.

Now regarding AWD to RWD, again PPE has two difference sets of headers that will fit each type respectively (most likely due to different clearance issues).
I don't know if OBX went this route either, but my first guess would be that no, AWD and RWD headers are probably not interchangeable.
Old 09-25-15, 10:17 AM
tarekchaab
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexSense
Not sure about OBX Headers, but for PPE Engineering Headers, they are a direct swap from the previous 2nd gen. There's some differences in the o2 simulator wiring in comparison to the 2nd gen, but aside from that, is a direct swap.

Now regarding AWD to RWD, again PPE has two difference sets of headers that will fit each type respectively (most likely due to different clearance issues).
I don't know if OBX went this route either, but my first guess would be that no, AWD and RWD headers are probably not interchangeable.
Thanks for your reply, so did anyone found a solution for the O2 sensor and did they face any problems with check engine or VSC?
Old 09-25-15, 10:28 AM
LexSense
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tarekchaab
Thanks for your reply, so did anyone found a solution for the O2 sensor and did they face any problems with check engine or VSC?
PPE Engineering has updated instructions for the o2 sim install in regards to the 3rd gen IS.

I'm still in the process of getting my PPE headers installed (waiting for the o2 extended wires to get in from USPS )

Some on the 3is has told me they got no CEL problems even without installing the o2 sims and I was like

I'll update as soon as I get my headers installed though.
(which looks to be next Friday at this rate)
Old 09-25-15, 12:34 PM
tarekchaab
Driver School Candidate

PPE Engineering has updated instructions for the o2 sim install in regards to the 3rd gen IS.

I'm still in the process of getting my PPE headers installed (waiting for the o2 extended wires to get in from USPS )

Some on the 3is has told me they got no CEL problems even without installing the o2 sims and I was like

I'll update as soon as I get my headers installed though.
(which looks to be next Friday at this rate)
Yes just let us know once you get the sensor and put it on your car, from where did you order the headers?
Old 09-25-15, 12:46 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Yes just let us know once you get the sensor and put it on your car, from where did you order the headers?
Got the headers used from a ClubLexus member
Old 09-25-15, 05:42 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Watching with interest ...... My headers are on order with PPE, I went the Stainless Steel with Black Ceramic Coating. Should look & sound smick!
Old 09-25-15, 07:06 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Got the headers used from a ClubLexus member
Can you feel a difference with the VR tune. LIkewise, with headers what changed. Im really on the fence about trading my girl in for an RCF or going deep down the mod hole with headers, tune ( vrr or RRM ), AirRide.....

I love the IS yet power seems to be an issue for many.
Old 09-25-15, 07:45 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB5674
Can you feel a difference with the VR tune. LIkewise, with headers what changed. Im really on the fence about trading my girl in for an RCF or going deep down the mod hole with headers, tune ( vrr or RRM ), AirRide.....

I love the IS yet power seems to be an issue for many.
The headers aren't in yet unfortunately (awaiting the extended o2 wires from PPE to get here).
I actually had the headers scheduled to go in today, but alas, stupid USPS let me down... so will have to wait for next Friday.

As for the Vivid Racing / VR Tuned flash module, it works to an extent. You can feel a good difference when you first flash it. The problem for me is that at about 700 or so miles, the power boost seems non-existent.

When I did a long term dyno awhile back, the dyno seems to confirm the decrease in power.

To make sure it wasn't all in my head, I even went as far as to go against the flashing instructions which tells you to pull the battery for 10 mins after a flash so the fuel trims can clear itself and relearn.

My argument is that if the flash stayed intact and the PCM/ECU did not relearn itself, then a reflash should make no difference. I've since reflashed several times (without pulling the battery to clear the memory) and boom everytime I flash around 700 or so miles, the power is back.

Hence why I say this product works to an extent.

Edit: also note that 700 miles is no magic number, sometimes its as early as 300-400 miles.
But 700 is about where the flash seems almost non-existent.
There seems to be a fair margin of unpredictability.

Last edited by LexSense; 09-25-15 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 09:35 PM
tarekchaab
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fooz
Watching with interest ...... My headers are on order with PPE, I went the Stainless Steel with Black Ceramic Coating. Should look & sound smick!
Is there a big difference in sound if you changed the OEM header manifold?, I found a lot of videos they are using PPE but the problem they have ARK or invidia catback.

Actually I don't want to increase the sound of my car for me the takeda air intake filter sound is enough for me .

For this reason i'm looking for ARK resonated catback but still afraidt o be louder than OEM.
Old 09-26-15, 05:35 PM
Fooz
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a big difference in sound if you changed the OEM header manifold?, I found a lot of videos they are using PPE but the problem they have ARK or invidia catback.

Actually I don't want to increase the sound of my car for me the takeda air intake filter sound is enough for me .

For this reason i'm looking for ARK resonated catback but still afraidt o be louder than OEM.
My previous car was similar with the precats in the engine pipes. These do act like mufflers & reduce the noise. I am expecting it to be louder but hopefully not droney.
Old 09-30-15, 08:57 AM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if headers are illegal in CA?
Old 09-30-15, 09:26 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^They certainly are. Headers remove the primary cats.

Lou
Old 10-04-15, 01:27 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Update on the PPE header install:

So as of Friday evening (2 days ago), the headers were successfully put in .

Pros: OMG, the hp and torque added by the headers are pretty amazing (butt dyno of course). I can spin Michelin PSS (265's) tires pretty easily now. The acceleration is quite noticeable (no throw you back in your seat feeling, but hey with the 8 speed auto's gearing - that's going to be pretty hard). 1st gear to 3rd gear pretty much fly's by and the whole exhaust seems like it breathes a lot more freely (still on stock exhaust by the way)

Cons: Bit of gas/rotten egg smell on a cold start (no primary cats :/), but after warming up, the smell is significantly reduced and almost non-existent.
Now the worst con is that there's a good amount of rasp when it's cold (none when idling) but at around 2k rpm's for the first couple of mins there's a good amount of metallic rattle noise through 3.5k rpms. After a few miles and warming up, the sound gets a lot quieter and more bearable. I'm not sure if this is normal though, the shop smoke tested for leaks and didn't find any.

CEL did come on and I cleared it twice just to have it come on again around 10 - 12 miles., (this was without installing the o2 conditioner box thingy).
So I went back to the shop the next day, paid some more $$$ and got the o2 conditioner box installed. CEL gone and hasn't came back for 30+ miles so far. *crosses fingers*

Overall thoughts, a great upgrade for performance! The raspy sound with the stock exhaust and midpipe, when cold, makes me want to grab an F-Sport exhaust to help drown out the sound though lol.
Old 10-06-15, 10:09 AM
tarekchaab
Driver School Candidate

Update on the PPE header install:

So as of Friday evening (2 days ago), the headers were successfully put in .

Pros: OMG, the hp and torque added by the headers are pretty amazing (butt dyno of course). I can spin Michelin PSS (265's) tires pretty easily now. The acceleration is quite noticeable (no throw you back in your seat feeling, but hey with the 8 speed auto's gearing - that's going to be pretty hard). 1st gear to 3rd gear pretty much fly's by and the whole exhaust seems like it breathes a lot more freely (still on stock exhaust by the way)

Cons: Bit of gas/rotten egg smell on a cold start (no primary cats :/), but after warming up, the smell is significantly reduced and almost non-existent.
Now the worst con is that there's a good amount of rasp when it's cold (none when idling) but at around 2k rpm's for the first couple of mins there's a good amount of metallic rattle noise through 3.5k rpms. After a few miles and warming up, the sound gets a lot quieter and more bearable. I'm not sure if this is normal though, the shop smoke tested for leaks and didn't find any.

CEL did come on and I cleared it twice just to have it come on again around 10 - 12 miles., (this was without installing the o2 conditioner box thingy).
So I went back to the shop the next day, paid some more $$$ and got the o2 conditioner box installed. CEL gone and hasn't came back for 30+ miles so far. *crosses fingers*

Overall thoughts, a great upgrade for performance! The raspy sound with the stock exhaust and midpipe, when cold, makes me want to grab an F-Sport exhaust to help drown out the sound though lol.
Great job and thanks for your feedback

Quick Reply: OBX header