Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Gas Mileage - Eco Vs. Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 03:05 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Namster
Not sure how you get this low for an IS250 or even worst than ISF. You should be getting 320-400 miles range. I get 385 miles for my IS250 and 340 miles for IS350 (all mix city 30% / highway 70% ). If all city driving, my 250 can get 320 miles and my 350 can get 285 miles.

Even ISF owners are getting the same or even better range than 250 miles.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...2012-is-f.html

To get optimum mpg, check your tire pressure, perform full synthetic oil change, clean air filter, put in premium gas, and change driving behavior. Reset the computer and you will see the difference.
I have a 350 and get about 22-23 mpg with 35/65 city/highway.
Old 10-12-15, 09:16 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I find that there is virtually no difference in ECO and Normal mode. So i don't even go on the ECO. So from my Normal to occasional SPORT+ I get about 19-21mpg in the city.
That did not apply to me.

I've gone a few road trips already.
The best MPG I've gotten from Normal on the highway was 24mpg.
ECO mode was the only way I've reached 28mpg on the highway.
Both were driving about 70mph.

Sports and Sports+ both use a lot of gas.
I usually switch between Eco and Sports+. For economical reasons and to save me from the police.
In Sports mode, the car is too willing, and I'm speeding all the time.
In Eco, it's like it's in sleepy mode... so it helps me drive relaxed. lol
Old 10-17-15, 08:06 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wsalas4
I really dont understand how ppl get 20+ miles.... I drive mostly city, and on normal mode i get 15mpg according to the computer... Normally a full tank around 230miles range before the light comes up... In sport usually around 13mpg... but man i wish i could reach 20 lol, i normally go highway but for 5 to 10 min and the other 20min are city. (I like to speed tho so can't complain and with the 250 you have to push it in order to get a bit of power /= ...)
2014 350 awd f sport and I average 24.2 according to computer. City and highway.
Old 10-18-15, 06:39 AM
phungy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For highway driving I have it on normal and Sport+ for city (I rarely use ECO mode). My highway commute varies from 19-31 minutes depending on which office I'm working at however the MPG I get is 29.6-31.7. City driving gets as low as 18 as I take back roads and avoid major streets that will cause me to brake constantly.

I've attached the Trip Information for one of my commutes that shows the elapsed time and MPG for the past 15 mins. The roads here in Texas aren't all downhill, some small inclines and declines.

Car is stock, taken to local Lexus dealership for every maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails Gas Mileage - Eco Vs. Sport Mode-img_4560.jpg  
Old 10-19-15, 11:26 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

i don't really see a difference in mpg's between the 2 modes. eco will trim off how fast you accelerate, and shift earlier, and maybe other things, but doesn't reduce any power. the mpg's should be negligible.

a bigger difference would be how heavy your foot is
Old 10-21-15, 02:45 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by audioqueso
That did not apply to me.

I've gone a few road trips already.
The best MPG I've gotten from Normal on the highway was 24mpg.
ECO mode was the only way I've reached 28mpg on the highway.
Both were driving about 70mph.

Sports and Sports+ both use a lot of gas.
I usually switch between Eco and Sports+. For economical reasons and to save me from the police.
In Sports mode, the car is too willing, and I'm speeding all the time.
In Eco, it's like it's in sleepy mode... so it helps me drive relaxed. lol
From what I understand, the Eco mode only changes gears faster in the lower rpm and makes the acceleration less sensitive. There is no power difference nor additional gas injected to the engine. Its purely car running in higher rpm in normal or sports mode So for highway driving alone, you would not see any changes in MPG.
I get about 24-30 in normal mode on my is350 on the highway, but I do 90% city driving and averaging about 21 in the normal mode.
Old 10-21-15, 08:13 PM
audioqueso
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be. However, I've tried it quite a few times already on several road trips.
Full tank, cleared the counter, noted the mileage, ECO mode. Refilled during the highway. Recorded MPG and did the actual math as well.
On the trip back, I tried it with Normal mode. Same exact roads, distance... the math still shows that Normal is using more.

I use to drive in Sports+ and just hit the **** to change it back to Normal whenever on a cruising mode. The MPG never changed until I started driving in Sports+ and switching it Eco instead. That's when I decided to start doing a few road trips to really test it out and see for myself.

Then again, I did buy it from Japan (since I live here). It's not entirely the same as the US model. Tuned tighter, about 10 extra hp, difference emissions.. the Eco mode in the Japanese models could be doing something a little more aggressive. Who knows.
Old 11-05-15, 09:42 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

so since last time we talked I have been driving only on ECO mode for my daily commute exception to couple long highway drives.

I was getting 21-22 mpg in city alone in eco mode. It went up to 26 mpg mainly due to the long highway driving (70 city/30 highway) but it is now at 23 miles and its slowly going down (losing 0.1 mpg everyday).

In conclusion, I'm getting approximately 1-2 mpg more with ECO mode vs normal mode. Is it worth it? probably not. But it definitely makes the ride quality more comfortable. I wouldn't recommend using ECO-mode on mountain roads any areas with hills since it will not down shift to right gears.
Old 11-16-15, 06:54 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Update on my Eco mode mpg.

So it has been exactly a month since I've been using Eco mode and I am now even out at 22.3 mpg. it does not go any lower or higher than that. This is driving on city roughly (95% city/5% highway).

I'll conduct a another experiment to see exactly what i would get with normal and sport mode.
Old 03-12-16, 09:58 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming from a 2011 Mini Cooper turbo 4 cyl. my wife is complaining about her mpg's and how low she was getting out of a tank. She drives in heavy city traffic daily and she said she gets about 14 mpg. I asked her which mode does she drive in and she said sport. I haven't driven it much but when I do I try to drive in every mode.

From what I gather is if your speed constantly varies between 15 to 35 mph in city traffic or long boring trips Eco mode will probably be the most fuel efficient.
If your speed averages above 30 to 70+ mph Sport seems to be efficient enough and still give an enjoyable commute.
If you're out to just joy ride, have some fun or simply don't give a *** about mpg's Sport + is for you!