Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2010 IS250 - Super Early Upshifting Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 08:30 AM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 IS250 - Super Early Upshifting Transmission

Hi guys,

first post here. And sorry if this has been discussed already and I was unable to find it - I just bought a 2010 IS250 and I feel like the transmission is shifting so early that there may be something wrong with it. I guess I'm looking to get your input on that and hopefully there's nothing wrong with the car and it is the nature of the beast.

I'm coming from an Infiniti G35 - much larger engine, sports tuned car. That could be part of the reason why I'm a bit alarmed. But for example - on surface streets the transmission selects 5 gear at 35 m/h, then I'm in 6th by the time I reach 40 and that's while the tachometer is showing sub 1600 rpm which I feel is not high enough to carry the car though the acceleration properly. Does that seem normal? I mean the car seems to avoid using 3rd and 4th gear all together. It does use them of course but I don't think I can make it stick to 3rd for example in any cruising speed. It wants to upshift all the time.

Before you ask, no, I don't have a heavy foot, I am a rather passive style driver but compared to my old Infiniti which picked the gear so the RPM sticks around 2K RPM even with extremely passive driving, the Lexus just feels like it is overdoing it.

Your thoughts?
Old 06-03-14, 12:02 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yeah, so right off the bat you'll seriously be noticing the lack of power at all rpms; that's just something you'll have to get use to. Should have test drove an IS350, which would have been a much easier transition.

Now onto the trans "issue"; the car learns your driving style. So that now the car only knows how the previous owner drove that car, it's time you show it who's boss. Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, and reconnect; that will have forced the car to reset all systems and force it to re-learn YOUR driving habits and shift points and such.
Old 06-03-14, 12:21 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^Gville350 got it right. Reset the ecu and let the car relearn to your driving habit.
Old 06-03-14, 12:31 PM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Okay cool, I can do that. Doesn't bother me really if this is normal for this car, I can also adjust to it. Was just a little concerned that something was off. Many thanks!
Old 06-03-14, 05:13 PM
Gville350

After disconnecting the battery you'll lose the "express" roll-down feature on all of the windows until you reset them...so don't freak out. Simply roll the window all of the way down and hold for a few seconds, then roll back up and hold for a few seconds. Do that on each door on it's own window switch (NOT the master driver controls) and then you'll regain control of the express roll-down function from the driver's master switch controls.
Old 06-04-14, 06:22 AM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

I didn't even know I had that
Old 06-06-14, 11:45 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rather than removing the battery cable, you can do the following:
Make sure the ignition is turned off
Remove the engine bay fuse box cover
Remove the 20Amp/25Amp EFI fuse
Remove the 15Amp ETCS fuse
Wait around a minute
Re-insert the two fuses
Install the fuse box cover

Boom and you're done. You will not have any memory loss or the issue with the windows.
Old 06-09-14, 06:13 AM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I did it by removing the battery already. Same thing, I'm just going to have to get used to my weird shifting transmission. I feel like it's programed the wrong way. If I'm going down a hill, it holds each gear and upshifts way late and then if I'm climbing a hill it upshifts super early so the climb takes for ever. It's totally backwards. It gives me power when I don't need it at all and takes it away when I do.
Old 06-09-14, 07:52 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ when you disconnected the battery, did you wait around 5 to 10 mins? If you did and it still didn't change.........maybe thats how the is250 is.
Old 06-09-14, 12:46 PM
Gville350

Perhaps a visit to the local dealership and a good explaination or video of the trans actions would help. I took a Go-Pro vid of my NAV unit acting up and took it to the dealership. The vid (they said) helped ALOT...though all they ended up saying is I needed a new NAV unit.

GL!
Old 06-09-14, 01:16 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt it's something wrong with your car. This car frustrates me a lot as well. The pedal is soft. you need to press it a lot to make it go up in RPM and yes it changes the gear very fast maybe for better gas mileage.
My solution is to drive in PWM all the time. I never turn off that. It makes it a bit better. See if that help you.
Old 06-09-14, 03:09 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another alternative is to use the fake paddle shifter which is actually gear limiter and limit your gear to 3rd, 4th or whatever gear you want. You probably need to put this in sport mode first.

On the IS250 2012 version, I can engage the gear limiter without the use of sport mode. I usually just tap the gear limiter to downshift (not technically correct but you know what i mean) when I need some power to pass someone and then upshift (again not technically correct) to 6th. After 10 seconds, the gear limiter automatically goes away.

Another benefit of that gear limiter is that, I can hold the gear going downhill so i don't need to use brake too much but I don't recommend doing this because this might put stress on the transmission. I like to hold lower gear going uphill though because I then have more power than higher gear.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine.

Last edited by FSportIS; 06-09-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 03:45 PM
Batistuta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I doubt it's something wrong with your car. This car frustrates me a lot as well. The pedal is soft. you need to press it a lot to make it go up in RPM and yes it changes the gear very fast maybe for better gas mileage.
My solution is to drive in PWM all the time. I never turn off that. It makes it a bit better. See if that help you.
It does help. In fact, it feels like what I imagine the car should feel like in the first place. I'm still unsure if driving it this way full time causes more stress on the tranny and engine or not. If I know or sure it doesn't, I would.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Another alternative is to use the fake paddle shifter which is actually gear limiter and limit your gear to 3rd, 4th or whatever gear you want. You probably need to put this in sport mode first.

On the IS250 2012 version, I can engage the gear limiter without the use of sport mode. I usually just tap the gear limiter to downshift (not technically correct but you know what i mean) when I need some power to pass someone and then upshift (again not technically correct) to 6th. After 10 seconds, the gear limiter automatically goes away.

Another benefit of that gear limiter is that, I can hold the gear going downhill so i don't need to use brake too much but I don't recommend doing this because this might put stress on the transmission. I like to hold lower gear going uphill though because I then have more power than higher gear.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the engine.
I don't wanna abuse the car, I just wished it wasn't so overly conservative tuned. It the gearing is just so damn passive, it feels like it is broke.
Old 06-12-14, 04:51 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I think you misunderstood my intention. I was not telling you to abuse the car lol. I was explaining that the gear limiter (fake paddle shifter) might do the functions you were looking for--holding the lower gear to get the power when needed.

Also, you mentioned that you don't want to drive it hard, then just let the auto transmission doing the smooth shifting. Staying in higher gear at lower RPM is part of the transmission being efficient in saving fuel and also offer comfort and quietness.

I don't think it is passive, the IS350 (more powerful) transmission shifting is like the IS250 too, it is designed to be efficient. If you want the power all the times, you can use the "Power mode" which tends to stay on lower gear more and the fake pedal shifter can also let you control the highest gear you can stay in. If you want to stay in 2nd gear, just downshift it to 2nd and you have power all you want.

In autocross for example, I max the gear at 2nd gear so the transmission never exceed that and I have power constantly in 1st and 2nd gear.

Last edited by FSportIS; 06-12-14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 04:59 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Now i get to ask you this: Why would you want to stay in lower gear at higher RPM when you want to drive passively?

Quick Reply: 2010 IS250 - Super Early Upshifting Transmission