Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Joe Z Intake / Joe Z Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 09:47 AM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Joe Z Intake / Joe Z Pipe

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and keep hearing "Joe Z Intake" and "Joe Z Pipe".
Can someone please clarify as to what these are exactly? I am pretty knowledgeable with cars so I understand what an intake is and all that stuff, but what exactly is the Joe Z Model?

Also, does anyone know which other years' intakes would fit on my 2014 IS250?
Old 05-08-14, 04:04 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing. Joe z intake is a pipe. You mount it instead of the plastic pipe and keep the factory airbox. The problem is you also get rid of your sound amplifier on the stock intake, so the car will be silent.
Old 05-08-14, 05:14 PM
hovik92
Driver

So changing to the Joe Z intake actually reduces sound?
Old 05-08-14, 06:36 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

It does...Because instead of having the intake air go through the factory sound amplifier pipe (extra pipe on the side of the intake tube http://www.sensethecar.com/wp-conten...ior-Engine.jpg) it'll now be contained inside of an aluminum tube and sound muffled. Sounds like driving a prius to me. Not to diss the joe z intake, I'm sure it made some difference on the 2IS as that's the car it was designed for, but with our intakes having the extra sound pipe coming out of it, it's hard to beat that sound unless you go shortram and take your chances with the engine light.
Old 05-08-14, 07:19 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Talking No diss taken...

^^ Sorry we were more focused on direct air flow performance...

Not sound created by a faux sound generator...

We can reengineer the pipe to install the "Sound Creator".. But I don't see the benefits of re routing air flow further away from where we want it to go.. The Throttle Body

Once a quality exhaust is installed, intake sound becomes irrelevant..

~ Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
Sirlexur (03-23-23)
Old 05-08-14, 07:28 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Sure thing, but aren't we talking strictly sound here? It's a great looking pipe, especially in blue! but on this current gen lexus it is much quieter than stock, in fact, nearly silent, and that is what I wanted to inform the OP about.

P.S. if you made it to be like stock to be able to mount the sound pipe onto it, then what would be the difference/point of changing the intake? The airflow will still be interrupted which is the sole purpose of the joe z pipe...
Old 05-08-14, 07:29 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Sorry we were more focused on direct air flow performance...

Not sound created by a faux sound generator...

We can reengineer the pipe to install the "Sound Creator".. But I don't see the benefits of re routing air flow further away from where we want it to go.. The Throttle Body

Once a quality exhaust is installed, intake sound becomes irrelevant..

~ Joe Z
Joe,

Please do not ruin a performance intake for the sake of noise. Just my thoughts now.

Larry
Old 05-08-14, 07:48 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by Larry96815
Joe,

Please do not ruin a performance intake for the sake of noise. Just my thoughts now.

Larry

^^^ Agreed... Thank You Larry..!!

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Sure thing, but aren't we talking strictly sound here? It's a great looking pipe, especially in blue! but on this current gen lexus it is much quieter than stock, in fact, nearly silent, and that is what I wanted to inform the OP about.

P.S. if you made it to be like stock to be able to mount the sound pipe onto it, then what would be the difference/point of changing the intake? The airflow will still be interrupted which is the sole purpose of the joe z pipe...
^^ Yes, I guess we can say that... In every post about it, you strictly bring up the sound or lack their of..

FWIW, we have no plans to change a perfectly working design..

But we do appreciate all feedback & opinions on product functionality..

Best Regards,

~ Joe Z
Old 05-08-14, 07:54 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

because people ask if it's louder/quieter than stock. I give them solid facts, nothing more nothing less. And these gains you constantly mention, if one cannot feel any gains, why even mention it? While sound is something you can definitely appreciate. Anyway, not here to argue. I'm here to share my experience with whatever mods people inquire about.
Old 05-08-14, 08:56 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
because people ask if it's louder/quieter than stock. I give them solid facts, nothing more nothing less. And these gains you constantly mention, if one cannot feel any gains, why even mention it? While sound is something you can definitely appreciate. Anyway, not here to argue. I'm here to share my experience with whatever mods people inquire about.
And I do appreciate it....

Rest assure the intake pipe gains of 4-5 rwhp are there.. We didn't release the intake based on looks alone..

It's been independently dyno proven over and over and over since the original launch back in 2006...

TRD liked it so much, they released their version of it in 2008 via FSport.

I always to my best to educate people as well.. Sound does not always equal HP..

There are plenty of other intakes that sound badass on the IS250 / IS350.
Side effects are usually CEL, loss of torque, worse MPG, sucks in hot engine bay air..
Etc..Etc...

Best Regards.,

Joe Z
Old 05-08-14, 09:55 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

I don't doubt those numbers for a second. I meant that you cannot feel 4-5 whp in your seat unless you're a robot. And the sound of the intake is what actually makes a huge difference mod-wise. Let's just agree on these facts: Your intake produces the most gains there is for an intake, period; and the joe z pipe is also the quietest intake for the 3IS (for 2IS that's a different story). Those looking for hp gains should not look any further and get the joe z intake. And those who want to increase the sound of their car should look elsewhere as this intake will literally silence it to prius sound levels. That's all there is to say.
Old 05-09-14, 07:52 AM
Kybball#1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shadd, go get you a Joe Z intake and throw the full JoeZ exhaust on it and see if you even give a **** about "how" intake sounds.. That combo is the most beautiful sound this V6 can make....
Old 05-09-14, 08:49 AM
hovik92
Driver

Thanks a lot to everyone for helping my dilemma, since mine is a IS250, I'm not going too much for the horsepower gain. For right now, I'm just trying to get a nice growl out of it. After I install some wheels and a nice drop, then I'll probably buy a nice intake/header/exhaust setup to get some power out of it.

Again, thanks to all for the help! CL is seriously the most helpful forum I've ever been a part of!
Old 05-10-14, 02:17 PM
TopShelfCo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Z intake on my 3IS F-Sport

Great quality pipe, good fitment, and also a nice cosmetic/dress-up part for the engine bay. Combined mine with a K&N drop-in panel filter

Joe Z Intake / Joe Z Pipe-20140508_175124.jpg

Joe Z Intake / Joe Z Pipe-20140508_212043.jpg

Joe Z Intake / Joe Z Pipe-20140510_133121.jpg

Joe Z Intake / Joe Z Pipe-img_20140510_131015.jpg
Old 05-10-14, 03:07 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Yeah the quality is definitely amazing and it looks great. I have the blue version. But I get really bored with my car if it's quiet, to the point of not caring about it anymore. So i installed my takeda again, did a proper ecu reset procedure, i hope it works this time without any CEL's

Quick Reply: Joe Z Intake / Joe Z Pipe