Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

More Intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-14, 01:03 AM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Intake questions

I notice everyone lean toward GReddy, Takeda or Injen but not much mention of K&N Typhoon system. May I ask why?

Aloha
Old 05-04-14, 09:15 AM
JCWong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry96815
I notice everyone lean toward GReddy, Takeda or Injen but not much mention of K&N Typhoon system. May I ask why?

Aloha
GReddy and Takeda are literally from the same factory, just different labels on the finished product (from what I've gathered from other users on the forum). Injen I heard caused some engine light problems to a few. I'm personally going with a K&N short ram since it's locally accessible and I have hook ups to lower the cost
Old 05-04-14, 11:12 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

is there a K&N shortram intake for the 2014 IS ? Please post a link to where you found it, I'd be interested too. Takeda/Greddy also cause engine light issues, just not as common.
Old 05-04-14, 12:04 PM
JCWong
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
is there a K&N shortram intake for the 2014 IS ? Please post a link to where you found it, I'd be interested too. Takeda/Greddy also cause engine light issues, just not as common.
engine code is exactly the same as the 2IS, any 2006-2013 IS350 intake system will work for the 3IS without a problem
Old 05-04-14, 12:13 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Yeah, it'll cause the engine light on my car again...No point going from takeda to another one that's exactly the same. I'll just try the K&N filter first with the stock intake.
Old 05-04-14, 08:59 PM
YoMushi
Driver School Candidate

i have a takeda and havent had any engine light. is it a known issue? how to did u fix it?
Old 05-06-14, 04:18 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Some people have it, some don't. You fix it by reinstalling the stock intake and unplugging the battery to reset the light.

Anyway, I got the K&N filter installed on the stock intake, the sound has not changed much at all. Don't know what some people are talking about saying it became louder. I can confirm that it did not. At least not enough to justify the cost of the filter which was about 70 bucks.
Old 05-06-14, 04:27 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Some people have it, some don't. You fix it by reinstalling the stock intake and unplugging the battery to reset the light.

Anyway, I got the K&N filter installed on the stock intake, the sound has not changed much at all. Don't know what some people are talking about saying it became louder. I can confirm that it did not. At least not enough to justify the cost of the filter which was about 70 bucks.
On my 06 IS 350 I had the K&N drop in and the Joe Z pipe. The two together made more noise and about 50 hp......... well, at least more noise. Remember too that the 06 did not have the sound generator on the stock intake.
Old 05-06-14, 05:55 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

as a last resort i will try my joe z pipe again with this, who knows. Right now the car is so quiet it's borderline boring to drive compared to the takeda which was a blast and way too addicting, even at low rpm. Damn engine light !
Old 05-08-14, 04:06 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Alright, just installed the Joe Z intake again, using it with the K&N filter. The sound has not changed one bit, the car is still dead quiet. I'm officially done with this intake quest. The best is takeda/greddy, hands down. If only it didn't throw an engine code...
Old 05-08-14, 04:13 PM
daobn24
Pole Position

Have you try cutting the lower box?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ntake-box.html
Old 05-08-14, 05:15 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Has anyone that tried the K&N Typhoon had a CEL? Just curious.
Old 05-08-14, 06:24 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

The same guy who cut a hole in his intake box said it didn't make much difference...

So far, just to recap, here are some observations and conclusions...

1) Stock intake plus K&N filter - only slightly louder than the paper factory filter, not noticeable enough for the price. No difference in throttle response or anything like that to speak of.

2) Joe Z intake - great quality, etc. Performance wise, no noticeable gain. Much quieter than stock. Coupled with a k&n filter it makes absolutely no difference in sound.

3) Cutting a hole in the stock airbox...Potentially increases sound. Not a good idea since it'll introduce warm air from the engine bay which defeats the purpose of the box altogether, might as well just take it out completely.

4) Takeda & Greddy (same exact intakes made by one company - aFe): Best sounding so far. No performance gains to be noticed. Throttle response is the same overall. But the sound alone will make you forget about any gains because it's intoxicating. Note: Causes some cars to throw engine codes, mainly running too lean and misfire in one of the cylinders. Will try this intake one more time just to be sure.
Old 05-08-14, 06:53 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

The same guy who cut a hole in his intake box said it didn't make much difference...

So far, just to recap, here are some observations and conclusions...

1) Stock intake plus K&N filter - only slightly louder than the paper factory filter, not noticeable enough for the price. No difference in throttle response or anything like that to speak of.

2) Joe Z intake - great quality, etc. Performance wise, no noticeable gain. Much quieter than stock. Coupled with a k&n filter it makes absolutely no difference in sound.

3) Cutting a hole in the stock airbox...Potentially increases sound. Not a good idea since it'll introduce warm air from the engine bay which defeats the purpose of the box altogether, might as well just take it out completely.

4) Takeda & Greddy (same exact intakes made by one company - aFe): Best sounding so far. No performance gains to be noticed. Throttle response is the same overall. But the sound alone will make you forget about any gains because it's intoxicating. Note: Causes some cars to throw engine codes, mainly running too lean and misfire in one of the cylinders. Will try this intake one more time just to be sure.
Now on to the K&N Typhoon. Might as well try them all! Just kidding. Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-08-14, 07:53 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Great Feedback thread..!!

Thanks All

Quick Reply: More Intake questions