Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got my 98 GS400 on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 03:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Apexi Neo is a great mod for bone stock up to full bolt-ons. You will gain at least 15whp on a bone stock car and up around 20whp with some bolt-ons. I had mine professionally tuned. IMO headers are great too and yield similar results but it costs much more because the install is so expensive. The Neo alters the A/F signal from the car's ECU to the engine creating more power. Typically, cars run really rich (a lot of fuel) from the factory; our cars especially. So even without any mods, you can tune the AFRs and lean it out at specified RPMs...making more power and perhaps even burning less fuel! As you add more mods you could/should re-tune for optimal performance.

Headers with install can easily cost $1200. The Neo with a Boomslang harness can cost around $700 max. I highly recommend it. With all the power mods and drivetrain mods in my sig my car really felt and moved like a 400hp (@crank) car...a blast to drive. Good luck

Originally Posted by Sampak
Hey Rock, curious since you mentioned the Apexi Neo -- I've read of users with this device over the years on car modding and never quite understood if it 'works' or how it works with respect to N/A tuning. I'm a complete newb as far as advanced tuning and only know the basic theories on exhaust/intake...

How 'difficult' is it vs. cost benefit for example if I were to use it on my car as it sits (Muffler delete). Or is intake at least recommended to get anything out of it? Can it be used to 'fine tune' a stock-ish car? Any dangers (other than screwing up far too lean of course). I've seen folks get decent 5-10% increase in WHP so I'm just curious what I can do without blowing up the engine. I'm thinking of actually getting a custom mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust or at least some similarly effective cheap aftermarket bits (y-pipe, axlebacks) and get rid of the old triple resonators and 'custom' muffler delete hodge podge my car currently came with, in the future.

Also, headers -- seems like a good bit of $$$$ but I take it it's got the biggest kick in the can if that is all I did? Any emission issues?
Old 05-01-14, 03:36 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
The Apexi Neo is a great mod for bone stock up to full bolt-ons. You will gain at least 15whp on a bone stock car and up around 20whp with some bolt-ons. I had mine professionally tuned. IMO headers are great too and yield similar results but it costs much more because the install is so expensive. The Neo alters the A/F signal from the car's ECU to the engine creating more power. Typically, cars run really rich (a lot of fuel) from the factory; our cars especially. So even without any mods, you can tune the AFRs and lean it out at specified RPMs...making more power and perhaps even burning less fuel! As you add more mods you could/should re-tune for optimal performance.

Headers with install can easily cost $1200. The Neo with a Boomslang harness can cost around $700 max. I highly recommend it. With all the power mods and drivetrain mods in my sig my car really felt and moved like a 400hp (@crank) car...a blast to drive. Good luck
Nice! Thanks for the info. $700 is a bit up there for 1 mod but I suppose it's something a bit more results oriented than a $700 cat-back with muffler bearings and +20hp stickers.

And going by your dyno figures, you're definitely up in the 360hp crank at the very least. Not bad at all!