Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Takeda intake issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 03:56 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Takeda intake issue

Hey guys, installed a takeda intake a few days ago. I notice there is a slight hiss/whistle to it when cruising and barely pressing gas, occurs only briefly, about 10-20% throttle. I checked everything is tight. Not sure if this is normal and coming from the filter, or is there a leak? Also has anyone heard the tin can sound around redline? Like a really hollow sound of rattle cans that occurs briefly right around 6-7k rpm. I'm guessing that's normal for short ram aluminum intakes ? Other than that, I can only say good things about this intake. The car feels smoother when shifting 2nd to 3rd gears and sounds amazing.
Old 01-31-14, 11:08 AM
RayG
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShaddix
Hey guys, installed a takeda intake a few days ago. I notice there is a slight hiss/whistle to it when cruising and barely pressing gas, occurs only briefly, about 10-20% throttle. I checked everything is tight. Not sure if this is normal and coming from the filter, or is there a leak? Also has anyone heard the tin can sound around redline? Like a really hollow sound of rattle cans that occurs briefly right around 6-7k rpm. I'm guessing that's normal for short ram aluminum intakes ? Other than that, I can only say good things about this intake. The car feels smoother when shifting 2nd to 3rd gears and sounds amazing.
the whistle is normal i have a short ram and it doe the same especially with colder weather
Old 02-04-14, 08:13 AM
Arioch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installing my Takeda this weekend, I'll let you know if i hear any anomalies. Had one of my TL it worked great.
Old 02-05-14, 12:54 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Actually I'm in the process of trying out the Joe Z intake. I felt some loss of torque with the takeda when downshifting and going full throttle, as if the car needs a second to get some air. It has lost that instant torque feel that it had. I didn't have that issue with the stock setup. Also, the rattly can sound at high rpm is becoming a bit too much.
Old 02-05-14, 05:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

No hissing or rattling sounds at any rev range/throttle input with my Takeda. I have the 250.
Old 02-05-14, 06:24 PM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Either you're not as picky, or your 250 isn't prone to rattly intake sounds. But mine is doing that, plus weird torque issues. Initially I really liked this intake, but now that I'm used to the cool sound, the little annoying things are outweighing the benefits (which is only the sound). I'll try the Joe z pipe with the stock airbox, if that is too quiet, I'll just get an exhaust instead.
Old 02-12-14, 09:30 PM
infin8ti
Driver School Candidate

Actually I'm in the process of trying out the Joe Z intake. I felt some loss of torque with the takeda when downshifting and going full throttle, as if the car needs a second to get some air. It has lost that instant torque feel that it had. I didn't have that issue with the stock setup. Also, the rattly can sound at high rpm is becoming a bit too much.
Let me know how it goes. I'm debating between the Takeda and the JoeZ intake as well.
Old 02-13-14, 02:25 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Don't get the takeda intake, on mine one of the rubber couplers just got torn in half. What a joke... Never even heard of these intakes before. Always just went with Greddy/HKS and never had a single issue. Seems like the couplers are made of really soft silicone. I'd give Greddy a try for sure. The joe z pipe comes with heavy duty couplers which have reinforcing threads sewn in, i doubt those would ever tear like the takeda ones did. I will post my experience when I finally get to installing the Joe z pipe (this weekend)
Old 02-13-14, 09:48 AM
atomic350
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't get the takeda intake, on mine one of the rubber couplers just got torn in half. What a joke... Never even heard of these intakes before. Always just went with Greddy/HKS and never had a single issue. Seems like the couplers are made of really soft silicone. I'd give Greddy a try for sure. The joe z pipe comes with heavy duty couplers which have reinforcing threads sewn in, i doubt those would ever tear like the takeda ones did. I will post my experience when I finally get to installing the Joe z pipe (this weekend)
Wow I can't believe the couplers started tearing like that already. I noticed mine were really soft too and not as thick as it should be. Now I'm glad i took mine off and went with F-sport intake pipe. The couplers on F-sport were very sturdy compared to Takeda....
Old 02-14-14, 04:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^Mine has sounded a tiny bit buzzy lately at open throttle in the upper rev range, but thought it was just the denser colder air in sub-freezing temps these days. I'll be checking mine for any tears.
Old 02-15-14, 08:00 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Here's mine, 4-months in. No visible tears or issues.
Attached Thumbnails Takeda intake issue-takeda1.jpg  
Old 02-20-14, 11:40 AM
TheShaddix
Pole Position

Sure man, rub it in And mine has a torn coupler... Anyway, installed my joe z intake over the weekend. Here are my impressions.........

First off, the car became practically silent, way quieter than the stock f sport intake past 4k rpm, and about the same below that. There is no sound whatsoever from the motor now other than some air.
However! The promises of throttle response and smoothness were no joke. The car now shifts faster in every gear. The hesitation it had before where it would take time to get into the gear, now it's nearly instant. The downshifts seem smoother too. To be fair, it's most likely the only intake that gives any kind of performance gain. But I do miss that sound I had with the Takeda. Yes, it was annoyingly rattly near redline, but the low end growl was priceless. Now I feel like I'm driving a prius, all the fun has gone out the window. The only way to understand what I mean is to have one, then take one off, replace it with something silent like the joe z intake, and realize that you'd rather lose power, if anything, but gain that lovely sound, than to drive a camry with 5 whp extra which no one (realistically) will be able to notice in any practical application. I'm keeping it for now to see if a new exhaust would relieve this boredom, but seriously considering switching back to short ram, this time gonna go with Greddy. The sound is addicting and you don't even have to drive aggressively to hear it. On the other hand, I do like the quicker shifts now. I'm hoping they can be attributed to the intake somehow and not just from unplugging the battery and the ecu readjusting. So far I've driven about 400 miles on the new intake, 400 very quiet, soothing miles that put one to sleep, and when I wake up, I wonder why I even wasted money and got an fsport version of the IS if it now sounds like a standard IS.

Last edited by TheShaddix; 02-20-14 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 11:59 AM
salvadorik
Lead Lap

Sure man, rub it in And mine has a torn coupler... Anyway, installed my joe z intake over the weekend. Here are my impressions.........

First off, the car became practically silent, way quieter than the stock f sport intake past 4k rpm, and about the same below that. There is no sound whatsoever from the motor now other than some air.
However! The promises of throttle response and smoothness were no joke. The car now shifts faster in every gear. The hesitation it had before where it would take time to get into the gear, now it's nearly instant. The downshifts seem smoother too. To be fair, it's most likely the only intake that gives any kind of performance gain. But I do miss that sound I had with the Takeda. Yes, it was annoyingly rattly near redline, but the low end growl was priceless. Now I feel like I'm driving a prius, all the fun has gone out the window. The only way to understand what I mean is to have one, then take one off, replace it with something silent like the joe z intake, and realize that you'd rather lose power, if anything, but gain that lovely sound, than to drive a camry with 5 whp extra which no one (realistically) will be able to notice in any practical application. I'm keeping it for now to see if a new exhaust would relieve this boredom, but seriously considering switching back to short ram, this time gonna go with Greddy. The sound is addicting and you don't even have to drive aggressively to hear it. On the other hand, I do like the quicker shifts now. I'm hoping they can be attributed to the intake somehow and not just from unplugging the battery and the ecu readjusting. So far I've driven about 400 miles on the new intake, 400 very quiet, soothing miles that put one to sleep, and when I wake up, I wonder why I even wasted money and got an fsport version of the IS if it now sounds like a standard IS.
Thanks for your update. Hey man, did Joe Z intake eliminate the annoying metallic whine?
Old 02-20-14, 01:02 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi TheShaddix,

In the past I have had K&N drop in filters in many different cars. If you want a difference in sound and "maybe" a slight performance gain you might try that with the Joe Z intake.

Aloha,
Larry
Old 02-20-14, 01:15 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Great post...

I'm sure the exhaust will help in that additional sound your looking for...

But words to live by.. "Sound alone does not always equal HP... "

Glad to hear the intake is working as designed ..

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: Takeda intake issue