Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 04:33 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Sigh. Are you guys just in your own world in this thread? I think Gville350 has stated what we all know...
What are you trying to accomplish? You aren't going to run more than 8psi on the stock fuel system. I dare you to WOT 8lbs and unplug your knock sensors. LMAO

The solution is to allow the stock ecu to control direct injection...DI and PI up to 7.5psi then add in your MAPECU2 and control add-on injectors that are boost activated. Work with the car up to 7psi then start trying to tune after that. You will NOT accomplish this with a full standalone and DI.
Old 12-11-13, 06:46 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
This morning I went to a local shop called racers edge tuning and they recommended I run an AEM standalone fuel management system. Is there any other reputable brands of standalone systems that I should look into running for this twin turbo setup.
Did they even know or were told your motor was direct AND port injection? Have you checked the pricing for such systems capable or running this motor? NOT CHEAP. You're best bet is running a factory fuel/tune at 7ish PSI. Anything more than that and you're at IS350 + S/C setup + standalone = IS-F price.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but please start reading up on previous S/C setup threads.
Old 12-11-13, 09:01 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly I have not fully read any supercharger threads. I should have started there as that is the only type of forced induction that has been explored on our cars. I don't know what to expect as far as hp/tq gains but I wasn't ever planning on running more that 6-7 psi. I'll be doing more reading on the supercharger threads.

I contacted "Godspeed" this morning and told them about my project and they decided to offer me a sponsorship deal on all the hardware I needed. After work I picked up 2 T3 .48 turbos with 8lb internal waste gates, oil fittings, flanges, clamps, greddy blow off valve and a dual core intercooler (2inlets and 1 outlet).
Attached Thumbnails Rear Turbo.-image-315410585.jpg   Rear Turbo.-image-3875987606.jpg  
Old 12-12-13, 06:37 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Honestly I have not fully read any supercharger threads. I should have started there as that is the only type of forced induction that has been explored on our cars. I don't know what to expect as far as hp/tq gains but I wasn't ever planning on running more that 6-7 psi. I'll be doing more reading on the supercharger threads.

I contacted "Godspeed" this morning and told them about my project and they decided to offer me a sponsorship deal on all the hardware I needed. After work I picked up 2 T3 .48 turbos with 8lb internal waste gates, oil fittings, flanges, clamps, greddy blow off valve and a dual core intercooler (2inlets and 1 outlet).
Looks like you just committed, congrats! Start a build thread here so we can keep up with your progress!

What kind of flanges are on those turbos hotside (I read T3 but how about outlet)? You may want to go vband to make your bends less extreme and save you ground clearance as well
Old 12-12-13, 06:54 AM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

I forgot to mention that I'll be using the v bands. They're inside the 2 little white boxes in the pics. Today I'll be doing some more research as to what oil line I can tap into to provide oil for the turbos. Not sure if it'll be necessary to run an external oil pump halfway between the motor and the turbos...
Old 12-12-13, 07:22 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

I forgot to mention that I'll be using the v bands. They're inside the 2 little white boxes in the pics. Today I'll be doing some more research as to what oil line I can tap into to provide oil for the turbos. Not sure if it'll be necessary to run an external oil pump halfway between the motor and the turbos...
I would really consider running a completely separate oil system for the turbos. As Gville350 mentioned turbos need very little oil so fitting a 1gallon tank on the left side of the trunk is easily do-able (Stew has his meth tank there, custom fitted to the floor, looks OEM).
This way if you ever cut an oil line you don't risk your motor...Also, its a cleaner setup just running trunk to turbos with a small pump. Just my opinion..
Old 12-12-13, 12:38 PM
Gville350

All right...now that's committment right there! Parts being purchased is a start, but you'd not be the first to purchase a turbo(s) and not go any further than that. But I have hope you'll pull through!

Yeah, start a build thread so we can follow the progress and help you along the way!

Old 12-12-13, 01:01 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
All right...now that's committment right there! Parts being purchased is a start, but you'd not be the first to purchase a turbo(s) and not go any further than that. But I have hope you'll pull through!

Yeah, start a build thread so we can follow the progress and help you along the way!

Not sure if you guys have seen my car's build thread but I am gonna go through with this!
I'll snap some more pics later today after work so I can start a build thread tomorrow. I would start on the fabrication of the system this weekend but I have a date on Sunday morning and I want to take my Lexus lol

I'll be taking it into the shop next week. If all goes well I'll be finished and running by next Friday
Old 12-12-13, 01:56 PM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This:
Originally Posted by mikellucci
I would really consider running a completely separate oil system for the turbos. As Gville350 mentioned turbos need very little oil so fitting a 1gallon tank on the left side of the trunk is easily do-able (Stew has his meth tank there, custom fitted to the floor, looks OEM).
This way if you ever cut an oil line you don't risk your motor...Also, its a cleaner setup just running trunk to turbos with a small pump. Just my opinion..
I provided links earlier in this thread for pumps for a dedicated oiling system. While turbos may not need a high volume of oil they still need 35-40 psi.

And:
Originally Posted by SH4DY
Engine management is a must IMO for a turbo set-up. An AEM FIC8 can be found for ~$500 and could very well be the difference between your motor lasting or not.
The guys that are running meth injection and nothing else with superchargers are taking a serious risk. That's a band-aid approach that doesn't work as well with turbos because the boost pressure isn't linear, is more prone to fluctuate with ambient temperature and is overall harder for the stock ECU to "learn". Timing induced detonation/knock typically kills a motor much faster than running slightly lean and counting on the stock ECU to be reactive and pull timing when knocking instead of proactively pulling timing is scary to me.
Use the FIC8 to do what it's meant to: pull timing under boost and control the port injectors to richen things up.
Don't bother looking at full standalone's right now as the only ones that can mimic the OEM ECU capabilities are $5k-10k.
Old 12-12-13, 02:07 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Short on time and not wanting to get into a full blown tech discussion with you but I'll say this: I never ever knocked my car datalogging it at an 8psi WOT run. Knock sensors never detected anything as well.

I had long in depth conversations with Steve Larkin long ago and learned A LOT from his genius of a mind including first hand experience shaking down these motors when they were brand new in 2005. He pioneered a S/C setup (among many other things) when people were afraid to put a midpipe on these cars. lol

In short, I couldn't disagree more with you for wanting to add a piggy of any kind to a forced induction system utilizing 7.5 psi and under on this platform. Additionally, water/meth is only to cool intake charge, its no bandaid of any kind for timing.....

Have you seen a Rotrex s/c spool on this car? Theres no boost build, its instant. I have vids. Turbo will be no different.

You bring up some valid concerns but they are accounted for with the applications we are talking about here. While I dont want to stop anyone from doing something different its just not necessary with 7psi. By all means, you wanna slap a piggy on this have it but your results will be nill...I'd venture to guess you would have issues with "in town driving" trying to tune out normal driving conditions the stock ecu does wonderfully.

Last edited by mikellucci; 12-12-13 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 02:35 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Good luck with the build!! Boost hasn't failed me in the 15+ thousand miles on my is250. Recently been pushing around 8-8.2psi and no issues. I had to reset my ecu recently and now it's back to "learning" and since it's a garage queen mostly now it hasn't had a chance to react to boost again. That's the only issue I've ever had with it and that goes away if you actually drive the car lol
Old 12-12-13, 03:22 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heyarms
Good luck with the build!! Boost hasn't failed me in the 15+ thousand miles on my is250. Recently been pushing around 8-8.2psi and no issues. I had to reset my ecu recently and now it's back to "learning" and since it's a garage queen mostly now it hasn't had a chance to react to boost again. That's the only issue I've ever had with it and that goes away if you actually drive the car lol
Glad to hear that you're car is doing great after all those miles. I'll be pm'ing you shortly. To ask a couple questions about your tune.
Old 12-12-13, 05:07 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to hear that you're car is doing great after all those miles. I'll be pm'ing you shortly. To ask a couple questions about your tune.
Stock ecu sir. The cars ecu "learns" on it's own, to some degree. It takes a hundred miles or more before I notice the throttle response is back.

Last edited by heyarms; 12-12-13 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-12-13, 05:46 PM
Gville350

^THANK YOU for the factory fuel/tune comments. Just solidifies what we've been trying to say.

e46m3lol, make sure you get Godspeed's recommendation on what oil pressure those journal bearing turbos should be seeing. It varies from manufacturers; ball-bearing turbos usually need 40ish psi, but I highly doubt those are BB turbos. Also ask about whether you need a restrictor for them; my Bullseye turbo didn't need one with the ID of the oil feed line I ran.

Best of luck!
Old 12-12-13, 06:03 PM
Gville350

Oh, here it is...the turbo "build" that never got anywhere :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-the-rest.html

I do love the idea of the self-contained turbo needing ZERO outside oil source; but am very curious how the unit is able to cool the oil after helping spin the turbines at 10s of thousands of rpms.

Quick Reply: Rear Turbo.