Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MidPipe on AWD, Confused! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 08:48 AM
TheVille
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MidPipe on AWD, Confused! HELP!

Hi! Ive been looking to install an invidia or megan midpipe on my AWD IS250, im very confused on why everyone on the forums is saying that the midpipe wont fit with the AWD models, im confused because i put my car up on a lift, and the Midpipe on it right now looks the same as the midpipes on the RWD models.

Please someone help me clarify why it wont fit....... is it the piping? The size of the pipe itself???
I really dont get it.
Also what other options do i have if it truly doesnt fit? How hard is it to custom a invidia midpipe to fit?
Thanks!
Old 11-12-13, 12:19 PM
TheVille
Driver

BUMP someone please help!
Old 11-12-13, 02:14 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The the mid pipes works on the RWD because it goes around the transmission to and forms a regular exhaust. The AWD has a front differential and the mid pipes are routed differently at the engine side. The pipes come around to only be on one side of the transmission if i recall but I havent had my car on a lift in a while
Old 11-12-13, 06:33 PM
TheVille
Driver

Like i said i had mine on the lift the other day and it seemed identical, but im reading everyone elses posts and i dont know what to think
Old 11-12-13, 07:03 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, there are no midpipe options for the AWD. The ultimate solution from other members was to get a RWD model, which only a few members I read have done.
Old 11-13-13, 06:42 AM
TheVille
Driver

Knguyenk, why is it not an option, thats what i am asking, i have read thousands of posts that it doesnt fit, but WHAT EXACTLY DOESNT FIT? How hard is it to custom? Like i said i put my AWD up on a lift and the midpipes look almost identical.
Old 11-13-13, 01:18 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no fit means no fit....what do you mean how?

if you want to custom then anything is possible...but of the box no means no

if a square stick doesn't fit in a circle hole..........do you ask how?
Old 11-13-13, 02:29 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TheVille
Knguyenk, why is it not an option, thats what i am asking, i have read thousands of posts that it doesnt fit, but WHAT EXACTLY DOESNT FIT? How hard is it to custom? Like i said i put my AWD up on a lift and the midpipes look almost identical.
Just like headers on 250 rwd don't fit awd and coilover rwd don't fit awd. Same goes for the midpipe if your that confident please go buy it and find out for yourself. Then you'll know why simple as that.
Old 11-13-13, 02:33 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to understand that the OEM midpipe does not look like the invidia. Maybe the OEM fits both rwd/awd but the way the invidia is designed, it doesnt clear some of the AWD components (which another poster already covered)............................
Old 11-13-13, 05:00 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

I'd imagine the AWD midpipe application does not have any performance gains that can justify making midpipes for the AWD; from an engineering standpoint that alone is enough to not even make a midpipe for the AWD, hence why there are no header applications for the AWD.

They may look identical at a glance, but the nitty gritty dimensions and angles will probably make the RWD midpipe incompatible with the AWD. Especially when the additional mechanical components of the AWD are factored in; my guess is that it would most likely rub on the transfer/differential case in the front and probably the driveshaft down the middle.

You can hack up the exhaust and add a bunch of mufflers like this user did (they seem to enjoy their setup): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...deep-tone.html
Old 11-13-13, 05:03 PM
TheVille
Driver

on thanks guys!
Old 04-24-14, 01:47 PM
blackgpgt
Rookie

Unless you have tried this on your own or own an AWD IS everyone that is chiming in should just stop talking because they clearly have no idea what they are talking about...I have had the dimensions for the stock mid-pipe vs the megan and invidia..All that realistically needs to be done is the flanges on the mid-pipe that would butt up the down-pipe off the stock headers would have to be cut "turned" and re-welded to get the right angle for the bolt holes to line up...other than that it is still a straight bolt on...Just a very expensive mid-pipe to cut and weld and pay for the labor. If the flanges lined-up it would be a straight bolt on.
Old 04-26-14, 09:48 AM
1BadTitan
Rookie

Originally Posted by blackgpgt
Unless you have tried this on your own or own an AWD IS everyone that is chiming in should just stop talking because they clearly have no idea what they are talking about...I have had the dimensions for the stock mid-pipe vs the megan and invidia..All that realistically needs to be done is the flanges on the mid-pipe that would butt up the down-pipe off the stock headers would have to be cut "turned" and re-welded to get the right angle for the bolt holes to line up...other than that it is still a straight bolt on...Just a very expensive mid-pipe to cut and weld and pay for the labor. If the flanges lined-up it would be a straight bolt on.
That being said, if you're local to Southern PA and wanna test this theroy, I'll do the cut and re-welding for free. I do motorcycle exhausts all the time, I have SS fill rod and a TIG unit, it'll look perfect.
Old 04-28-14, 07:06 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just want a bolt on option. Since the 3IS came out, and so many of them are AWD's I have a feeling the AWD mid pipe option will be available soon enough. I cant see companies NOT making a AWD option soon since there are a lot on the road now. And the 3IS undercarriage is very similar to the 2IS
Old 04-28-14, 09:23 AM
TheVille
Driver

Awesome! What I did was I just deleted my resonater..... Going to wait until a awd midpipe is released.

Quick Reply: MidPipe on AWD, Confused! HELP!