Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE vvt-i Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 06:42 PM
AWDtoyota
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GTE vvt-i Help

Hello all.

I am having problems with my 2jzgte vvt-i swap....well actually I haven't "swapped" it in yet.

I purchased a stock aristo front clip not to long ago. It started up, and ran perfect, while in the front cut.

I decided to service the engine while in the front clip, before pulling it, and installing in my GS300.
Everything in the front of the engine was changed. Timing belt, tensioner, intake (vvt-i) gear, cam seals, crank seal, water pump, valve cover gaskets, drive belt, etc...all the normal things.

Anyways, reassemble everything, and try to start the front clip...to verify it runs before pulling the motor.

Here is the problem,
It will start, but runs rough. Then after maybe 40secs or so, it dies. Start it again, and it repeats the same thing.

If I give it gas(open throttle slightly), it will stay running longer, but will die as soon as it goes back to idle.

I have taken it back apart and double checked the timing...it's correct. I went through all the plugs I disconnected, when servicing, to verify that they are plugged back in.

I pulled codes from the clip, by jumping E1 and Tc, on the little diagnostic box under the hood.
I got codes.

14, and 78.

78, is Fuel Pump Control, not worried about that one.
14, is Ignition Signal. I don't know what to go about checking pertaining to this code.

I verified all the plug wires are on, and the coil plugs. A few of the coil plug clips locking tabs are broken, but they are pushed on securely.

I am burnt out trying to get this thing running right. Hoping you guys may have some suggestions to look into....so I can finally get this swapped into my GS.

Running rough is a vague description, but I can take some video, if necessary.

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can provide.
Old 07-21-13, 10:25 PM
ttran480
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check all the teeth around the timing belt pulley the bottom pulley. You might accidentally knock out one of the teeth on the pulley when removing the timing belt.
Old 07-23-13, 06:57 AM
AWDtoyota
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what it was. I figured it out a few days later.

I've never had that happen before...

Just had to replace the crank timing gear.

Thanks